Friday, August 17, 2007

Happy Transplant Day +1 (8/17/07)

As most of you know Beckham received a new heart yesterday and we couldn't be happier with how the whole process transpired.
(Getting ready to go down to the OR)

Beckham went into surgery yesterday at around noon where they got him ready for the event to come. His heart didn't actually arrive in Iowa City until close to 2:30pm. What they do is try and have Beckham open and his old heart removed as the new heart is coming through the OR doors. That way Beckham has a minimal time without a heart and the new heart spends minimal time outside of a human body. We didn't get a whole lot of updates during the process, but the couple times that they called us it was to tell us how well the whole process was going and they gave us estimated time lines of when he would be returning. What was great is that everything went faster than they expected and he was back in his room at 6:30 that night without any unexpected complications.

Before the surgery took place we told them that they could keep his old heart for educational purposes being that this is a University hospital. They are actually going to now put his heart in a museum that they have because it was so unique in its defects. His heart turned out to be much worse than expected. Not only was the mitral valve extremely malformed, but the other valve (the tri-cuspid) was equally inefficient. Neither valve was anatomically correct in its form. Both valves sat flat against the walls of their respective chambers and weren't connected to any chordae tendinae (little chords connected to the valves that help in the blood flow process). Looking back at how poorly his heart had formed it is amazing he did as well as he did up until the transplant took place. In the picture to the left (of a normal heart) you can see the chordae tendinae are shown connected to the tricuspic valve and the mitral valve. He didn't have either of them connected at all as both valves were pressed against the surrounded walls. Later they are going to let me see his old heart and I'll take some pictures.

Since he has been back from surgery he has done very well...he came back looking like he had just returned from war (which is common in surgery), but he cleaned up quite nicely. In fact he looks great and is doing great so far. They have slowly been weaning a variety of drugs and interventions. They will continue to do so everyday as long as he tolerates the tapering. His scar should even be fairly small (eventually) as they didn't use stitches, but glue. They have plenty of padding over it right now so that it will not be aggravated, but it should eventually heal very nicely. Kim saw the scar of a little girl that had a transplant just last October and said that it looks good. It is white and flat without any keloid (large bumps) characteristics.

(A few of the many staff members working on our little guy after the operation)

Talking with physicians (and just watching them the last few days), Beckham's new heart couldn't have come at a better time. He was beginning to show signs that he could start going downhill at anytime. We can't express our gratitude enough for the family that decided to put their beloved child on the donor list. We will likely never know who it was, or even where the heart came from, but their selfless decision at such a difficult time in their lives will always be appreciated and will provide the means necessary for Beckham to live a great life. Hopefully this well help us all to check 'yes' on that donor box next time while renewing our driver's licenses.

We are all exhausted after such a long and emotional day, but we couldn't be happier with how things have gone up until now. They are quick to remind us that many difficulties are yet to come and that Beckham still has a lot to accomplish in just the next few days, but they are also very pleased with the progress that he has made.

The staff here has been incredible. Dr. Davis did the surgery and we are told that his experience with such an operation is surpassed by few. Dr. Edens is Beck's transplant physician and it has been great to work with him. He has worked night and day for our child and we couldn't be more grateful for his efforts. There is also a large team of physicians, nurse practitioners, nurses, respiratory therapists, social workers, and many many others who deserve a great thanks. The staff here at University of Iowa has been great...it is safe to say we are converted Hawkeyes! (though still Utes first ;-))

Thank you so much for your prayers and efforts over the last few weeks, though we hope that they will continue as there is still much to accomplish. Miracles have happened to our little family over the last few weeks and we have come to learn so much.

Thank you to everybody that deserves a thank you.

Love,
Nate, Kim, Gwen, and the 'new and improved' Beckham

(This picture was taken just this morning. Good looking kid, eh?)

PS - Another few things we should note. The same day that Beckham got his heart a cousin of ours went home after having a transplant in beginning of July. You can read Noah's story as many of his issues our similar to what we are now facing. We are grateful to Noah and these cousins that we didn't even know before the last couple of weeks for helping us have a story and people with whom we could relate.

