Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Update 8-22-07

"...by small and simple things are great things brought to pass..." Alma 37:6

(Gwen's first of many kisses given to Beck today)

Every time we write it seems I have the pleasure of announcing a new milestone and today is no exception. Early this afternoon they removed the ventilation machine that had been breathing for Beckham and he is now tubeless. Not only did they remove his breathing tube, but they also removed his foley catheter and a few more IV lines. He becomes less bionic each and every day.

Having less artificial support around our kiddo has made it so we can get closer to the little guy. We both held him today and can now hold him whenever we want to; before holding him required the effort of setting up and taking down the big tent at a circus, there was so much that went into the event. Gwen even gets some time with her Little Bro. We let her sit in the crib with him and we were able to see her really respond to him for the first time. She soon loved the attention of giving him attention and he had all the kisses and "gentle" pats on the head he could ever ask for. Those two are going to be good friends. When we went to take Gwen out of the crib it was another battle as she really began to enjoy her time with her brother. Hopefully as time and Beckham progress she will be able to comprehend that he is another member of our little family.

As things continue to progress we begin to hear the outside world calling again. I will be starting school on Monday and Kim will stay here with the little guy. Her parents are still here and mine will be taking over Gwen duties this weekend. Though the last few weeks have been an adjustment for her it is nice that this event has afforded her the oppurtunity to spend plenty of time with her grandparents.

Though faint we have also been able to hear him cry for the first time since the day he was born. That doesn't seem like a commonly celebrated moment, but for us our moments tend to be anything but common. Once again we are so grateful for the prayers and efforts of our friends and family. Everyday we learn of something new somebody has done to help us in a million different ways. While it is too bad that it takes something so extreme to bring people together, it is amazing how people do go out of their way for someone they may not even know when such difficult events arise.

Thank you all.

Love,
Nate, Kim, Gwen, and Super Beck

38 comments:

Unknown said...

Nate, Kim, Gwen and Beckham,

I am so happy for your family. Each day is a wonderful milestone for Beckham. He is a beautiful baby and his progress must mean that he has much to accomplish on this earth! Our continual prayers will be with your family.

The Coleman's

Anonymous said...

Seems to me that someone really belongs here with you guys. Good to see that he is doing so well.

Deana Cruikshank

cshel said...

Dear Scadlock Family:

What a beautiful little boy you have and what a blessing he is. He has touched the lives of many and will continue to do so. May God continue to bless your family.

All the best,

The O'Rourke Family

Heather O'Brien said...

This is exciting!! I am so glad that things are continuing to go well. I can't wait to see the little guy with his new heart! I'll have to come visit soon. We are thinking of you and praying for you all.

{Erica} said...

Oh my heck that's all awesome news! His sign off name is so fitting "Super Beck" :). Kudos to you guys as his wonderful parents. Your children are lucky to have you guys and we're lucky to call you friends. The pictures were so nice to look at...you all look great. Kim you're BEAUTIFUL! We miss you and can't wait to see you guys...hopefully soon.
Love ya,
The Grovers

Anonymous said...

We love Beckham! He is so beautiful. Scadlocks have cute babies (and thirsty babies too, I hear).
Love, The Dances :)

Crystal said...

Such Wonderful news! I know what an exciting moment it is to have the vent removed. I pray his recovery will continue to be a speedy one. Congratulations on such a great milestone!
Much Love,
~Crystal Martin (Noah's Mommy)

Anonymous said...

That makes me so happy to hear how he is progressing. It amazes me how strong he is. I don't remember much of what was said in the blessing that first day except that he would do be able to accomplish what he came here to do. I believe he is just getting started.

The Green Plate said...

Keep it up Beckham! Soon you will be our star athlete a the U.S. Transplant Games!!
Go Super Beck!
Love ya!
Aunt Kally

Anne-Marie said...

Congratulations on all your achievements. Reading about them lifts my day :D. We will continue to pray for you and keep on posting!

Anonymous said...

Keep on Keepin' on! It's wonderful to read such great updates. You guys are truly amazing, you seem to face all the struggles like superheroes :) !!! Beckham undoubtedly has a great future ahead of him, as he started his life by showing the rest of us what amazing people his parents are!

Brody

Anonymous said...

Kym, Nate, and family,
How wonderful it was to see the pictures of your beautiful children being able to bond. It is miraculous in the least. It must be the best feeling to have some of the equipment gone so you can hold your handsome little boy and he can feel your arms around him.
We love you and pray for you everyday. This blog is the best! Love the updates.

Robin Olsen and family

Anonymous said...

Scadlock Family;

Good to hear that Super Beck is doing so well. I can just imagine how Gwen is happy to finally sit next to her little brother and give him a kiss. Very adorable! Best wishes to the whole family.

Zehra P

Anonymous said...

Dear Scadlock Family,
We are delighted to hear how well things are going for baby Beckham. It is awesome to see his pictures (and his beautiful big sister) and to read about his progress. Our thoughts and prayers are with you!
Lots of Love,
The Robinson Family

Debbi said...

Your little Beckham is amazing! (you guys are too!!!). What a happy day to get to hold him and cuddle with him. He looks so great! Our prayers are with you every day. Gage reminds us before each prayer - Don't forget to bless Baby Beckhams new heart!"

Your posts are great! We are so happy for each milestone!

Nicole said...

We are so thrilled for you guys and the progress Beckham has made. He is truly a miracle. You guys are very special parents too to be going through this big trial. What a blessing in a way.

When we went through our hospital sitiations with our daughter Jacqueline, it was hard to see the reason & blessing then, but by the "small & simple things" like you aid, great things came to pass & we realized it was truly a miracle and blessing to be going through it, though it was really hard. It sure brought us together as a couple & a family. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Love, Jeff & Nicole Willard

Anonymous said...

