Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Update 3/24/09

A very, unexpected thing happened today.

No Beck's platelets did not go up (they actually dropped to 2), no they did find out anymore answers to his ITP, and no he is not any better.

But in spite of it all, we were able to go home. Can you believe it? Either can we.

The crazy thing is that his platelets are even lower than they were when we were admitted, but the doctors agree that there is not much more to do for him right now than to give him time. The steroids will continue until next week and if there is no change in his platelets by Monday than he will start Rituxin. If that does not work than removing his spleen might be the only option. Lets hope and pray that that will not be the case.

For now, Beck and I are going to enjoy our own beds for the first time in 18 days. How nice does that sound? I am also going to start working very hard on padding down our house so that this kid does not make himself bleed. This is defiantly a HUGE risk right now....but what do you do? Keep a stir crazy, immuno suppressed toddler in a hospital for months at a time, or take him home and take extra careful care of him? I choose the latter.

30 comments:

Crystal said...

I am SO happy to hear you are home! Now we will just keep praying for platelets.

McGiven Family.... said...

That is the best news! I am so happy for you! I hope things continue to get better!

Diane said...

I am so happy for you!

The Simmons Family said...

I am so excited that they are letting him GO home!! THe hospitals are so germy right now.. home is better. No ideas how to keep him from bumping around at home. Good luck :).

I hope it doesn't come down to needing rituxin, but it's better than removing the spleen. YIKES. I don't like that idea.

Praying.

Me said...

Home!! That is such a beautiful word. I am so glad that you and Beck will be able to go home. You are amazingingly strong. Ya for HOME!!!!

Nelson Family said...

I am so happy you were able to take him home. 18 days???? Wow......I don't know how you do it! HUGS!

{Erica} said...

GREAT NEWS! I'm sure you are all happy to be together again.

We're keeping our fingers crossed that things work and that the spleen stays in!

love ya!

mary said...

YAY!!! Oh my gosh, what super news! You will both be so much happier at home. Little boys do not belong in hospitals for 18 days at a time!!

{z} said...

Kim...I don't know what to say. I know praying for you is important but at times it feels so hollow...is there anything else I can do for you? Do you want me to come help you with Gwen? I will...just let me know..and I'll be there.

{z} said...

ps...I'm happy you both are home!

{z} said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andrea said...

Dang! Think of all that great cafeteria food you'll be missing out on now. I guess taking a shower in your own house and sleeping in your bed will have to make up for that! HA! YAY I am so excited to hear the news.

LD said...

Yeah! Good for you guys, enjoy your beds!

Mitzi said...

wow! It must be nice to be in your own beds! Hope things start to improve with his platelets! We love you guys!

Megan and Shawn said...

I'm so glad you get to come home! I can't imagine how crazy you'd be in the hospital for so long! Let us know if you need anything!

Carly said...

So glad to hear that you will finally be able to get home. We love you guys and will keep praying for little Beckham.

Ben, Rebecca, Natali, Isaac, Spencer said...

So glad you get to come home! I can't imagine how nice that must feel to have your family all under one roof again. Praying that Beck improves and that the spleen stays put!

Laken said...

Yay! So happy that you all are going home! I sure hope you get to sleep in for a while in your bed!!! Keep us updated.

Lainey-Paney said...

Good luck at home! I imagine you are soooooo busy padding everything right now!

Natalie said...

Kim, I'm happy to hear you're home. The sweetest thing happened the other day. A few months ago Carston (5) saw Beckham's picture when I was looking at your blog, so I explained about his heart transplant. Out of the blue yesterday he started talking about "the baby with the heart transplant" so I told him Beckham was sick and in the hospital and that I was praying for him. That night he wanted to know what I said when I prayed about him, so I told him. When he went to say his prayers that night, he prayed pretty specifically for Beckham, his family, and the doctors. I thought it was just really neat because it was all out of the blue. Anyway, you've got one more prayer going up to add to the list :)

Heather O'Brien said...

So glad you guys got to go home. When I went to see you yesterday the nurse thought I was crazy because I made her check like 3 times to make sure you didn't just change rooms or something :). Good luck at home. You guys are in our prayers.

Unknown said...

Dear Kippy,

I am so excited that you are home. Are you looking for donors for the platelets. Uncle Richard, Hanna and I will gladly go and see if we are matches and send them to you from our Blood Bank. Who do I contact at the hospital so that we can do that? Love ANT Kathy

Courtney said...

I'm glad you are home. He might just heal better there. The more time one spends in the hospital, the sicker they seem to get. Hope all is well. I'm here if you need anything.

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear you were able to come home. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Unknown said...

Lets go megakaryocytes lets go!

Mimi said...

Oh GREAT!! I am so glad you are going home. I wish I had some answers..hopefullly some normalcy at home will help his little body.

You should go to the dollar store and buy a ton of those pool noodle things. You can cover anything with an edge with those puppies!!

Excited to see him back home!

Jared Schaalje said...

Hi Kim,

I just wanted to write you a quick note and let you know that Steph and I are thinking and praying for you. We love you, Beck and your sweet family so much.

We are praying for the day when heart transplants can be performed with all the protein cell markers taken out, so that the recipient's body will not fight it off.

I recently saw really amazing video footage here at the university, where this technology was demonstrated in its infancy.

We are hoping and praying that someday soon Beck's heart will be able to have the protein cell markers removed, so that his body/immune system will no longer fight it, and so that he can go off his anti-rejection meds.

I love you sis!

Love,

Jared

allison said...

I am so happy for you guys and I hope you get to stay home for awhile.

Kami Roecker said...

SO HAPPY YOU ARE HOME!
PRAYING FOR BECK!!! :)
KAMI

JDM said...

Sleep well.
Nothing beats finally coming home from the hospital.
Love you guys.