Oh and big Beckham scored his first goal since moving to the United States on Wednesday night. I was watching the game and as he scored I thought "Okay Becks you have yours now we need ours". It was in that same hour that Dr. Edens received the first call that there was a potential heart for our little boy. Relevant? Probably not, but cool none-the-less.

35 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratualtions Scadlock family! We will definetly continue to pray for him!! GOOD LUCK!!

Abbey

Jenny Groberg said...

Nate & Kim,

I don't know if you remember me, but I've seen Kim at a few events like Nikki's shower and Erica's present party. Anyway, you guys are in our prayers. I was able to go to the Nauvoo temple with my in-laws on Wednesday and put Beck's name on the prayer roll. How awesome he was able to get a new heart. I hope all goes well.

Take Care,
Jenny Groberg

McGiven Family.... said...

We are so happy to hear that everything went so well with the surgery. We will pray for things to continue to go well. You seem to have so much faith and be so strong, what an amazing gift. Good luck with all the recovery. You will continually be in our thoughts!
Sarah Hill McGiven

Anonymous said...

Oh happy day it is! Say, did you meet Dr. Ian Law? He is a pediatric cardiologist friend there in IC. He worked with my son Ethan when we were in Ann Arbor. If you see him, tell him the Ragner's say hello!!! A heart transplant. It's amazing how little time you had to wait. God bless

{Erica} said...

Congratulations to all! Sounds like Beck is off to a great start! We will continue to pray for him and you family. Thanks for taking the time to update your site and let us know what's going on!

ps as a total Beckham fan it is SO NOT a coincidence that the scoring of the goal happened at the same time...at least not to this fan of both Beckhams! :)

Debbi said...

Congratulations! We are so glad that everything went well yesterday with little Beckham. Our prayers have been with you guys - and the other family, what an amazing gift Beckham recieved!!!

We will keep you all in our prayers, and cheer for you all!

Anonymous said...

Miracles do happen, and prayers are answered. Congratulations on this terrific news! Beckham, his family and the medical staff continue to be in our thoughts and prayers. Enjoy each sweet moment with your beautiful baby. He will be too big and too fast to keep up with before you know it!
God Bless!
Christina
and the Allied Team in Lincoln)

Nicole said...

Hi you guys! Ryan forwarded on your blogspot to us of which we are so grateful, as we had no idea you were going through this. We are thrilled to hear that everything went well yesterday. What a little trooper and fighter it sounds like from what he had to work with on that heart he had. We pray he continues to get better & better. We are so greatful to that family that donated their childs heart as well, as we are your family too and we share in your excitement and gratitude. Congratulations!! Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this time.

Love,
Jeff & Nicole Willard (and Jacqueline & Jillian too)

Anonymous said...

Nate,
It is the girls in Hem/Onc clinic. We are so happy for you and your family. What a tough little guy you have. We wish you the best. We can't believe that you are going through so much, stay strong and it will all be over before you know it. We love Beckham!

Anonymous said...

I was so glad when I heard he was getting the heart I almost did a little dance. It is such great news that he is doing well. I must say it is amazing to see what this little guy has done in his first weeks of life. Congratulations!!!! We will continue to pray for you all.

Ryan said...

HAPPY DAY! Congratulations! Little Beck is an incredible fighter. I am soo happy for you guys adn will keep you all in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

I can't express how much joy and excitement I've felt in the past 24 hours. Dave and I are so happy for Beckham. In the words of Michael Scott, "It's really the greatest day of all time" ;)
Love, Karin, Dave, and Baby Evan

Anonymous said...

Just wanted you to know that I still think of your family every day. I was so happy to hear that he got a heart, and even happier to hear all has gone well. I wish Beckham the best of luck over the next few days and weeks. Kim & Nate - your faith is amazing and inspiring. Good luck to you all. I'll keep you all in my prayers!!

Stephanie (Mercy NICU)

Anonymous said...

What a fighter little Beckham is! I'm sure he has a long journey still to come, but what he has gone through thus far and accomplished is amazing! What a sweet little boy! We'll continue to pray for you!

Haylee Mollerup

Anne-Marie said...

CONGRATS!! It's so good to hear such good news. I have had that donor family in my thoughts as well and I'm certain they can hear your prayers (as you have heard others') What a blessing this life is, isn't it? Thank you for keeping us all included in your miracles. Best of luck in the next step of your journey!

