Saturday, October 4, 2008

Update 10/4/08

This weeks highs and lows:

Low - Beck started off this week (last Sunday) with vomiting twice. I thought that it was because of his "loose" cough that he was making himself throw-up (silly me). We watched him closely for the next couple of days and brushed it off.

High - I had my good friend Erica (amazing photographer) take Gwen's 2 year old and Beckham's 1 year old pictures. They turned out so great even though the kids were semi cooperative. Poor little Beck had labs a 1/2 hour before his pics and they had to draw lots of blood from his head. Luckily Erica was able to photoshop out the bruise from his head. Here are a few of my favorite pictures. Gee, my kids are so stinking cute! Click here & here for more info on Erica's photography business.




Low - By Tuesday night Beckham was super fussy and grabbing his ears (here we go again) and so Wednesday morning I took him to the doctor and he was diagnosed with a double ear infection. Too bad he could not get a Rocephin shot for the infection. Last time he was given one he had an allergic reaction and broke out in hives. Now we have to deal with giving him oral antibiotics by mouth. I hate giving oral antibiotics to a baby...specifically Beckham.

High - I finally mailed off the "thank you" letter to the donor family of Beckham's heart. This has been a very hard thing for Nate and I to put into words our gratitude for the gift of life that was given to us and when it was finally finished (only a year late) it brought us tremendous peace. We would love to get a response from the donor but we would absolutely understand if we do not. I just hope that the letter brings them some peace also.

Low - The day after Beck's ear infection diagnosis he started throwing up again. He was throwing up so much that we had to take him to the ER (our home away from home) for fluids. It took 4 pokes to finally get a vein for an IV, but once the fluids and Zofran was in his system he stated to look a lot better. The ER doc was great and promised to try and treat us as "out patients" so that we would not have to stay over night. I think that she could tell that we were a little sick of the hospital. Too bad that Beck did not stay happy very long. It has been three days since the ER visit and he is still vomiting. Luckily we have extra Zofran, but if he does not knock it off soon then we will have to be in the hospital over night. Poor little guy! He looks terrible. He is super cute and cuddly right now but that is because he feels like crap!

High - Beck's blood pressure has decided to stabilize and he was taken off of Enalipril. He is now only on one medication (except for the antibiotic for his ear infection). We have never had so little medication to worry about (knock-on-wood). What an amazing little guy.

Low - Beckham has decided not to walk again since the video we posted last week. Oh well. I guess that I will have to keep carrying him around.

High - I finally started to teach aerobics again! I am only teaching to a bunch of friends from church and the neighborhood, but it sure feels great to get out and be doing something that I love.

I don't think that our lives would be complete without the low's & high's that we experience every week. Even though they are sometimes frustrating and trying, they are part of who we are and we would not be the same without them.

Hope your week has much more high's and a lot less low's!

11 comments:

Leeann said...

BEAUTIFUL pictures! I hope your little man starts feeling better soon!

Crystal said...

Oh Man... I sure hope he gets over these infections and stops throwing up. Otherwise both our heart babies are going to end up with ear tubes (I think Noah has an infections right now too and if he does... off to the ENT we go).

Also, I can't believe you sent your letter!! I kid you not when I say mine when out TODAY! crazy.

I miss you guys.

Crystal

Ryan & Holly Willard said...

I love the pics they are so cute!

lexie said...

Loved the pics! Your kids totally have your eyes! THey are so adorable! I am sorry about all the lows but glad you had some highs. Everytime I make it to an aerobics class-which isn't as often as I would like-I always think of you and taking you class at SUU! Great times!

Sandi said...

I love those pics. Your kids are so cute. Your friend did a great job.
Sorry to hear about Beck. I hope he starts feeling better soon for his sake and yours.
Yeah I'm so glad that you are teaching aerobics again. I want to go!

Sarah said...

LOVE the pictures, your children are so beautiful! You are such an amazing person to keep a great attitude, I hope Beck continues to feel better!

Laken said...

Pics are FABULOUS! Gwen and Beck are so adorable. I can't imagine what that letter said. I would cry and cry... and cry and cry. I know you are so grateful. Hopefully Baby Beck will get to feeling better soon! I feel so bad for him... Oakley stays sick a lot too, but of nothing to the extent of Beck's. An ear infection is nothing to you all. I have so much admiration. :)

Ben, Rebecca, Natali, Isaac, Spencer said...

Glad Beck is down to very minimal med's. That is great news! And I hope he stops throwing up...not fun, for all parties involved. How FAB that you are teaching aerobics! I LOVE aerobics and wish I lived that much closer to enjoy your talents!

Niki Carter said...

Oh boy! I hate being in the hospital and I hate sickness! I wish that all kids could just be healthy and happy all of the time. I guess these are the times when we have to think of how much bette things are then they could be. The pictures turned out great! I hope Beckham feels better soon. I'm glad you mailed the letter. I am sure that it will bring the donors joy!

Natalie said...

Your kids are cute. Life really is a list of highs and lows, and you hope to have the energy to concentrate most fully on the highs (although it doesn't always work out that way :) And I totally wish I could come to your aerobics class. I haven't done aerobics since high school with Jasperson. Did you have her? Whenever I hear a Ricky Martin song I think of her class.

kdance said...

Oh, man! Becks! Poor little dude. Is he feeling better now??? Dave told me you called the other day. Call me again anytime, or I'll give you a ring. Those photo's are so amazing! I LOVE them! I wish so bad I could come to your aerobics class :( I miss you!