Sunday, July 13, 2008

Update 7/13/08

Good news, good news, and more good news!

Good news #1:
Beck did not throw up anymore and he did not have to go back into the hospital. He also did not lose as much weight as I thought from his stomach virus. Way to go little champ!

Good news #2:
Last week we attended an award ceremony for Methodist and Blank Childrens Hospitals. These hospitals received an award because of their success rate of families deciding to donate their loved ones organs (this was the same award that the University of Iowa received in January). To receive the award a hospital has to have a success rate above 75%. Nate was asked to speak at the ceremony. We love speaking at events like these so that we continually thank all those that saved Beck's life and honor the donor of his heart. The news came for this event and did a clip on Beckham. It was shown on the 5:00 PM news on Channel 13 (NBC). I have tried to find the clip on their website so that I can post it, but they must not have uploaded it. They are going to send us a DVD with the story. I will post it on the blog when it comes.

One really neat thing that happened at this ceremony was that we were able to meet a family who had tragically lost their child and made the unselfish decision to donate her organs. I have never talked to a family who donated the organs of their child before and this was...quite the experience(in a positive way)...to say the least. Both Nate and I were very emotional when we heard them talking during the ceremony and telling their daughter's story. The best part was talking to them after. I sat with the mother of the little girl and we both cried as she told me about her daughter and about why they decided to donate her organs. Their reason for donating was one that I had never thought about...and one that brought me more comfort than anything else has. She told me that when they lost her their hearts were so broken and they knew that if they donated her organs it would mean that other parents would not have to feel the same pain they were feeling. Isn't that incredible? I know how heart broken I was when I learned how sick Beck was and I never ever want someone else to feel that pain...but I did not lose him. I never had to feel that pain. He his here and healthy and happy. This is all because someone else made the unselfish decision to donate their child's organs. I am so grateful to have been able to talk to this family. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Good news #3:
We made it to Utah! Yeah! We are actually on a vacation...away from our home!

There may be a lack of posts while we are here. Thanks so much for all of your prayers while Beck was in the hospital last week.

-Kim, Nate, Gwen & Beck

15 comments:

Posh Totty said...

Pleased to be able to come and read some good news at last and I hope you all enjoy your vacation Xxx

Jen said...

I'm so glad you guys were able to make it safely to Utah...and even better, I'm so glad that Beckham is doing better. You two are amazing parents. Gwen and Beckham are lucky to have you both. What a great opportunity to speak at the award ceremony for the hospital. I'm sure your stories and experiences touch the lives of many. You guys are amazing!! Enjoy the rest of your time in Utah!! We will actually be in Utah in a couple of weeks...yay for vacations:)

Love you guys,
Jen Cheney

{Erica} said...

All good news...best news of all though is that you guys are here and we can play :)

Heather Ballard said...

I'm so glad that everything is going better. Wow, you guys are so strong. It was fun seeing you at Jana's reception. I hope we can hang out while you are here. When are you getting your root canal? Maybe we'll need to work around that right?

Laken said...

Yay! Can't wait to see the clip!!!

Debbi said...

What great news! Sorry I haven't been commenting and you've had such a hard month, but at least things are looking up and you are on vacation. I bet it is so nice to be back home and out with family! You guys are great!

Anonymous said...

Thats great news! I am glad that you guys didn't have to take him back to the hospital. Have fun in Utah! I am super jealous.

kdance said...

I'm so happy about all the good news! I'm glad you made it safe to Utah. Hmmm, how does getting together on the 31st sound??? If not then, maybe the 2nd? I miss you tons. Give Beckham and Gwen a big kiss from me and Evan!

I hope you get to put on the video soon. I'd love to see it!

lexie said...

finally a vacation! And a much needed one at that. HAve tons of fun with all your guys family.

The Three Musketeers and their Mommy said...

Wow, I haven't looked at your blog in a while and I have missed a lot! I am so sorry to hear about all the craziness that has happened!
I was sooo happy to see you at Jana's reception! I wanted to talk to you more and meet Beck! I looked around for you but couldn't find you. I am sure you left to get your cute kidos in bed. But I really want to get together with you!!! I hope that you have had your root canal and that it went well (you know, as well as it can!). I am going out of town this weekend and will be gone for a week. I really want to see you though so please email me a number that I can reach you at. Thanks!!

The Three Musketeers and their Mommy said...

Oh, it was good to read about your good news too! That truly is incredible about the parents that donated their little girls organs! Amazing!

Nelson Family said...

Kim.....I link over periodically from Michelle's blog and can't believe the things you guys have had to go through with your little Beckham. You are such a strong girl and I admire you so much. I wanted to let you know that your situation has brought up several conversations with my family as well as my spouse (Jason) about organ donation. I have always wanted to be a donor, but have had a whole new perspective since reading your story. Thank you for teaching and sharing so much of your life. It has really made a difference in our lives! Love ya! Tricia (Brady) Nelson

Leeann said...

It was so great to meet you guys! You have such a wonderful family and are so incredible. I'll be following up on you regularly now!

Casey said...

Hey guys, Dana and I have checked your blog periodically over the past year, but hadn't been on there recently. Beckham looks great! Congratulations.

Hope to see you soon.
Casey & Dana Willard

lizdye said...

KIM! Hello, i have been reading your blog for the past half hour catching up on your life and your family. Your children are so beautiful and it sounds like you have been through some difficult times. I cannot believe how much has happened since I last saw or heard from you. I heard you were in town recently and Jenny was telling me all about you guys and making my eyes tear up. I know this is very not personal over a blog and all but I will keep my prayers with your family. You are an amazing mother and I miss the fun times we have had. Good luck with everything and I am so glad that we can be in contact through the internet. Love, LIBBY