Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Quick Update...

UPDATE: If you read my post (this is Kim) earlier today, it has been deleted because I have to now eat my words about my husband "never updating the blog." In my haste to write a quick update today (I know...excuses, excuses) I only looked at the length of the previous post, and not the content. I did not realized until later that Nate actually did an update. Oops. My bad. Read below for Nate's actual post.

...sometimes we feel like Debbie Downer updating this blog, but here we go again.

Tuesday night Beckham started bleeding from both nostrils (Gwen maintains her innocence) and we could not get the bleeding to stop. Having a child that insists that a finger from each hand needs to be digging for gold during the hemorrhaging did not improve the situation.

Eventually we decided that an ER visit was probably our best option, so Kim took him to the Blank ER where his nose was packed and labs were drawn. Good news is that his platelets were still at 16 - Bad news is that his hemoglobin was down to a lethargy inducing 6.5 which along with a random fever delivered a couple of nights in a luxurious hospital suite.

We should break out tomorrow should all go well tonight, he is now on his third Packed Red Blood Cells transfusion. Another bit of good news is that his platelet count came back at 20 tonight, a high so far. That number was the original benchmark that the staff in Iowa City gave us before we could go home, I'm glad they didn't follow through with that.

But as previously mentioned, we should be home tomorrow, so yeah!

If you would like to end the reading of our posts with a true Debbie Downer jingle salute I provide this link for the sound effects (just click play).

Tchau.

2 comments:

kdance said...

Ha--Dave calls me Debbie Downer from time to time when I'm in a bad mood. BTW, that second link didn't work. Was that the joke--it doesn't work, hence the downer?

Anyway, are you guys home now??? How's Beck today? Looks like the bloody nose my have been induced by the gold digging, eh? He and Evan have so much in common. Evan is often seen with a double barrell--2 fingers up both nostrils. I'm so glad to hear that his platelets are up to 20, though! Sweet! Now just get that hemoglobin back up, right?

P.S. Dang you for deleting your earlier post, Kim. I never got to read it!

Lainey-Paney said...

You guys have every right to be Debbie Downers.
But---the post was riddled with humor, and gladly contained some good platelet news!