
To say today has been a roller coaster does not even begin to describe the whirlwind that we have been through, but all things aside one very important event took place. Beckham's name is now on the national waiting list for organ transplant.
While I won't go into the various details, it suffice to say that due to a few insurance issues we were almost shipped to St. Louis, MO today and now we should be able to stay here in Iowa City. I have not seen the Micheal Moore documentary "Sicko" in which he discusses the problems with America's health care system, but I am sure our case today would qualify for some screen time. Thanks to our doctors and a social worker going to bat for us we should be able to stay. After that got sorted out (the ordeal began early this morning and lasted until about 5pm) we were able to sit down with the pediatric cardiologists and really begin to discuss Baby Beck's future.
At 3:oopm the various disciplines involved with Beckham's care had a meeting to discuss the best course of care to help him out. They find new problems with his heart daily and it is beginning to cause problems with his other organs too. Surgery is an option, but extremely risky so that makes transplantation the best method of treatment at this time. So now we have to 'hurry up and wait' for a heart to come. The sooner his heart comes the better, but if we wait too long methods such as surgery will become necessary to buy time until a heart replacement becomes available.We had a long sit down also with Dr. Edens, Beckham's transplant cardiologist. He went through each stage of transplantation with us and what we can expect as this situation progresses. They are as follows:
1) Initial visit/evaluation
2) Listing for transplant
3) Waiting for donor heart
4) The heart transplant surgery
5) Post-Transplant Recovery
6) Living with a transplanted heart
We are kind of doing number 2 and 3 at the same time. He has been listed and we are waiting for a new heart, but not all the details of the listing have been finished. Number 2 should be wrapped up by tomorrow and then we just pray long (hopefully not too long) and hard for 3 too wrap up too.
While the algorithm that determines recipients is fairly complex we do know a few things that help us understand his chances. Most important he is number one on The University of Iowa's list and automatically becomes the recipient should a heart his size and blood type become available in the state of Iowa. After that there a various components that go into where he ranks on the list of hearts procured in other states. He also has A+ blood and (without going in to the logistics or physiology) that means that he has more hearts that will match his needs. What does work against him though is his age and size. There aren't a whole lot of hearts that small that become available, but it happens all the time and we have hope in his case too. Also in a sort of catch 22 situation he is able to accept hearts from donors up to about 7 months of age because his heart is so abnormally large that he has space there to accept a heart that would normally be too big for his little body (Normally his heart should be just larger than his little fists...it now reaches almost clear across his chest).
As for the care Beckham has received over the last few days we can't express our gratitude enough. The nurses at Mercy Medical Center were awesome. We can't remember the names of everybody that we would like to, but Steph, Becky, and Wendy were a few of a many that made our stay great. Thank you to everybody there that took part in his care.
Here at University of Iowa Hospital we have also been very impressed. The doctors and staff seem very confident in their abilities to care for our little boy. It is awesome to have a plan of action that could possibly save his young life. My dad and I were just saying tonight that if everything works out well here we will definitely become life long Hawkeye fans.
We also want to thank all of our friends and family that have given us or offered support. We (honestly) couldn't do it without you. We are grateful for every email and every call we receive...I'm just sorry we can't respond to them all.
While Beckham gets sicker every day it was great to know that there is a possible solution in the future...no doubt in part due to the efforts of all of your fasting and praying.
Love,
Nate, Kim, Gwen, and Beckham
I almost forgot...today did have one event that made at least a moment of time one of the best few minutes since this ordeal began. Gwen was able to see her baby brother for the very first time (I'll put the picture up top). This is obviously a confusing time for her, but she did spend few moments just quietly watching her brother (and if you know Gwen even a single second of sitting still is an anomaly...we owe my mom and brother a huge thanks for watching her the last few days) and she even gave him a kiss. Having some time with Gwen helps us get through each day more than anything else ever could.
22 comments:
That picture of Gwen and Beck ...wow! I'm so glad that she got to see her baby brother. And the one of Kim holding him is so touching. He looks so healthy you would never know he's sick. Thanks for the info, we will continue to pray for Beck and hope that he gets that heart fast! We're so glad you'll get to stay put! see you tomorrow...
Nate and Kim,
I know we are related in some fashion as Cali called my parents to update us on your situation. My Son, Noah, was born June 11th with Critical Aortic Stenosis and Significant Mitral Valve Regurgitation. As I have read your recent updates they sound exactly like what we have been through the past 2 months.
Noah was place on the Tranplant List and received his new heart 12 days later. He's still in the ICU recovering from the health issues his old heart had caused.
I would love to talk with you when you have a moment. I think we could offer each other a great deal of support, knowing what we are both going through. Please get my number from Cali or visit my website.
I will keep Beck and your family in my prayers.
Crystal Martin
(Ken Browns Daughter)
Your family in Canada sends our love and prayers to you. We are praying that a heart is found soon for sweet little Beck! We love you all & will continue to keep you in our thoughts & prayers!
Love,
Barb, Glen & Brianna
I am so glad that Gwen was able to see her brother yesterday! That picture is adorable. He looks so strong. Doug and I are so happy that you don't have to go to St. Louis. We are praying that the new heart comes fast. We love you and can't wait to see you again.
