Monday, February 16, 2009

Update 2/16/09

Whew....where to begin. Sometimes our lives feel like we are running in circles, never seeming to get out of the same old cycle of home, hospital, and home again. I know we'll get there...just one day at a time I guess.

If you couldn't read between the lines, Beck is back in the hospital. After being home for only 3 1/2 days, his fevers were getting out of control and he added vomiting to the mix (guess he just felt like we didn't have enough excitement to deal with). We headed the ER Sunday afternoon, to which Beckham greeted the waiting room by filling it with vomit. Luckily, everyone is VERY familiar with him and immediately ushered us back to a room. From there, Beck had a load of blood tests, an x-ray, and then was admitted. It was a nice thing that I was 100% positive that he would be admitted and packed ahead of time.

After getting settled in our room and debriefing the residents, I made it clear that EVERYTHING needed to be ruled out as a factor for Beck's illness - mainly brain and heart. They agreed and then went on to tell me that in the x-ray done earlier that night, his heart was larger than the x-ray done the week before. Naturally this scared me to death and I freaked out! They took us down for a CT scan soon after and did a EKG of his heart. The CT of his brain came back normal. Can you believe that? Normal! This means that his clot and bleed can no longer be seen in his brain. A big sigh of relief was made that it was not his brain, although this still left the heart to think and worry about. His EKG came back irregular...but they expected irregularity with a transplanted heart, and went on to order and ECHO for the next day. On top of everything else, Beckham at that time had started to have numerous, stinky, dirty diapers in a row. Think about it...multiple dirty diapers and a fresh circumcision equals a bad combination and lots of pain. Ouch, ouch, ouch! All I can say is that not much sleep was had here last night.

A cardiology visit and an ECHO the next day showed a normal heart (whew) and no signs of rejection (whew again). We gave another big sigh of relief, but still had no idea what was wrong with him until the results of his stool sample came back positive for Rotavirus. If you are unfamiliar with this, it is a virus that causes fever, diarrhea, and vomiting, and can last 3-9 days. Most children are vaccinated against this virus, but Beckham cannot have it because it is a live vaccine. All we can do now is wait it out until it has ran it's course and Beckham will probably have to stay in the hospital while it does. He refuses to eat, and the little bit he drinks he vomits. He is on IV fluids and we are doing our best to keep him comfortable. Right now all he wants is to be held and cuddled 24/7 and we are doing our best to make this possible.

Please keep our little guy in your prayers, that this virus will not attack his body the way the Hand, Food, and Mouth virsus did. Thanks for all the continual support!

-Beckham & Co.

11 comments:

Nelson Family said...

Kim, I wish I could be there to give you a hug and stay up with your little guy while you get some sleep. I'm so sorry that you have to go through such horrible things. Please give Beck an extra squeeze for us and know that you all will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers! HUGS!!!!!

Michelle, Cory, Dominik, Cade, Damian and Anielle said...

You are definitely in our thoughts and prayers. Wish we could be there to help out. Hope this virus goes quickly. Love you guys!

Jen said...

How do you guys do it? You are truly amazing people. We will keep your family in our prayers. We love you tons!!

Andrea said...

Oh Kim...I am so sorry to hear the news. Rotavirus sucks big time under "normal" circumstances. On top of everything else. (so what was up with them telling you his heart was bigger when it was really just fine) Like you needed that to worry about all night. I am sorry you have to live at the hospital this week. Hopefully it will pass sooner than later and all will be well. Hang in there Scadlocks, and of course we will have you in our prayers.

Crystal said...

All I can say is that you are in our prayers, everyday, and especially when Beckham is in the hospital. He is a little fighter and will over come this bridge just as he has every other one, one day at a time. Keep strong Kim and Nate. We are sending you all our support and love, I hope you feel it!

From our heart to yours,
Tom and Crystal

Andy said...

Beckham is always in our thoughts. We hope that you can put these frequent hospital visits behind you! We have been talking about Jake with Ben a lot lately - he asks about him. Holly asked him if he wanted to see pictures of Beckham, he liked that. Ben wants Beckham to come over and play with his toy - now to explain that Iowa is far away, not to mention other things that would make that tough to do!

Glad his heart and brain are looking good. Go away virus!

Andy

Ryan & Holly Willard said...

You are always in out thoughts and prayers. We love you guys. We are so glad that his heart and brain look good- another miracle! Poor guy, rotovirus is miserable.

Holly said...

I am here to second what Andy said! You know, whenever I have a sick little one that wants to be cuddled constantly, I am upset that he's not feeling well (of course!), but the cuddling can be so nice. Enjoy that, and you will be in our thoughts (then again, you always are). Beckham, show that virus who's boss and get back home soon!

With love,
Holly

{Erica} said...

oh man that stinks! I'm just glad that it's something that can be taken care of fast and that he'll be better soon. I hope he gets better sooner rather than later for everyone involved! Let us know if you guys need anything please!

Love you guys.

Kaycee said...

AAAAAAAA!Our little Gavin had rotavirus when he was 18 months old and we were in the hospital over Christmas. It was horrible. Poor little Beckham! I cannot imagine going through what that little man has gone through. It just breaks my heart for you and him. My kids still pray for "baby Beckham" every night and whenever there are different people there to hear them they always ask about baby Beckham. There are ALOT of people around here that have your Beck in their prayers as well!! Love you and good luck!!

Niki Carter said...

Oh my goodness! You guys can't catch a break! Poor Beckham, poor you! I don't even know what to say . . .