Anonymous said...

Scadlock Family-

We're so happy to hear that little Beck's transplant went so great! We couldn't be happier for you all! We love you guys so much and you're constantly in our thoughts and prayers! Take care and keep us posted.

Love-
Brooke, Wade and Paige

Unknown said...

Congrats once again. I am so excited that things went so well, I know there will be upcoming challenges, but you have just past a big one. Good luck and we will continue to pray for you all. Love and miss you,
Meghan, Tom and Eden

Anonymous said...

WOW, this is great!

Courtney said...

I can't tell you how thrilled we are for your little guy! We love you guys so much and pray for you constantly. Your family deserves the absolute best, and it sounds like you've got them with you! We love you!

Love,
Doug, Court & Drew

Anonymous said...

Much love to Becks, keep your faith you all are in our prayers

FCscooby and family
Orem UT

The Jones Fam said...

Congrats you guys!
What a miracle! We will continue to pray for you and Beckham! I am so amazed by the strength your little boy and for your strength!
Love,
Natalie

Elder Enger said...

Scadzz, congrats and we'll keep you and Becks in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

How exciting. Some day I can't wait to meet the other miracles born to this family. We sure have been entrusted with something amazing. Congrats and our prayers of comfort to the family of the donor heart!!

Anonymous said...

Scadzz, I am so happy to hear the good news. Way to go Beckham!! Keep it up!

-Charles (aka ccb1212)

Anonymous said...

Kim and the whole family! Congratulations on your little one. I do hope and know that everything will be ok. It's good to have such good doctors around you. Our prayers are with you! GOOD LUCK!

Zehra P.

The Allen Family said...

Hey Kim,

This is Krissa Russo (Allen)! I just happened to run on to your blog and was so excited. It seems that things have been kind of crazy lately for you and I am happy that your baby boy is doing ok and that the surgery went well! You will be in our thoughts and prayers. Love you and I am glad I caught up with you!

Krissa

Anonymous said...

Kimmy and family,
I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS for everything. It is nice to hear such good news about your little guy. Also nice to see that Gwen is being amazing entertainment for you guys and the staff at the hospital. You guys are in my thoughts and I'm pulling for your Beckham.

Deana Cruikshank

Heather Ballard said...

Kim,
I was so glad to hear from you. It has been so long. I've ran into your mom a few times and she's kept me updated on you and Gwen. But I didn't know you had another baby. This story really touched our hearts. It inspired my husband to be an organ donor now. We will pray for you and your family.

Anonymous said...

He IS lookin' good!! Congratulations to you all. Pete and I are praying for all the best from here on out! Hope to see you all home soon. Take care, Carissa R

M said...

Kim and Nate,
Congratulations! You have been and will continue to be in our prayers.
Micaela (Draper)and family

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness. I found the link to your blog via a BYU Cougar fan blog. They recommended I read this blog. Oh, how I wept as I read how your little boy's life was saved.

I too had a defective heart, but Elder Russell Nelson was able to do, what he called, a fancy plumbing job and put me back together.

I know that the baby who returned so quickly to his or her Heavenly Father is ecstatic that their heart could grant life to such a precious child whose mission was not yet done.

I'm so happy for you!

Anonymous said...

I am thrilled to hear the great news! My prayers are with your family, may Beckham gain strength each and every day! Stay positive, and all will be well.

Sending love to you,
Cara George

Mia said...

I was just directed to this blog and have lost touch of Kim for several years. I am so glad your little boy's surgery went well and I hope for a swift recovery and a long happy life. Give my best to Kim!

deafblogger26 said...

Congratulations Nate,Kim,Gwen and of course Baby Beckham!!!!
It's good to hear He finally got a heart! I'll continue to pray for him everyday. Hope the little guy recovers well. Good Luck Baby Beck!! Love y'all Lots!!!

Your Cuz,
McCall Scadlock

Anonymous said...

Nate & Family,
I've been reading your blog after hearing about it through the PCMC Grapevine. I'm so glad to hear that sweet little Becks has received his heart!! What a wonderful blessing that a heart was found so quickly! I am keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers! Take care!
Andi Davidson, PCMC