Sunday, March 1, 2009

Update 3/1/09

It's been almost a week since Beck was released from the hospital and it seems like he is finally beginning to get his strength back. He will now walk again, but is extremely cautious and takes quite a few breaks in between every 10 steps. He is also talking again and smiling non-stop. What a great thing this is to have our little guy back. From what the doctors have told us, an infection in your blood stream is a very serious infection and completely drains your body and takes so much to fight it off. You add that the Rodivirus and his circumcision/ hydrocele surgery and you have a really bad combination. Poor kiddo is all I can say!

Nate and I took Beckham up to Iowa City on Friday for a slew of appointments (my mom was still here to watch Gwen thankfully). Labs were first, and let me tell you that it was sure nice that Beck still had the PICC line to draw from so that they he did not have to be poked half a dozen times to get the right amount a blood. After labs, the transplant team saw him. They were extremely pleased with how much better he looked in comparison to the beginning of the week. They are hoping that this illness is the kicker that will get us over this hump. So are we! As for now, their plan is to hopefully not see him until April, and in the meantime, we need to work on increasing his hemoglobin (which has gone up a small amount). We will have to keep trying to get Beck to take the Iron supplements and Iron vitamin. This is not an easy task as the vitamin tastes like a mouth full of blood and the supplement tastes like you are chewing on an iron bar. Nasty! I've tried flavoring it, adding it to food, giving with liquid...you name it, I've tried it. If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

We also saw neurology on Friday. They gave us the news that Beckham for sure has some sort of clotting disorder. We do not know what his disorder is, but not matter what, the treatment would be the same of blood thinners. I hope that this does not mean that he will have to get shots twice a day for life...but it could. Aspirin treatment is not an option right now for Beckham since he is so small, but hopefully in the future he will be able to take that instead of Lovenox shots, which he will remain on until we meet with hematology again. All in all, the neurology team was very pleased with Beckham, but they want to have another MRI done in April to make sure that he has not signs of hyrocephalis, and to get him off of his seizure medicine.

Beck is now PICC line free and doing well. We sure want it to stay that way. Since August, Beck has not been out the hospital longer than 6 weeks. We are determined to beat that record!

Happy March to everyone. Bring on the warm weather is all that I can say!
-Us

6 comments:

Holly said...

Here's hoping that the only hospital visits Becks has from now on are routine! What a relief to hear that he is back to his old tricks. We can't wait to have you post some new photos of a happy, healthy Beckham!! As always, we'll be thinking of you. Sorry I have no suggestions for disguising iron... I sympathize with Beckham there. I had to take supplements with all three of my pregnancies and the side effects can be unpleasant! Have him eat lots of red meat and broccoli!

With much love,
the Campbells

Unknown said...

Glad B is out of the hospital. Jordan takes the iron supplement drops - combined with a multivitamin and floride. we put the drops in his milk in the morning.

another thing I tried, is to use a cast-iron skillet for cooking his food (pancakes, etc). trace amounts of iron get absorbed into the food.

It's tough when they're little and don't eat enough things with iron in them. I don't think Jordan's ever eaten spinach in his life, despite many, many attempts at convincing him.

Natalie said...

I'm so happy to hear he's on the mend, I hadn't checked for awhile, but was thinking of you all last night. I've been praying for you though. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you'll beat the record!

Laken said...

Let's beat that record!!!! One week down!! :)

kdance said...

Oh, MAN! Where have I been??? I have been catching up on all your posts since January. Oh, Beck! Poor little guy. Between his poor man-part being messed with and his yucky rotavirus, I'm ready to go punch the wall. I'm so glad that he is on the mend, at home now. Even though I haven't kept up-to-date with what's been going on, I will say that I always pray for him and the cute Scadlock fam every night! I love you guys. I will give you a call, Kim. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Bring on the warm weather is right!! I hope you guys break your 6 week mark and stay healthy until summer gets here when there aren't many germies around.

Interesting that Beck can't take aspirin (I'm guessing he'd need a really high dose and that's why?). Ellie has taken it since day one. Hopefully he won't need two shots a day, poor baby!

Thinking of you guys,

Heidi, Kevin & Ellie
www.carepages.com
EllieJoSchmidt