
This website was previously used to update our families how life is going in Iowa. Due to the overwhelming response of all of our wonderful friends and family, Kim and I are going to now use this website to give updates on our new little guy and the adventures our family will now face . We want everybody to know how much we appreciate every phone call, email, text message, prayer, and moment of caring. Events like these really help us to realize how great our lives are and how great the people around us have always been.
Because everybody is receiving this information at different stages in the process I will begin with (logically) the beginning and try and explain how our little guy is doing.
Baby Beck was born at 11:54am on Wednesday the first day of August. The labor process went well and Kim did great. All seemed well and they handed us our baby boy to cuddle and woo which was a bit different from the Gwen experience as Beckham weighed 8 lbs. 11 oz. and is 20.5 inches long. Our little peanut Gwen was a whopping 7 lbs. 2 oz. (she continues to be a little peanut) and so we were proud of a new big boy.
We held Beck for about an hour before I decided to go home and pick up big sister Gwen to see her new little brother. It was as I was readying to leave that I received a call from Kim informing me that in a matter of no-time, the nurses had detected a heart murmur and Beckham was rushed to the NICU at Blank Children's Hospital to be further evaluated by pediatric cardiologists. I rushed back to the hospital without Gwen (who was being watched by our wonderful friends the Giles) in time to see him in that NICU as they were planning to transfer him again; this time to Mercy Medical Center's NICU where they are more equipped to handle cardiac patients.
Beckham has a congenital heart condition called Mitral Valve Stenosis. It is a rare cardiac
anomaly in which the mitral valve is narrowed, stiffened, and in his case even incomplete. It is very serious and the pediatric cardiologists told us that the situation is grim. (The picture on the right is a diagram of the heart you can use to reference terms)
As you can see from the picture on the left (taken from the Mayo Clinic website) the hardened mitral valve (also referred to as the bicuspid valve) doesn't allow blood to flow properly from the left atrium to the left ventricle. Two major complications arise from this - 1) Blood backs up in the left atrium and eventually enlarges the heart. 2) The left ventricle is the last stop for blood before it goes to the rest of the body so when it isn't there to be pumped the body isn't getting the needed blood or oxygen. This obviously leads to many more problems.To relieve the pressure in the left atrium they did a little procedure (an Atrial Septostomy) in which they sent a balloon tipped - catheter (deflated) through his umbilicus...up through the inferior vena cava...into the right atrium...through a little whole in the septum wall that separates the right atrium and the left atrium (which is found in newborns)...and into the left atrium. Once there they inflated the balloon and gave it a tug to try and increase the size of the hole in the atria. Cardiac demolition? By doing so they hope that the pressure within the left atrium could be somewhat alleviated. Due to a hardened septum wall they broke 2 balloons before successfully pulling the third one through. They then removed the catheter and waited until the following morning to do follow up testing.
This morning our pediatric cardiologists (3 different ones) visited us today and did more X-Rays and a very thorough echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart). They found that the procedure had done its job and there was less pressure in the left atrium. They also found new problems in the process. They now found that neither of the valves on either the right side or left side of the heart are working properly. There is valvular leakage found on both sides. They rate the severity of the leakage on a scale 1 - 4 and Beck is at a 4...most severe. That causes problems in that blood doesn't flow to the body delivering oxygen to his extremities and organs. It also means that blood is backing up in the left atrium...potentially all the way back into the lungs. That has happened with him though they are giving him medications (Lasix) to alleviate that issue. It is called pulmonary edema (fluid in the lungs) and can make breathing very difficult if left untreated. Beckham is currently on a ventilator that breathes for him, but he is a little bruiser and he has been trying to breath by himself over the vent.
