Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Update 10/22/08

So here we are back in the hospital again. That's 3 times in the last 3 weeks. We should be getting close to breaking a record.

Beck started throwing up blood last night and I immediately took him to the ER. Luckily Nate was already at the hospital working and he met me right when I got there. It is embarrassing how well I know the ER rooms. There are signs inside the rooms that I have memorized on both the English and Spanish side...and I don't even speak Spanish! Yeah, obviously we have spent way too much time there!

Anyway, once in the ER it took try after try to get an IV in him. Pediatric life flight was out and they had to call adult life flight to finally get his IV in. One thing that's for sure is that it never gets easier to watch your child get poked over and over again. You would think that I would be used to it by now, but I am not and I want to cry every time. Beck looks like a pin cushion. He has bruises everywhere from needle holes.

Anyway again, it could not be determined in the ER what was wrong with him. His infection levels came back elevated (probably from his UTI), and his platelet levels came back even lower than when we were in the hospital last week. They decided to admit him and get to the bottom of this mystery. Today was just a frustrating as last night. Beck threw up over and over again and looks horrible. He has no appetite and is steadily loosing weight. They have decided to keep us in the hospital until they figure out what is wrong with him.

Beck's test results came back from his test on Friday and they showed that he does have a urinary reflux that will most likely need to be fixed surgically (darn it!). This is probably what caused his UTI and will probably cause more in the future if it is not fixed. We are still planning on keeping Beck's urology appointment on Friday in Iowa City. If he is still in the hospital on Friday than we might have to go up to the U of I hospital as patients and continue our care there.

I think that is all of our latest news. I promise that one of these days I will update the blog with happy news. It's coming soon, I can just feel it!

Please keep little Beckham in your prayers. He has a whole bunch more lab tests tomorrow. Lets pray that they will only have to poke him once to get all of the blood they need for his labs. Lets also pray for an answer to what is going on with our little guy!

Thanks for all of your continued support and love for all of us!
-Kim, Nate, Gwen & Beckham

14 comments:

Niki Carter said...

Yuck! You must be so worried. I'm so sorry. I wish I could be there to take Gwen or sit with you in the hospital or something. Hang in there.

Crystal said...

OH MY GOSH! OH MY GOSH! OH MY GOSH!!

First of all, I am freaking out because Beck is back in the hospital. You guys seriously need to move to Utah so I can help you out.

Second, I am FLOORED that he has Renal Reflux! Well, not totally floored. It figures. (I am so getting Noah tested now.)

Did they tell you what grade? Lilly has a grade 2 on the left side. If it's not better by her next VCUG in May or if she gets another infection before then while on daily antibiotics then she has to have surgery for sure. I'll have to write you up an email and share everything I have learned.

GOOD LUCK!! We miss you guys and we will pray the Dr's figure out whats going on and Beckham feels better soon.

Much Love,
Crystal

LD said...

Oh Kim! I am soo sorry. I can't imagine the stress and worry you and Nate have right now. Poor poor little Beckham. We will pray for you!

Love ya,
Lynsey

Jen said...

We will definitely keep Beckham and your family in our prayers. You guys are so strong and just know we love you guys!

Anonymous said...

You guys are never far from our thoughts and prayers. Take care! We love ya!

Michelle, Cory, Dominik, Cade, Damian and Anielle said...

Kim, I wish so bad that I could do something to help you. I keep checking on your blog hoping that he is getting better. I can't imagine going through what you're going through but you're 1000 times stronger than I am. We'll will continue to pray for Beckham and for you and your family. Good luck with things. Anxious to hear that he's getting better.

Laken said...

Oh no! You all are definitely in my prayers. This is awful! I feel so much pain for your little family!

Ryan said...

Oh geez. Poor Becks, we definitely hope for the best and know that we are praying for Beckham and the entire Scadlock Clan.

Posh Totty said...

I am so sorry you are still going thru all of this worry, I am thinking of you all especially little Beckham Xxx

Kaidence's Mommy said...

Kim,
Oh, I am so sorry to hear that you are dealing with the vomiting. I hate that and the stress that comes with it all. Kaidence has actually completely stopped the vomiting (knock on wood) after they stopped her "Cellcept". If Beckham is on that medication I would strongly consider switching him over to another med. I can't think of the name of the med at the moment, but let me know if ou need it. Maybe it is called Imuran sp???? I noticed patterns with her vomiting when they would take her off the cellcept see would stop vomiting but when they started her on it again and she would reach her 3/4 to a full dose, the vomiting would slowly start and then quickly snowball. They would then put us back in the hospital, take her off the cellcept until the vomitting stopped. Apparently, many other kiddos had problems with the vomiting and/or diarrhea on the cellcept as well. I even know that it gave one of the kiddos bleeding ulcers in his stomach and colon. Kaidence is also now on Prograf instead of the Cyclosporin. I have noticed a night and day difference since switching her off of cellcept.

I hope that he is on Cellcept and that maybe this is a quick fix. At one point Kaidence was vomiting non-stop and we finally checked her for Adenovirus. She tested positive for it and apparently their are three different types and the one she had involved the of the digestive track. Let me know what happens and I will keep thinking of ideas. How is his nourishment? I know that after 2 weeks of vomiting Kaidence became very malnourished and they said that that itself cause the vomiting to get worse and so they started giving her calories and vitamins with her IV fluid. We will keep you all in our prayers. I know it is SO frustrating.
Sorry So long, I wrote this thinking I was emailing it to you

Shauntelle

lexie said...

Again, I am so sorry for all that your cute little family has to go through. I think about you often and wish we could be there to help! Hope they figure out what is wrong with him soon!

Andrea said...

Once again....SO sorry guys! Hopefully they can get this thing figured out once and for all. Poor Beck, even miserable and sick, he still is the cutest kid ever. Hang in there, my thoughts and prayers are with your family.

{z} said...

In all seriousness Kim...all I have to say is..."sometimes...there's just not enough rocks!" We are praying for you guys. Casey checks your blog almost everyday to see what's happening with little Beck (I check often too I just think it's cute that Casey is so concerned too).

Ben, Rebecca, Natali, Isaac, Spencer said...

Oh what a roller coaster! Beck and family will definitely be in our prayers. I hope the doctors figure this out very soon. I can't imagine that it every gets easy watching your baby being sick and stuck in a hospital. Are you at Mercy or Meth., I'd love to bring you down a meal while you stay at the hospital.