Monday, October 27, 2008
Update 10/27/2008
Today we learned that Beckham was seizing because he was having a stroke. There is a bleed at the site of the clot and that was the causative factor of yesterday's seizure activity.
Tonight he had another seizure episode (around 9pm) in which again became unresponsive to environment and his eyes turned into a left fixed gaze. Also, like yesterday Ativan was used to stop symptoms. He is now sleeping heavily as is common after a seizure.
As for what to do next nobody knows the right answer. Heparin is an option, but because of his low platelet count it could increase bleeding. Not giving heparin is an option, but despite taking away the risk of bleeding you are now risking further thrombosis (clotting). Because of the location of the bleed surgery is not an option.
Decisions are made in a collaborative effort between the intensivists, pediatric neurologists, pediatric hematologists, and his cardiologists.
As for Kim and I the only thing that compares in how difficult it is to watch Beckham go through this is what we watched him go through the first 16 days of his life. This is a close second.
We can only ask that you keep him in your thoughts and prayers. Also keep his healthy care providers in mind as you pray for they face many difficult decisions concerning is route of care.
It is difficult not to have our little man entertain us with his contagious laugh and smile that are available anytime of day when he is healthy.
Again, we will try and keep you updated. We understand that those who know Beckham love him as much as we do.
Beckham & Co.
Tonight he had another seizure episode (around 9pm) in which again became unresponsive to environment and his eyes turned into a left fixed gaze. Also, like yesterday Ativan was used to stop symptoms. He is now sleeping heavily as is common after a seizure.
As for what to do next nobody knows the right answer. Heparin is an option, but because of his low platelet count it could increase bleeding. Not giving heparin is an option, but despite taking away the risk of bleeding you are now risking further thrombosis (clotting). Because of the location of the bleed surgery is not an option.
Decisions are made in a collaborative effort between the intensivists, pediatric neurologists, pediatric hematologists, and his cardiologists.
As for Kim and I the only thing that compares in how difficult it is to watch Beckham go through this is what we watched him go through the first 16 days of his life. This is a close second.
We can only ask that you keep him in your thoughts and prayers. Also keep his healthy care providers in mind as you pray for they face many difficult decisions concerning is route of care.
It is difficult not to have our little man entertain us with his contagious laugh and smile that are available anytime of day when he is healthy.
Again, we will try and keep you updated. We understand that those who know Beckham love him as much as we do.
Beckham & Co.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
18 comments:
Nate, I'll pray for you guys. I couldn't be you right now, you guys are so strong.
Lexie (your cousin)
Nate and fam,
I sure do love you guys! I have been thinking of sweet little Beckham all day. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you...I know all will be well. You guys hang in there and know that we love your family so much and will have you all in our prayers. (p.s. I love the pic below with the utes hat....you taught him well Nate!)
thanks for the update. praying for all...
You guys, especially Beckham and doctors, are in my thoughts and prayers!!
This is Amy, your cousin, Aunt Bonnie's Grand-daughter!!
Little Beckham, and all of you, including your Dr's have all been in our thoughts and prayers all day. We will continue. You are all amazingly strong.
Kim and Nate. Please know that you have many praying for you in Utah! We so wish we could be there to help support you in any way we can. We send our love and prayers!! - Tricia
We are praying for you and the doctors. Hang in there- you are amazingly strong!
The Allreds
We'll keep you in our prayers as always. We love you!
The Cheneys
You're in my thoughts.
S
Oh Guys! I hate to visit your blog and get this news. It breaks my heart. Yesterday, I had to take Oakley to get a blood draw to end a research program she is in, and they had to stick her in both arms and she wailed and wailed. I couldn't stay in the room bc I couldn't handle it. Then, I thought of you all and ALL that you have been through. And your little family, especially Beck, inspired me to pull it together and be strong. Although I have never physically met you all, you hold a very special place in my heart and I am sending up prayers for you all. Much love.
Your family continues to be in our prayers. Thanks for the update and let us know if you need anything.
Sara Stinger
Just wanted you to know your family is in our prayers. We love you!
The Webbs
I'm so glad I got to talk to you today. Again, I'm praying away for Beckham, you, and all the doctors taking care of him. Give Beck another kiss from me. Love you and miss you so much!
Kim, etc -
Dad told me about your recent trouble with Beck - I just wanted to let you know that I'll be keeping all of you in my prayers. I've enjoyed keeping track of your family over the last few months - hang in there!
Love,
Joni
I am hoping for the best for your little fam and those responsible for Beckham's care.
You're in our thoughts and prayers.
Kim,
We will keep you in our prayers. Beckham is in great hands, he was wonderful parents.
You are in my thoughts and prayers . . . Nicole
We appreciate the updates and pray that things improve soon.
Post a Comment