Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Update 8/14/07

(Kim was able to hold Beckham for the first time in a week yesterday)

Hello from Iowa City. We are just hanging out in the University of Iowa hospital and tomorrow we will be celebrating Beckham's second week of life. Looking back at some of his tougher moments in the beginning, getting to week two is a miracle in itself.

As these last few days have passed there have been a few changes this time. Beckham is starting to have increased issues with back-flow from his heart back into his lungs so they are beginning a few treatments to try and ease that problem. One thing that they are doing is giving him something called prostaglandins that will re-open a little hole that most newborns have, but it closes quickly called a PDA (patent ductus arteriousus - you can click for more info). Though having that open is usually considered a defect in his case it is one more way that they can decrease pressure and hopefully back-flow from that left ventricle. Aside from this he seems to continue to be 'critically stable'. They will also begin a few interventions that will help prolong systematic function should he spend a long amount of time waiting for his heart.

One cool milestone is that he is now receiving breast milk nutrition starting at 2 ml/hr a few days ago and tonight he will be up to 14 ml/hr which is enough to provide most of his needed nutrition. Even better he has been tolerating these feedings well.

We are holding up here in the hospital watching The Office episodes, playing with Gwen, and wandering the halls...though getting through the duldrums of hospital life is not as difficult as waiting for his heart. We are only on Day 8 of being on the list, but it already seems like it has been forever. Gwen does help the time pass as she is not only our entertainment, but seeks to entertain all around her. One nurse noted today that she should be the Unit's mascot...when we no longer have what it takes to entertain the princess she makes her way around the halls making sure that each and every staff member has had a chance to dote their praises.

We continue to be amazed and extremely grateful for the help we receive from family and friends. Thank you so much...we couldn't do this on our own.

Keep praying for our little dude.

Love,
Nate, Kim, Gwennifer, and Beck

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

So happy to hear that Beckham is holding his own! That's an awesome picture of the Scadlock clan!! Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers, let us know if you need anything.

Carrie Nelson

Heather O'Brien said...

We are praying for you guys like crazy! I am so amazed at how you guys are holding it together. Everytime I see you, you're all so strong!! Thanks for your wonderful example! Hallie is waiting to play with Gwen so let me know when you need a break!! We are thinking of you constantly.

{Erica} said...

What an awesome family picture!! I'm so glad that he's taking well to the milk and that Kim got to hold him. gwen is darling ...but that's not news :). We're planning a trip up in the near future! We totally miss you guys!

Anonymous said...

So glad and happy to get to see a "family portrait"! You are all so beautiful! Good news to know he likes his mother's milk.
Love and prayers continue with all of you.
With gratitude-
Grandpa and Grandma Willard

Crystal said...

What a beautiful family!! I have faith that Beckham will be strong enough to wait for his new heart and I pray that it will come fast. You are all in my prayers. I can't wait for Beckham and Noah to meet and one day participate in the Transplant Olympics where we can cheer on our little warriors.
Tons of Love,
Crystal

Anonymous said...

Kim...
I came accross your blog becasue Sarah had Heather o'Brien's.Your children are beautiful. We heard about your baby and our prayers are with you.
I have fond memories of U of Iowa. We lived there for 3 years and Renee and Geoff were both born in that hospital. It is the best!!!!I just wanted to know that all the neighbors on Westview Drive are thinking of you.
Joeen Hill

Debbi said...

Happy 2 weeks old day Beckham! What a strong little boy he has got to be! You guys are amazing! We keep you in our prayers always and are so glad that little Gwen is there to entertain! The family picture is so cute!

McGiven Family.... said...

Hi Kim, this is Sarah Hill McGiven. Heather told me about your little guy. He is so cute! I am so sorry to hear about the complications. I just want you to know that we are thinking of you and that our prayers are with you. You are an amazing example of strength and you have a darling family! Good luck with everything, we will be checking back for updates and praying everything continues to go well.

Courtney said...

I love your family picture! It's nice to see you all together! I wish I could come and see one more time before I go, but know that I am praying for you every day. I love you lots!

Debbie Pence said...

Thanks for the updates, Scadlocks. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

*Abby* said...

Hey guys! I have been reading your bog everyday to keep up on the family and we are sooooo happy to hear that he seems to be doing okay. I think of you guys often and are in our prays! He is pretty cute!

Anne-Marie said...

It's so good to hear that he's relatively stable! and that Gwen is getting to be with you. We are praying for you and hopefully something will come up soon with the heart list :D. Keep your chin up!

Anonymous said...

You are a strong family and I know that our Father in Heaven is looking down on you. Beckham is a beautiful baby boy! We miss you and send our love. Brooklyn prays for baby Beckham every night... :)