Saturday, August 9, 2008

Update 8/9/08

Sorry for the lack of posts. We have just barely returned from our vacation in Utah. We had a great time, but we are thrilled to be home!

Upon being home just one day we had yet another hospital visit. The surprising part is that the visit was not for Beckham, but for Gwen. Gwen spiked a super duper high fever on Tuesday evening and by the middle of the night her fever had reached around 104, she was inconsolable and drooling like crazy (very odd). We thought that it was best to take her to the ER. Once at the hospital they discovered that her white blood count was elevated and she was diagnosed with the Hand, Foot and Mouth disease. This illness has only effected her mouth (so far). We can't say the same for Beckham because he woke up yesterday morning with a fever and sores all in his mouth and on the bottom of his feet. We had to take him to the ER last night and he was admitted to the hospital. He will hopefully be released soon if we can get his fever under control and he starts eating and taking his meds. They put an NG tube in him three times already and he has pulled out every single one. I can't say that I blame him because I would sure hate something up my nose. Let me tell you that this sickness is awful. The kids are just beside themselves in pain. Their mouths are covered with sores everywhere (literally). Poor little Gwen and Beck just want to cuddle all day (very, very odd...but really cute for Nate and I). We will be grateful when this is over. I am sure glad that Nate has not started school yet and that he can be home with me to help me with our sickies.

The rest of us are doing great. Beck had a cardiology appointment yesterday and his heart looks great. His Tacro level is also stable for the moment. He really is doing remarkable for what he has been through in his little life (can you believe that it has almost been a year since his transplant?). While we were in Utah we kept getting comments on how Beck looks like a normal, healthy, happy baby. Everyone expects a "sickly" looking child and that is just not even close of a way to describe our little guy.

That is all for now. I will post pictures from our vacation soon...well, as soon as my little kiddos get feeling better and Beck is out of the hospital.

-Kim, Nate, Gwen & Beck

11 comments:

{Erica} said...

poor kiddos. What can we do? call us :)

Leeann said...

I am glad you made it home safe.
I'm sorry to hear about the sickness, though. Geez...it never ends, does it?

Jen said...

Oh, your poor kids. I've heard that disease is awful!! I sure hope they get feeling better soon.

Glad you guys made it back safely from Utah. We were in Utah over the 24th...too bad we didn't get together. Maybe next time. :)

Hang in there and good luck with everything.

We sure love you guys!

Curtis and Jen

lexie said...

I am sorry that your kids are not doing good. It is no fun to have a sick kid, let alone two. Hopefully it paces fast! I am excited to see your utah pics!

The Alands said...

Kim,

I can't believe it! Tyler has hand, foot and mouth right now. Same thing, his fever got up to 104.5 and he is drooling like crazy. This is so awful. I am not even sure if I can take another day of this. Ty has sores all in his mouth, lips and face. My doctor told me it can last up to 7 days and we are only on day 4. I am so sorry that both your kids got it, I hope they all start feeling better soon.

Jenny

e-mail me at jenny_yeates@yahoo.com so I can send you an invite.

Andrea said...

Geez that is crazy! I am SO sorry--those poor little kiddos. Bless their hearts :( And you and Nate for that matter. I wished that I could do something to help. PLEASE let me know if there is Kim... You guys are SO awesome, hang in there, and hopefully this will pass soon.

Michelle, Cory, Dominik, Cade, Damian and Anielle said...

That's no fun that your kids are sick. Camille's two oldest got it just barely also. The week she brought home her third. Hopefully they pull through quickly. Wish I was there to help you and wish we could've seen each other more while you were here. Good luck with things!!!

Megan and Shawn said...

Hope things are improving. Poor Gwen and Beckham, and poor you two!! I'm sure you're so sick of hospitals by now. We are thinking of you all.

Laken said...

I hope that you all get well soon! I will keep your precious family in my prayers. :)

Douglass Family said...

ARE YOU KIDDING ME! You two amaze me! What a great attitude you have. It was SO fun to see you at Jana's wedding. I loved meeting your two little ones and seeing you. KIM I don't think you will ever know how much I absolutely love your STINKING GUTS! Sundance forever man!

Jana said...

Kim,
It was so fun to see you at my wedding. I hope the kids are doing better. We need to find a time to meet. I love ya!