Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Update 2/17/09

The ambulance ride. The netting on Beck's head is to help hold his scalp IV in place. Note the DVD's in his hands. This kid loves movies!

Guess where we are? If you guessed home then you are sadly wrong (don't I wish). Actually, we are in Iowa City, tucked in tight to a new hospital room. Beckham was brought here by ambulance today and I was the lucky one that got to accompany him. I've never ridden in an ambulance before...I never want to ride in one again.

On top of the Rotavirus, this morning I was informed that Beckham's blood had grown a bacteria called Pseudomonas. This is not happy news. From what I'm told - not being the health expert as Nate - it's a pretty nasty bacteria that can cause many different symptoms and makes itself resistant to antibiotics. Because of this, the doctors are treating Beckham with three different types of strong antibiotics, hoping to trick and kill this bacteria. As of today - after 24 hours of antibiotics - his blood did not grow the Pseudomonas bacteria again. This is uplifting news, but they will repeat the tests tomorrow to find out if we get the same results. For now, he is being treated by the Infections Disease doctors, thus being the main reason for our transfer to Iowa City.

I'm not going to lie...Beck is super sick. He can't keep anything down and shoots continuously out of the other end. I won't go into more detail (not that you want more), but know that this illness has really effected him negatively. For now, he sleeps most of the time, as he hardly has the energy to hold up his head (so sad). Surprisingly, he still has enough energy to demand a movie and throw a HUGE fit when you put in the movie he does not want. What a kiddo! That's our Beckham.



Please keep Beck in your prayers, as he has a long way to go. I do not know how long I will be up here with him. My mom is flying into Des Moines tomorrow to help out with Gwen so that Nate can work and study for boards (thanks mom, you're the best!). We will keep you informed on everything.

Thanks again!
-Kim

13 comments:

The Pratts said...

Kimmy, that picture of Beck in his hospital bed totaly makes me cry! Poor little guy. I can't even imagine what your whole family has been dealing with. You're in our thoughts and prayers!!

Heather O'Brien said...

Oh Kim. My mom just called and told me you were here. I am SO sorry. I will call you in the morning. Maybe I can come see you if it's not too crazy for you. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

We're keeping you guys in our thoughts and prayers, wishing we could help you in some way.

Love ya!

Barb, Glen and Brianna

Hoggards said...

So sad! You're in our prayers! Love ya!

The Simmons Family said...

Poor Becks... it's aweful to watch your baby feel so terrible!!

Hopefully the antibotics will work, the bacteria will go away and he'll be feeling better SOON!

I'm glad he enjoys movies... it probably makes the time pass a little more quickly.

Anonymous said...

We'll keep you in our prayers!

Ben, Rebecca, Natali, Isaac, Spencer said...

You guys are in our prayers! Poor little Beck, it just breaks my heart! I want to reach out and pick him up from that little bed and hold him! What a sweet little baby boy!!

Laken said...

Poor Baby Beck! I don't even know him in real life, but I have so much love for his little self. I am hoping and praying that he overcomes this and gets back to normal. I pray that the rest of you all will be okay, too. Let me know if there is anything I can do from afar. If you don't feel weird about giving me your address, I have something that I want to send Beck. My email is lakenescobar@yahoo.com.

Crystal said...

Oh Kim, we wish there was something that we could do to help you get through this, but know our prayers are with you, as always. We are sending hugs to Beck and good wishes.

From our heart to yours,
Tom and Crystal

Natalie said...

Kim, I wish I were closer so I could help you out. Poor little baby. I will keep all of you in my prayers. You are amazing Kim. I really hope that things get better.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe what beckham has gone through! poor little guy! I bet this is hard for all of you! I hope he gets well soon! We wish the best for you and we hope to see you guys soon!

The Alands said...

Kim, I am so sorry, how miserable for Beckham. We will keep you in our prayers.

Me said...

Oh man, i am so sorry he looks like he doesn't feel well. We will pray that you guys can catch a little moment of rest. Much love, Hilary-Daxton's mommy