Now we just wait and see how he grows. He is too small to receive a mitral valve replacement at this time without a huge risk to life; though if push came to shove it would be attempted. Hopefully his heart will grow and mature a little bit more and be able to provide just enough flow that we can get to the point of a safer surgery. There is no chance for things to fix themselves...he will need surgery of some sort someday. We will know a bit more in the days (weeks?) to come. If he doesn't grow and his heart doesn't provide the needed flow then they did mention that there could be the need for a heart transplant. If so, they don't do that in Des Moines, and there would be a whole slew of new information and decisions.As for his current condition a good description would be 'critically stable'. His condition is critical, but he is stable for now...it is the future that remains uncertain at this time. We will continue to update his condition as we know more and as we can. I just wrote everything above while sitting in his room trying to remember the day's events...I can't guarantee that all the medical information is presented 100% correctly (and I'm too lazy to reread), but it is presented with my mind's best effort (which was nothing to write home about in the first place). If you want to do more research on your own there are great websites such as the Mayo Clinic website.
I hope the above helps, but most importantly we need to give thanks to everybody that has helped us and prayed for us over the last two days. Our wonderful friends from church, my work, Kim's work, school, and our friends and family in Utah have been amazing. The response has been unbelievable. I wish I could thank everybody in name, but I admittedly haven't even always had the presence of mind to know who I was talking to during supportive phone calls. There are a large group of people that deserve a special thanks for going above and beyond for us these last two days in many different ways (If you read that and thought "Are they talking about me (us)?" the answer is yes).
We rely greatly on our Heavenly Father at this time and we are eternally grateful for the spiritual support that has been offered on our behalf from our friends at church and from our wonderful friends of different faiths...it is amazing how a cause like our Baby Beck can unite so many beliefs into one. We have had many visits from Bishop Pence and are grateful for how Waukee Ward has offered us so much support and given us so much.
While we don't know what the future may hold, we do know that if we do our part this experience will make us better and stronger people...regardless of outcome. Our Baby Beckham, though small, has already helped us to learn many of the most important lessons in life.
Our ward will be holding a special fast this Sunday (8/5) for Beckham, we invite all of our friends and family to fast and pray for him on this day.
Love,
Nate, Kim, Gwen, and Beckham

39 comments:
Nathan, Kim, Gwen and Beckham.
We love you so much and our thoughts are prayers have been - -and will continue to be with you and little Beck. He is beautiful and we are so grateful he is here.
Our Father in Heaven is with you..... and will always be. Keep the faith. We are so proud of you.
Love,
Kally, Mark, Cassidy and Lindsey
Hi Nate and Kim,
Jeff and I are so thankful that Beckham has made it this far. Nate, thanks so much for the detailed information on this blog, it is really wonderful.
We love you guys so much and hope for the very best outcome for Beckham.
Nate, Kim, Gwen, and Beckham,
I just wanted to tell you how much I love you and that you are all in my thoughts and prayers every minute. He is an adorable baby and I am thankful that he is made it this far and I know that he is being watched over.
Love you,
Miquel
Scadlock Family...
We are so blessed to have the faith, and know that we each are never alone. Seems at times like these we can feel the warmth around us. We will keep You, Kim, Gwen and Beck in our thoughts and prayers. We love you and care deeply for each of you.
Andrew and Crystal
Hey guys,
The Grover's just wanted to let you know how much we love you guys and wish we could do more for you than we can. We are here for you, whatever you need.
And to you little Beck, THANK YOU so much for touching the lives of so many at only 3 days old. Charity, love, empathy, sympahty and other grand yet humble attributes have been brought out of many because of you. You are the sweetest little one and truly an angel.
Our love, thoughts and prayers to you the Scadlock family.
Love,
Bret, Erica, Ella and Mailee Grover
Kim and family-
Thoughts and prayers are with you from the leadership team in the Lincoln Service Center.
Angela Hansen
Count us in on the fasting and praying!! You guys are amazing and let us know if there is anything else that we can do in UT!! We love you!!! Love the Buhlers (Mike, Sarah and Brinley)
Hi Kim and Nate,
My kids and I are praying for little Beckham, I know God is looking down on him and taking good care of him.
God bless you and your family.
