Tuesday, May 5, 2009
Update 5/5/09
After a quick trip up to Iowa City (if you call 4 hours (there and back) of driving for a 15 minute blood draw quick) we got the news that Beck's platelets have made a jump to 19. That's right, 19! Can you believe it? Neither could we. Now we are only hoping that this is not another quick platelet spike like the last time, but the beginning of a trend...and trend that keeps going up and up. The other lab results showed that his hemoglobin is still quite low (a blood transfusion is still not quite needed), his magnesium is back to normal (thanks to his new magnesium supplement), his "B" cells are still destroyed (so no Rituxin this week), and his IMG levels are back up (meaning that he will need another IVIG treatment soon).
We will continue to hang out at home, as Beckham is still so extremely immuno suppressed and can't be around others. We are actually making the best of the time we spend inside with me potty training Gwen (don't get me started....ahhhh!), trying to teach Beckham to say "mommy" (to which he smiles and says "no" or "daddy." I honestly have no idea why he refuses to say "mommy" when he says almost everything else and even puts words together like "get down," or "here you go"), and enjoying the warm weather that mother nature has finally agreed to send us. Staying inside is never easy, but truthfully we are just fine with it. At least we are at home right?
Thank you over and over for all of the continual prayers on Beckham's behalf, for we have truly felt all of them, and continue to feel them.
We will continue to hang out at home, as Beckham is still so extremely immuno suppressed and can't be around others. We are actually making the best of the time we spend inside with me potty training Gwen (don't get me started....ahhhh!), trying to teach Beckham to say "mommy" (to which he smiles and says "no" or "daddy." I honestly have no idea why he refuses to say "mommy" when he says almost everything else and even puts words together like "get down," or "here you go"), and enjoying the warm weather that mother nature has finally agreed to send us. Staying inside is never easy, but truthfully we are just fine with it. At least we are at home right?
Thank you over and over for all of the continual prayers on Beckham's behalf, for we have truly felt all of them, and continue to feel them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
18 comments:
I am so happy to hear that he is doing better! It was really good seeing you tonight....we will definitely have to get together sometime and get a hot chocolate...away from our houses!
I'm so glad that there has been some good news in the rise of Beckham's platelets! We hope it is a trend as well!
Let me know how potty training goes... I haven't convinced myself that I shold start but I know it's coming soon. Carter now says poopoo and runs and hides in a corner.... hmmm... now if he would run and hide on the toilet.
Oh by the way sometime when you get a sec, could you e-mail me your #, my phone died and Carter hid it while I was in the process of activating my other phone. I still can't find that dang phone with all my numbers in it.
19???!!!! Hooray! That is great. We will pray for the continued climb. Good luck with the potty training :). I feel the pain.
Awesome news....hope it keeps going up and up!
YEAH!! 19 is my favorite number now!! Good for you Beck, keep bringing those numbers up. I guess in the long run, being inside is not that bad. If that is the worse thing you have to do for Beckham (not anywhere near!!) it is not that bad. Good luck potty training and getting Beck to say "mommy"! How weird is that? There are all kinds of crafts you can do with normal household items, if you haven't checked them out go online and get some ideas to help pass the time, although potty training takes LOTS of time, LOL! I hope that whatever is going right with Beck continues, that you do well potty training Gwen and that "mommy" becomes a common word to Beck! Open your windows and get some fresh air, that always helps me feel better after a long winter!
Take care,
Crystal
WOO HOO!!!
Kim, Maggie recently started saying 'Dadda' after calling us both 'Mama' for the longest time. And she still gets the names confused! So glad that Beckham's been home so long!
I am soooooo excited to hear the good news. Uncle Richard and i are going to the temple this weekend to put Beck's name on the prayer roll. We love you and are happy to continue to pray for your family.
Love Ant Kathy and Uncle Richard
I have been wondering where you all where and what the latest was. So glad to have read 19! That is awesome!!! So happy you all are still at home!
Glad things are looking up! Had fun with you Monday! Glad we got together!
That's fabulous news Kim! So glad to hear and I hope it continues. Good luck with the potty training! :) And good luck with "Mommy." Don't feel bad, he's probably just toying with you! :)
19?! Yay! That's awesome! I've had to catch up on the last few posts since I last talked to you. Man, I'm so glad you are home again now. We are always praying for our little Beckham. I need to call you soon. Are you able to still go out walking, even though you don't have visitors? I miss our walks...
P.S. Did you know McKenzie is moving to Gainesville, FL?? She just told me on Facebook. Crazy!
So glad to hear you're home...I hope you can make it on June 1 for the auction. We'd love to have you share.
Would you email me at grabereb@yahoo.com? We're creating a slide show for Help-A-Heart & would LOVE to include Beckham. We need some post-surgery pics, happy recent pics, length of hospital stays (cumulative) & diagnosis & dates of surgeries, etc.
Thanks!
Emily
Ya for Beckham!! I am so glad that his platelets are up. Hopefully this will continue to be the trend. You are amazing!
Great news! I am so glad. I hope it continues to go up. It was fun to hang out with you Monday!
Hey Kim, I check out your blog every now and then. John gave me the link. If it makes you feel any better, my 2 year old also prefers his daddy. It is ridiculous how stubborn he is about it! I hope someday he will realize who wipes his bottom! We are glad little Beckham is doing better. Jennie
Great news!!!!
I've been checking back every few days...glad to hear his count is up!! Woohoo, go Beckham! Let's hope it stays that way. It sounds like he is just teasing you because he knows you want him to say Mommy...stinker! A cute one though. Maybe the day Gwen decides to potty Beckham will say Mommy. Then you guys can all celebrate!
In our prayers,
Heidi, Kevin & Ellie
Post a Comment