Tuesday, October 28, 2008

10/28/2008

(This is another pic taken just a few hours before the stroke)

While our world still seems to be spinning quicker than usual things were a little better today. Beckham was more alert and we were able to experience some of his awesome personality between his naps of exhaustion. He used a few of his favorite words, "daddy" - "bubbles" - "Elmo", and he began eating (drinking) again.

We had talks with the different specialty physicians today and each had different things to say about his condition. The hematology team is really focusing on blood (as hematology does) to be sent out for testing. They are looking to see if he has any sort of clotting disorder. During our converstation many rare disorders were discussed, but we are in wait and see mode. His platelets had a slight recovery today, which should help immediately with the brain bleed, but we still are not sure why the thrombocytopenia exists in the first place. Not sure why the clotting does either. (For those that don't know it is a really strange combo to have clotting issues along with low platelets)

The neurology team is happy with the progress that he has made so far. They plan on continuing with the heparin drip to break down existing thrombi while preventing new clots from forming. They have also started him on Keppra, an anti-convulsant, to increase his brain's seizure threshold. He still has some frightening moments when he seems like he is not going to respond to stimuli, but he has yet to seize since last night.

Interestingly enough, his heart has been golden through this whole process and seems to be the least of our current worries.

I need to shout out a huge "Thank You" to the Nursing Students in the State of Iowa. For those that don't know, I am a nursing student and will be graduating with a BSN in Decemember (well if Beck stops getting hospitalized so I can go to school). Over the last year I have served on the Iowa Association of Nursing Students Board of Directors as the Public Relations Director. This Monday and Tuesday was the huge convention that we have been planning as a board for nearly 600 of Iowa's nursing students from all over the state. It happened to be held in Coralville IA, adjacent to Iowa City so I was already going to be here this week even if this hadn't happened with Beckham. Well I was part of the planning, but I didn't make the first day or most of the second day of the conference because my time was better spent with Becks. Because his condition improved I did go over to be part of the ending meeting of the convention if for no other reason than to have a quick break from the hospital. Well I found out that they had done a fundraiser in Beckham's honor and hundreds of attendees, most of whom I had never met before donated to our family. All I can say is thank you so much to everybody there and thank you to my fellow Board Members (well ex-Board Members, part of the annual convention is voting in a new Board). Thank you all.

Also, my parents flew in from Utah last night and Gwen couldn't be happier playing with Gwamma and Papa. It is a relief to have a situation in which Gwen can get the attention she deserves.

Again thank you for your thoughts and prayers, we know they are helping.

The Beckham Bunch

8 comments:

Nelson Family said...

We are so happy to hear that you are on the up. We realize you still have a long way to climb with Beck, but good to hear that he is improving! We will continue to pray for you!

Leeann said...

You are in my prayers! I hope you get the answers you seek, soon.

{Erica} said...

Yay for good news. We hope they find out more info ...that "wait and see" period is just so frustrating.

Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Nate and all, Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Natalie said...

I'm praying for you every day. I hope things get better soon.

Laken said...

Still praying.

kdance said...

Okay, you guys are cracking me up with your weird dates in the subject. Last time it was July 27, now it's December 18. I won't hold it against you though--you've definitely had a lot of other stuff on your mind. I've been praying so hard for Beck and you guys and his doctors. I know that I'm just one of countless others doing so, so hang in there! All these prayers will help get this all sorted out and Beckham will be on his way home in no time! I sure love that little dude so much and just want to hold him and hug him. I'm so sad to be so far away now. By the way, Evan has those same jammies which he is wearing right now! Go COSTCO! Great minds think alike.

kdance said...

P.S. Evan sends lots of hugs and slobbery kisses Beckhams way :) He misses his little buddy so much. (I miss my little buddy Kimmie, too)