Tiff
Kim & Nate,
Beckham looks like fighter.... but how could he not be @ 8.11 :)!! Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Love you,
Christina and Paul
Hi Nathan,Kim,Gwen & Beck
We are all thinking about you, and love you very much. The kids ask constantly about the status of Beck. Kyle, Brittany, Allie and Taylor all wanted you to know that they miss you. We wish we were closer. We loved the pictures of Beck. He is a beautiful baby.
Love Terry, Nicole and the Kids
Kim,
I'm so sorry to hear that little Beckham is having such a hard time. Ryan and I will keep your family in our prayers. We love you so much and wish the best for Beckham.
Ryan, Christi, Kaitlyn, and Emily Dalton
Nate and Kim,
We're praying! Please let us know if we can do anything for you way out here in Utah. You are a wonderful little family and Heavenly Father will bless you! Love Always, Barry and Kelli Crosby and Family
Kim,
I just wanted to let you know that you and little Beckham and the rest of your family have been in our prayers. I'm sorry to hear about little Beckham's heart problems.......know that he has many prayers in his behalf and your behalf.
Haylee Mollerup
Hi Scadlocks,
We are thinking and praying for you. You are all amazing and so strong. Please let me know of we can do anything. We love you.
Sand, Denim, Brooklyn, and Ava
Nate and Kim,
Just wanted you to know that the PICU is thinking of you and Beckham! Everyone wants to help in anyway we can so please call if you can think of anything!!! I will be praying for both of you and Beckham.
Scadlock Family,
I have you in my prayers! God will take care of little Beckham!Continue with your faith and belief of miraculous healing.
Take Care!
Lindsey M.
Hi Kim and Nathan,
Our hearts are with you! Everything came to a stop when we heard about little (little,adorable broozer, 8 lbs. 11 oz.) Beckam and we all (Danny and me, Heather and Aaron, and Natalie and John)immediately prayed for your sweet family and Beckam. Your blog is very informative. You seem to have been blessed with a special strength to deal with this--hard as it is. Oh, my goodness, we think about you constantly. Natalie just had a little girl, one month ago. These little people are so precious and so close to our Heavenly Father. We will fast with you on Sunday.
Love,
Robin Olsen and family
Kim,
Stay strong, I know little Beck will get through this!! I am definatly repaying all the postive thoughts and prayers that you had passed to my baby in these last few months back to your family. Best of luck and God Bless.
Abbey
Kim, Nate, Gwen, and Baby Beckham;
What incredible faith you have shown. He sure does look like a fighter. I just want you to know that I love you and I will pray hard for your little guy. You two are amazing people. Gwen and Beckham are lucky to have you as parents. If I can do anything, let me know. Thanks for the update!
Jana
Hey Scadlocks,
Our prayers have been with you for the past few days. We fasted this week and will again on Sunday!
If there is anything that you need then please don't hesitate to call us or ask.
You guys are such a strong and amazing family! Little Beckham is such a cutie and we are so touched to have you guys as friends in our life.
-Wade, Debbi, Gage & Noah
Nathan,Kim,Sweet Gwen & Adorable Beckham. What a beautiful family you have, Beckham is a beautiful baby along with our little Gwen. We are so proud of you two and the way you are taking care of things. We really appreciate all of the information to help us understand things better. You are in our thoughts and prayers and we love you all very much!! G Judy & G Joe
The wonderful Scadlocks,
I've never known so many people to band together for a family as wonderful as yours. Beckham is certainly uniting everyone you know together. Doug and I are praying for you and your sweet Beckham. Thank you so much for giving Doug and I the opportunity to help with Gwen. We absolutely love having her!
Love,
Doug, Court and Drew
Hey guys,
I love you and I hope for the best you are in my prayers. Let me know if there is anything that I can do. Give Gwen and Beckham a kiss for me. I love you!
