Thursday, July 3, 2008

Update 7/3/08

All that I can say is that when it rains...it pours!! This has definitely not been the best couple of weeks here in the Scadlock household.

First:
Last week the summer sick bug visited. It started with little Gwen spiking a fever and getting congested. It soon passed on to Nate, me, and unfortunately little Beck. Beckham actually seemed to handle this cold like a baby with a normal immune system...meaning that he spiked a fever for a couple of days, had nasty congestion, and seemed to improve by the third day. I was feeling so excited because he always takes at least 3 weeks to get over the smallest cold. Nate also developed a huge mouth sore. It was so bad that he could barely talk (it actually sounded so funny. He was so mad that I kept making fun of him). He had to give a presentation at work and had to try and talk through the whole thing like a normal person. What a trooper!

Second:
I went to the dentist on Monday to get a cavity filled (one of three that I have to get filled in the next two weeks). While drilling the tooth the dentist saw that the cavity spread all the way to the nerve and gave me two options to fix that and they were to either have the tooth pulled or get a root canal. I opted to get the root canal and was then told that Medicaid will not pay for a root canal on a back tooth, plus the tooth would also need a crown which Medicaid would also not cover (what the heck? Do they just expect us to have no back teeth?). I still opted to get the root canal and crown without insurance over getting the tooth pulled. The dentist then took my x-ray into the other dentist in the office and they both agreed that the cavity was so bad that I would need to go to a specialist. I have to get this done a.s.a.p because now that the tooth has been opened up I have developed an infection. I woke up the next morning feeling like I have the flu and I am in a lot of pain in my mouth.

Third and definitely not least:
At 2:00 AM on Wednesday morning I woke up to Beck crying. When I went into his room to check on him, I reached in his crib to grab his binki and found that it was soaked with vomit. I quickly picked him up and woke up Nate. Beckham continued to throw-up for a little while and I noticed that he had a fever. We debated on whether we should take him to ER or not. We opted to wait until morning and take him to his doctor first. Beck seemed to do better in the morning and took a bottle and later his meds. I still decided to take him to the doctor and right when I walked into the waiting room at the doctors office Beckham started vomiting everywhere. I did not know what to do because it was all over both of us and the floor. They quickly got us back to the doctor who sent us right to the ER. Beck was pretty dehydrated at this point and extremely lethargic. He was quickly given and IV at the ER (they got it in with only two pokes..that is a record) and fluids. He was admitted so they could watch him over night. He threw up a couple more times after that, but he was given Zofran to help stop it. I also woke up last night to check on Beck and there was blood everywhere because Beck had pulled his IV apart (the IV is on his head and he really hates it). I quickly called the nurse who fixed it right away. I stayed with him last night and most of today. It was so sad because he feels so sick and all he wants to do is cuddle. We thought that he might be doing a little better today and we gave him a little bit to eat. Nate and I ended up with what he ate all over us and he was given more Zofran and his IV was turned back on. Beck is going to stay at the hospital again tonight. Lets hope and pray that tomorrow Beck will be able to keep something down, start to feel better, and we will be able to go home and watch the fireworks...on TV or something:) Poor baby!

Wow, is all I can say. To look at the bright side, Beck's heart still looks great! What a relief!

Have a great 4th of July everyone. I have always loved this holiday and even if we have to spend it at the hospital we will at least be able to spend it as a family.

Thanks for all of your prayers and support.
Much love,
-Kim, Nate, Gwen & Beck

P.S - We are thinking that we will have to postpone our Utah trip for a couple of weeks. For those that we are coming to see...we still want to see you...just a little later. We have to all be healthy first!

8 comments:

{Erica} said...

oh man so not a fun week for you guys! I am so sorry that i'm not there to help. Both bret and I are reading this together and we feel so bad for you guys and beck. We hope that he feels better soon.

Nate - you were TRULY missed tonight at the game...we thought of you often and wished you were there with us.

Kim - I hope you have a wonderful birthday on saturday. I just wish that we could be there to help you celebrate.

ps should've taken pics of nates lovely sore...that blog post would've rocked :)

let us know what we can do from afar...SERIOUSLY!

Anonymous said...

That totally stinks and I am so sorry that he isn't feeling well. What a nightmare that you all went through the bug. Very irritating about your root canal... urg. Teeth problems are about as annoying as car problems, cause you have to fix them =) Take care and I hope you get a chance to go on your vacation later.

kdance said...

Happy Birthday, Kimmie! I am so ticked that you've had all this crappiness going on!!! I hope you'll still be able to come out to Utah. I'm dying to see you! How's little Beck today????

lexie said...

Happy Birthday Kim!! Hopefully today went a little better then the rest of the week. Good luck with the tooth. I know what a pain dentist can be :)

Posh Totty said...

Happy birthday Xxx

I hope things start to improve for you all real soon Xxx

Nicole said...

Gosh guys you did have a terrible week! I am so sorry, you are in our thoughts and prayers! We hope little Beck is doing better and can stay out of the hospital, that is NOT a fun place!

The Robinson Bunch said...

Hello Kim and Nate, were the robinsons from the second ward. you guys have such a beautiful, strong family. we read your blog on a daily basis and I'am just so humbled by the strength that you show after all you have gone through. its just amazing. My husbands name is also Nate. My husband is also going to school to eventually become a CRNA. I was wondering where nate is currently attending school at for his bachelors? also did nate go right to the ICU after getting his nursing license? ...thank you for the time in reading our comment. as I know you must be super busy and we pray for your little beckham

Heather Ballard said...

Glad everything is better. 4th of July reminds me of you because we met at the stadium of fire when the beach boys were there. Plus your birthday is the next day. I hope you had a great birthday. I always remember your birthday every year.