I'm hoping, Kim and Nate, that you are reading these comments, especially this one....NATE!!!

First of all, we are so pleased to see the progress of Beckham. What an answer to so many prayers. Bishop Pence updated all of the youth last night in mutual. They all recognize that this is a result of fasting and prayers in your behalf.

Secondly, I just cannot help but to comment one of the photos where you have changed your Ute hat for a powder blue one? I see that the color is coming back to you as well! I'm pleased to see your recovery is positive!

With my love, prayers, support and needling!

Mark Newman

Anonymous said...

Kim and Nate,
Prayers ARE answered!! He is beautiful! It is so fun to see Gwen playing with him, and to see you both so happy. Congratulations on this wonderful blessing.
We love you,
Christina & Paul Homolik

Unknown said...

I was so excited to see the new pictures of baby Beck with Gwen and the both of you!! He looks so good!! I was getting teary as I read the blog and saw the pictures. You all have touched so many people with your strength. I love and miss you tons.

love,
Miquel

Natalie said...

That is so exciting for your family. I'm so glad that things are going well with his recovery. God truly knows and is in charge of how long we all get to enjoy this life. I am glad that you have Beckham with you and get to enjoy his spirit.

Courtney said...

I am so happy for you guys! I am glad that Beckham's days are getting better! Gwen looks so happy sitting next to her brother! I can't wait to see you guys again.

Love,
Courtney

Anonymous said...

Nathan, Kim, and kids,

Thanks for the great report. We are so glad for Beckham that tubes and needles are being taken out.

Douglass Family said...

We are so glad everything is going well! We have you in our prayers! Adam and Mandy

Becky T said...

So glad to hear the good news! What an amazing little fighter you have there. I am in awe by him. You have such a beautiful family!
Love, the Thalgotts

Kris said...

This is such good news. It is exciting to see the progress Beckahm has made. I am sure you are excited to be able to interact with him. Your family continues to be in our prayers.

Kris Kent

M said...

He is so handsome! Thank you for posting upates. We are so happy for your family and continue to pray for you.

Anonymous said...

Gwen is beautiful and so is her little brother! We loved the pictures and the report. Congratulations, and hopefully things just keep getting better!

The Allen Family said...

Kim that is great news! I am so happy that he is doing so well. You look amazing holding him! You guys are in our prayers and we hope that things continue to go well.
Krissa

The Allen Family said...

Kim that is great news! I am so happy that he is doing so well. You look amazing holding him! You guys are in our prayers and we hope that things continue to go well.
Krissa

Thekrogwoman said...

Nate and Family,

I don't know if you remember me, but I went to college with Nate at Dixie (T5). Anyway, I stumbled upon your blog and I am amazed at the strength of your little family. I can't begin to imagine all that you have been though. Each time I open your blog, I get a lump in my throat as I see the power and strength of the Lord and his many miracles that have taken place in your family's life! May God continue to bless your sweet family and your "Super Beck"!

Love, Angie (Allen) Krog

Anonymous said...

Hi Scadlock family,

We are thrilled with the progress being made by Beckham. We're sure he doesn't mind fewer pieces of hardware poked in him. You are all in our prayers. Love,
Grandma and Grandpa Willard

Anonymous said...

We are so happy for your little family. We have been praying for you every night and it is so good to hear that every is going well for you. What a darling little boy you have. We love his cute little eyes.
You will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers.

The Spjut Family

lishalou said...

We love you guys and check your website weekly to get the update on sweet Beckham and your family! We are thinking of you often and praying for you daily. Though nothing to this extreme, your posts bring back memories of not being able to hold Ellie, and having her attached to cords, tubes, machines and needles for her life! It's amazing how much you feel blessed in times like those despite how hard the trial is. I remember it wasn't until afterwards, and til after we had moved and everyone was gone and Ellie was perfectly healthy that I was even ever able to FEEL again. It's like everything had been happening for so long, and we were surrounded by love and people and constantly on the go or in the hospital, that when life began and calmed down again, I had a lot of moments all to myself to think and take in all that had happened. It was pretty overwhelming (I think the first time I had even cried over the whole situation) and needed the Lord than more than anytime ever to feel strong and myself again. It was the first time I had felt alone and had had moments to think in a LONG time. I learned more during that time than I did during the entire trail. It's amazing what the Lords teaches us in our hardest moments. Anway, sorry to ranble, I just wanted you to know we are here for you even when life calms down, and the phones stop ringing. More importantly, the Lord will be always there. We too are adding a new one into our lives, TOMORROW! Crazy how life keeps going and changes! Well, again we love you. Love, The Sell's

{z} said...

Kim and Nate,

We just got the news of your baby boy last night. We are praying for you. I'm so happy things are going so well. We will continue to pray for Beckham so he can play with our little guy some day:) Our little boy is supposed to come Nov 2. I'm huge Kim...I wish you could see.
Anyway, we love you guys and we are praying for you.

{z} said...

Kim and Nate,

We just got the news of your little boy last night. We are praying for you guys. It is great to see how well things are going. Breck needs to get better so he can play with our little guy some day. We are having a little boy sometime around Nov 2. I am huge Kim...I wish you could see:)We love you guys and wish you the best.

Casey and Lindsay Blackford

Cristy said...

Your story has touched me so much! (Again, I am Erica Grover's sister-in-law, and saw you guys through her site) I am so glad that things are more and more up and up! Know that even though you don't know our little family, you are in our prayers!
love
The Welsh Family

Anonymous said...

Nate & Kim,
We could not be more excited. We have prayed for your family and are so grateful that the Lord has poured out the blessings. I am so happy that the blessings have come so quickly as well. Just in time.
We love you.
Matt & Jenny

{Erica} said...

Happy Birthday nate!

Love,
The grover's