Thursday, February 12, 2009

2/12/09


It's surely been a looooong couple of days and I can hear my bed and Beck's crib calling us from inside this hospital room. We can't wait to heed their cries, but for now we will have to wait.

To give you a short explanation, Beck's surgery was successful but he is now back in the hospital. Shocked? I'm sure you aren't. He is Beck, and always seems to want to keep us on our toes.

To give you a long explanation....Beck and I (Kim) headed out to Iowa City for his 8:00AM scheduled surgery on Tuesday. They wanted us there at 6:30AM, which meant that we had to leave around 4:00AM (oh joy) to get there on time. After arriving at the hospital, the process was pretty simple - check-in, wait, meds, wait, meeting with miscellaneous doctors, and more waiting. They had given him a does of Versed before the surgery (which usually has minimal effects on him) and Beck became one happy, loopy baby. While we were waiting to go back to the OR, Beckham was on a bed in the post-op room and swaying back and forth in a drunken sort of manner. Another couple was watching him in his loopy state and looked at me in a questioning manner, to which I responded, "he's a little stoned right now." I realized right after my comment, that that was probably not the best response because they both gave me an almost offended look. I guess I should have responded "I'm sorry, my son is under the influence of an anesthetic and is suffering from its effects." Hmmmm...next time, I guess. All in all, the surgery was a success, Beckham's bilateral hydrocele's were fixed, and he was circumcised.

Beck and I headed home a few hours later, with a sheet of symptoms that they did not want him to suffer from post-op. Of course, Beck did not have one, but all of the symptoms (fever, not peeing, horrible pain) on the sheet and soon after returning home, we had to make the trek the ER here in Des Moines. The ER soon admitted him and we were placed in a room surrounded by RSV kiddos (I can hear all of the other heart mom's cringing as I write this). Right now is the peak of RSV season and this is exactly the place where we do not need to be! Yikes.

As for now, we are hoping to be released today. We will see about that because we were supposed to be released yesterday, but as the nurse was filling out the discharge papers, Beck spiked a fever and broke out in a rash. Go figure.

We'll keep you posted as usual. Thanks for all of your thoughts and prayers. We will make it to our beds at home soon enough!

11 comments:

Posh Totty said...

Thinking of you all as always, especially your lil man and I hope you make it home real soon Xxx

Anonymous said...

You're right, I cringed BIG TIME when you said you were surrounded by RSV kids!! Yikes!! Glad the surgeries went well, too bad Beck had all the symptoms NOT to have once you were home. Hopefully he'll start to perk up so you can go home where it's safe from all those gross germs!!

Beckham is always in our prayers.

Heidi, Kevin & Ellie
www.carepages.com EllieJoSchmidt

ps- I love the cold day activities! So cute even when they are getting into trouble! :)

Laken said...

Oh, no! Hopefully y'all will be headed home SOON!!! Thinking of you all!

Ben, Rebecca, Natali, Isaac, Spencer said...

Oh Beck! It never is easy is it. I hope you get home soon and without any fun RSV.

Leeann said...

Beck, I'm sorry you are back in the hospital! I hope you are causing trouble at home again, soon!

lexie said...

Glad about the surgery going well, sad about all the other stuff! Loved the "my kid is stoned" comment. It will give that couple something to talk about!

Holly said...

Oh, poor Beckham! I keep hoping that the drama in his little life will cease and he can just enjoy life without too much worry. I also cringed when I read RSV!! I hope that you are, by now, headed home with a healthy Beckham. I've thought a lot about him today -- I can hardly believe it's been a year and a half today since I held a lively, cheerful Jake. Seeing Beckham's photo has helped ease the pain I'm feeling quite a bit (and cuddling with Alex this morning, and having Ben hug me numerous times before I left him at the sitter's!). There are no words to tell you how seeing Beckham, even through this long distance means, makes me feel. Andy and I are both so blessed to have had not only our Jake, but Beckham, too. I'm so glad that we can count you as part of our lives.

Take care, and I look forward to an update full of good news!

Andrea said...

Oh Kim...I hope you get to come home soon! I am glad the surgery went well though. Keep us updated.

PS: You know I am still totally game for Legally Blonde. I checked it out, and it goes until the first week of March, so let me know when you want to go--and I am there!!

Nelson Family said...

Kim, your strength and Beck's never ceases to amaze me. I'm not a heart mom, but I cringed about the RSV thing, too!
Good luck to you! You're in our prayers!

likeschocolate said...

We were shocked to read about Beckham being in the hospital. If having a heart transplant wasn't enough. We will keep him in our prayers and pray that he will no longer suffer from ear infections.

JDM said...

Blasted RSV season.
We will be praying for you guys.
We think about you all the time but now we will send EXTRA good thoughts your way!