After two days of blood draws (the first set clotted), Beck's labs came back with crazy low platelets. Crazy low meaning 10, which is almost nothing (a normal person should have a level of between 150-400). His platelets are even lower than they were around the time of his stroke and multiple blood clots. The thought behind his low platelets is that he has a condition called Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia, that derived from his body building up antibodies to Heparin blood thinner products (Lovenox included)....meaning, after he was taken off of the blood thinners the first time, his body built up antibodies and is now rejecting them by lowering his platelets. Make sense? They are doing extensive testing in the morning to see if he tests positive for the antibodies. When I asked if this happens to other transplant patients, I was assured that this is common (more in adults that children though).
The dark purple bruises cover a lot of his body, but the small red dots (petechiae) cover his entire body (top of his head, thumbs, neck, back side, feet, so forth).Right now Beck is actually super happy, super hungry, and super cute (minus the millions of bruises that completely cover his little body). I think this is the one thing that comforts me and the doctors right now. If he didn't look so bad (and he really looks bad), you would think that he was back to his normal self. The biggest obstacle right now is keeping him from getting anymore bruises. How are you supposed to do this with a toddler with a HUGE head (he got that from Nate's side of the family!), that continually loves to bang it on everything to express himself? Here is their solution:
If you can't tell, that is seizure bumper pads with pillows on top of them, covered with multiple blankets. This better help!The plan is to be in the hospital until his platelets come up. How long this will take, we don't know. A platelet transfusion is not an option right now because if his body has antibodies, than he will probably just reject the platelets.
Keep our little man in your prayers. Thanks for all of your continued support. We have sure felt it!
-Family Scads
13 comments:
POOR Beckham! Really guys, I might go with the theory of moving to IC so that he's never sick! :) Thinking of you guys, thanks for the updates since I don't get them from Nate anymore! Glad though that Beckham is happy and feeling good!
Carrie, Blank PICU
Oh.... little buddy!! Lovenox is the WORST! I just gladly threw away two bottles of it- maybe I should have taken it back to the pharmacy. He is super super cute (love those eyes) despite all of the nasty bruises.
I was just reading through a bunch of emails from you from 8 months ago. You gave me so much hope- and still do! Thank you for that!
let me know if there is anything I can do for you! I feel so terrible that you guys are back in the hospital. When I click on your blog I stop breathing. The great thing about Mr B is that he can have run ins with everything and anything and he just works through them.
I will be praying that you make it home lickety split!
Wow! Kim it is so good to hear from you. I'm sorry about your little boy. He is so freakin cute. It looks like he has your eyes, although I've never met your husband. Do you have another blog? And are you on facebook?
I can't believe you are back in the hospital! Sorry about all the bruises. I bet it is so hard to keep him from hitting is head! Aiden does it all the time too! Silly boys! Hope you won't be in there for to long this time. I will be thinking of you like always!
Poor guy, the picture breaks my heart. It's amazing how smiley he is. I think you should move to Iowa because if he stopped going to the hospital, it would be worth it! I can validate that the big head does come from Nathan's side.
Man, I am so sorry you are at the hospital again. He must have a secret crush on one of the nurses and just can't stay away for too long. We will most definatly keep Beckham in our prayers. Hope that this will be a quick stay.
That's tough. Hang in there big guy!
S
I think of you and pray for your family every day! I am so sorry to hear that Beck is back in the hospital. I hope it is a quick recovery. Little Beck is amazing...he is such a fighter.
He looks really beat up. Poor little guy. Thanks for giving me a good workout all the time. I really hope your son can heal and stay out of the hospital for an extended period of time.
This kiddo is amazing! He has been through so much! So have you! We continue to pray for you guys!
Poor baby! We will keep you in our prayers.
I am so sorry for you guys and especially for Beckham. We are thinking about you guys and keeping you in our prayers!
Poor little man! We will keep him in our prayers and hope that they can get things figured out so that those darn hospital trips don't have to happen so often!
Post a Comment