Love,
Haley
Nate, Kim, Gwen and Beckham,
You are such wonderful people and we love you so much. Beckham is absolutely beautiful, he is an example to all of us. Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you. Love,
Todd, Sarah, and Anna Hastings
Hello Kim, Nate, Gwen and Beckham,
I'm praying that you are finding some comfort tonight in the company of family and friends, and that Beck has had a good day over there. We all are thinking of you guys and praying for his recovery!You know he's a tuff kid already, and God has a plan for you all. We are all awaiting good news! Love, Carissa R.
Nate, Kim, Gwen and Beckham,
We think you are such a special family! You are in our prayers! It says something about you when you have been blessed with such incredible children!! You are an inspiration to all! Thank you!
Matt, Lindsay, Samantha and Meagan Sprague
Nate,
I am thinking about you and your family. Your blog is wonderful and so detailed.
Take Care,
Susie from Peds Transport
NATE AND KIM
We want you to know that we are thinking of you and praying for you and little Beckham (Cute name by the way).
Keep updating your blog, so we can stay in touch. We love you guys!
LOVE--LYNSEY AND MARCUS
Kim and your beautiful family,
Please know that are in my prayers. You are a strong person, and Beckham will take after his mama.
Kim and Nathan,
We just wanted to let you know that you are in our thoughts and prayers constantly. Beckham is beautiful. We love you guys so much.
Love,
Ryan and Holly
Kim,
I just wanted you to know that I'm thinking about you and your family and praying for you. I can only imagine how difficult it is, but I hope that everything will work out. I'm glad you have this blog so I can know how things are going. I love you and will keep praying for your sweet baby.
Natalie (Olsen) Roberts
Kim,
I just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you and your family and praying for all of you. You were a great friend and I always enjoyed spending time with you. I hope that things will go well with your sweet baby.
Love,
Natalie (Olsen) Roberts
Nate, Kim, and Gwen,
Our prayers are with you and Beckham as you fight this big battle. I pray for strength for you all as you wait each and every minute. I also pray that God guides another family to make the difficult choice to give the gift of life as they grieve for their loss.
The Homards
Scadlock Family,
My thoughts and prayers are with your family and little Beckham.
Sincerely,
Erica Sloan
Bruce and I (Kim's parents) arrived on Wednesday...I think. We drove from Utah to Des Moines, where we picked up Gwen. We then brought her to Iowa City. We were amazed at the strength of Nate and Kim, but were more amazed at Beck's condition (in a good way). Our hearts were so tender and fearful, but now are so full of hope. We are so deeply in dept to all who have so generously given of their time, love and everything else.
Love,
Bruce & Lois Schaalje
Nate and Family,
I just want you to know that I am keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers. Rely on your friends, family, and faith to keep you strong. I will keep your little Beckham in my prayers for a new heart to arrive soon.
Love,
Jennette Krauthoff
Greetings once again from Matt Spellman! I am so glad to hear that that lil turd is getting better! Me & Laura, are constantly keeping you all in our thoughts & prayers! It's such a joy to hear about your beautiful family & how precious you all are! I would love to meet you guys, when all allows for you guys, so that Laura can introduce me to you guys! Know that I never stop thinking about you & your family & will always be there to back you up! Since being in a relationship with Laura, I really enjoy hearing about the wonderful people in her life! I have a passion for ones, that are going through alot in life. I lost my oldest special needs sister at 13, 2 mos before I was born & enjoy being there for others in her name! Baby Beckham is a inspiration to me! I love you all & know you can contact me at anytime! Here is my email address: matthew7074@yahoo.com
God bless!
Matt Spellman
Hey Nate and Kim!
Just wanted to let you know that I am still praying for your strength and that Beck will get a heart soon. We are all thinking of you...we check for new info at the "main hub" so everyone can read it at the same time:) Hang in there, call if there is anything you need!!!
Sarah F
Kim and family,
Thinking of you during your stressful time. I hope Beckham can come home soon!
All the best,
Amanda (Stevens) Openshaw
Post a Comment