WOW! What a whirlwind of emotional activity the three of you have been through. We are praying (and crying) with you! We send all our love. Thanks for updating information regarding Beck.
Tibi, Jeff and fam
Nate and Kim,
I continue to think about and pray for your family, especially Beckham. Just remember how strong and resilient kids are! I'm glad you're able to stay half way close to home, you're in good hands there. Please know if you need anything we're just a call away. Take care!
Carrie Nelson
Kim and family,
We will keep you in our prayers. Beckham is a beautiful baby.
Matt, Ang, Avery, and Brynn Carnahan
Nate and Kim and kiddos-
We are praying for you guys. Beckham is SO sweet and we are hoping for the best. Kim, way to go on that BIG baby!
Nate and Kim and Gwen,
Our prayers are continually with you. We admire your strength and glad you had this blog in place to keep us informed. What a roller coaster ride you must be on. We believe in miracles and are looking for a miracle for little Beckham. Our love and prayers.
Grandma and Grandpa Willard
It is great of you to keep us informed on Beckham's condition. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.
Amy Brenizer
Nate
Just a guy from BS that was reading about your situation. My heart and prayers go out to you and your family. We had a baby son go thru a lot when he was born. Keep strong!
Ethan in Florida
Dear Nate and Kim,
I am Laura McCulloch's boyfriend & she has been sharing with me, about you all. I find you all very couragous & beautiful people too! I live in Cedar Rapids & very spiritual as well. I find it a true honor, to hear about you & your family. My prayers as well are with you as I have my church praying for you too! Here is a prayer for you all from me. Dearest God, may you be give your light & love to the family, so that they will have eternail peace within their lives right now. God, give them the strength to live for the kids and their challanges right now. You gave them a gift of love that is so you God & may you cast apon your love for them, as they go through the paths of this life you gave them I thank you God you are there with them all the way & that you give them every hope of life & devotion to their lives. I ask you to give them comfort more then that they can ever exspect & show the family how your way & love for them will give them the ability to live & give Beckham a transplant very soon! I ask this in your name God & that they have the signs of happiness that they so need now. In Jesus name Amen!
God bless you guys & feel free to be in touch with me.
Matt Spellman
Hey guys!
I just wanted to let you know that we've been thinking about you and praying for you all the time! Gage now includes Beckham in every prayer (without us reminding him!) He asks me every day (sometimes often) when Beckhams heart will be better. He is so excited that Beckham will be getting a new better one!
We missed seeing little Gwen run around at play group today. We hope you are keeping your spirits high and holding on! It's already been one week! Beckham must be a big fighter! He looks soo cute and chubby in his pictures. The one of him and Gwen is a favorite!
Know that we are thinking of you!!!
-the Christiansens
Nate and Kim,
I just wanted to write you a quick note to let you know, how impressed I am with both of you. I have just finished reading your blog, and I am truly amazed at the great strength you both possess. I want you to know that my prayers and thoughts are with you and you're sweet little Beckham at this time. I have been truly inspired and uplifted from your positive outlook, and great strength you have had throughout this ordeal. I know that the Lord is watching over you and your family at this time. You have touched my heart, and inspired me to be grateful every day for the small things in life!! Keep your spirits up, and know that our prayers are with you. Andrea Morris
Nate, Kim, Gwen and Beckham,
We want you to know that our prayers and thoughts are with your family at this time. I was able to see Beckham at Mercy the first night he was there and he is beautiful. I do know that the Lord will guide and help through this difficult time and your family is to be commended for your faith and valiance. I know that there are many people who are here to offer help, but if you ever need anything please let us know. Again, our thoughts are with you and your beautiful family.
Love,
The Coleman Family
missed you, Nate and Gwen, at play group today...everyone was asking about you guys. You sure are loved!
E
I just completed a blog entry about my family, and then was brought to tears reading about Beckham's battle. I, too, will pray for him and your family. Wishing you all the best - and a reason to become lifelong Hawkeye fans.
Steve P
Hi Again
It is great that your Mom and Dad are now with you, Kim. Our prayers are with you. Beckham's name is on the prayer roll at the Cardston Temple. Think of you often and admire your courage as you strive to obtain the best care for your sweet little boy. Thanks for the updates on the Blog.
Love
Grandma Nancy
Just a constant reader of your posts on BS and the blog. Your family is in our prayers! What a beatiful little boy and an adorable little name!
Edaw33
Thank you for keeping us updated, we just got home and have had you in our thoughts and prayers. Best of luck and if there's anyting we can do, please, please call.
The Hibshmans
Hey Nathan,Kim,Gwen and Baby Beckham! I was surprised to hear the news of baby Beckham being sick. I am glad that Gwen got to see her baby brother and to be there to comfort him. You all are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope he gets a heart as soon as possible.
Love,
McCall Scadlock
mccallscadlock26@hotmail.com
Cell# 376-3159
WOW... I am in awe of your family. I am Ken Brown's daughter in law. While we didn't have a heart defect per se.. we had a PDA done on our very premature infant ( 25 weeker) he is almost 2. I can't believe that so much has gone wrong in one family ( extended or not) What a amazing tale he will tell when he is older. Our prayers are with ou.!!
Post a Comment