Tuesday, August 10, 2010
A really "crappy" hospital stay
Excuse my lame attempt at humor in the title of this post. But sometimes you just have to make light of a really poop filled situation!
After an incredible Transplant Games experience (more posts to follow regarding the Games), we made it home and back to reality....or, in our case, this meant that we were back to a whole slew of boxes because of our recent move to Iowa City (I'll try to get to a post about our move as well). Now, for the record, I am NOT a fan of unpacking, and I was looking for every excuse in the book to put off the inevitable, and, sadly, I guess that Beckham took it upon himself to make sure I did not get to unpacking by unloading a whole load of crap - 17 poop filled diapers in one day -, vomiting, and spiking a fever. So, to make a long story short, Beckham, Gwen, and myself had to make a trek to the ER, where Beck was admitted (on Saturday night), and where he is still at today.
Now you might be wondering why I had to take my little Gwen to the hospital as well, and the answer to that is that Nate was at work in Des Moines, which is two hours away from Iowa City, and because we live in a new town where I don't know anyone to call to help me out. Moving bites! Also, you might be wondering what it is like to take a 4 year old and a 3 year old to the ER, while carrying a baby in my stomach, and the answer to that is....well....I sure hope that I NEVER have to do that again!
Now, back to the poop (since that is the main reason for this post...awesome). As of now, Beckham, tests negative to pretty much everything - c-diff (which he had 3 weeks ago), rotavirus, CMV, infection, virus, and so forth- and he has great labs with platelets at 415 and hemoglobin at 12.5. The only tests that have not come back is for a possibly parasite, but the doctors are almost positive that that will come back negative as well.
The plan for today is to do an Endoscopy and a Sigmoidoscopy, to check for something fishy going on in his insides. Beck will be completely out for this procedure...which I am SO thankful for. He has had 2 previous Sigmoidoscopy's, and both were while he was awake, and both were AWFUL to watch! Let's hope today's procedure goes very smooth.
That's it for now. I just heard an explosion from across the room and I have to run and change yet another poopie diaper!
-Beckham & Co.
After an incredible Transplant Games experience (more posts to follow regarding the Games), we made it home and back to reality....or, in our case, this meant that we were back to a whole slew of boxes because of our recent move to Iowa City (I'll try to get to a post about our move as well). Now, for the record, I am NOT a fan of unpacking, and I was looking for every excuse in the book to put off the inevitable, and, sadly, I guess that Beckham took it upon himself to make sure I did not get to unpacking by unloading a whole load of crap - 17 poop filled diapers in one day -, vomiting, and spiking a fever. So, to make a long story short, Beckham, Gwen, and myself had to make a trek to the ER, where Beck was admitted (on Saturday night), and where he is still at today.
Now you might be wondering why I had to take my little Gwen to the hospital as well, and the answer to that is that Nate was at work in Des Moines, which is two hours away from Iowa City, and because we live in a new town where I don't know anyone to call to help me out. Moving bites! Also, you might be wondering what it is like to take a 4 year old and a 3 year old to the ER, while carrying a baby in my stomach, and the answer to that is....well....I sure hope that I NEVER have to do that again!
Now, back to the poop (since that is the main reason for this post...awesome). As of now, Beckham, tests negative to pretty much everything - c-diff (which he had 3 weeks ago), rotavirus, CMV, infection, virus, and so forth- and he has great labs with platelets at 415 and hemoglobin at 12.5. The only tests that have not come back is for a possibly parasite, but the doctors are almost positive that that will come back negative as well.
The plan for today is to do an Endoscopy and a Sigmoidoscopy, to check for something fishy going on in his insides. Beck will be completely out for this procedure...which I am SO thankful for. He has had 2 previous Sigmoidoscopy's, and both were while he was awake, and both were AWFUL to watch! Let's hope today's procedure goes very smooth.
That's it for now. I just heard an explosion from across the room and I have to run and change yet another poopie diaper!
-Beckham & Co.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Kim, this is Krista Donnelly, one of Beck's followers as I have taken care of you guys many times in the PICU in Iowa City. I live literally a block away from the hospital and would be happy to watch Gwen anytime you need it! I have a 7month old daughter, Reese who would love to hang out with a "big girl". Also, it would be nice for you since we could come visit you in the hospital since we are so close (or you could come here). You would probably remember me if you saw me, let me know if I can help at all. My phone # is 563-343-3005.Hope Beck feels better soon!
Praying everything goes smooth today and they can figure out what is happening and get to fixing it.
Kim have you taken to swearing, cause I know for sure I would have been. Not at Beck, but just at the whole situation. Moving stinks, not having a hubby around, Beck being sick, not feeling like you have anyone to call on, two kids in the ER, pregnant....yep pretty sure I would be swearing something fierce! I can't wait for more posts about the games. They looked AMAZING!
Wish I could blink myself there and take Gwen for you for a little while. Good luck. I hate poop :(
I wish I was there to watch Gwen! I can pray for you! It doesn't sound like much, but hopefully you'll find some tender mercies along the journey. Love you Kim, and I like the swearing comment :) Do you have an outlet yet? Maybe one of those kid's punching bags?
Kim- I hope Beck gets better soon! Thinking of your family! Also when things slow down a little call or go online to the U of I school of education and get names for students that would be willing to babysit or also try sittercity.com I have also heard of people that call some of the sororities to post a flier at the house for students that would to earn some extra money and most students have odd hours and your might be able to find a few girls that could come at any time.
Good luck!! Brianna
ohno...Poor Beckham..and Poor Mommy and Gwen..I am so sorry..I wish I was there I would help you..I will be praying.. I hate you are having to go through that alone.. I will pray for God to send you someone who will be an Angel to help you guys when you need a hand in the new city.
Hugs, Prayers and Love,
Rhonda
YIKES!! Hope things have settled down and the docs have an answer for you!
I know a heart mom named Tracey Snyder who lives in North Liberty....10 minutes from IC....and she runs a daycare out of her home. I am sure she could help you out in a pinch if you ever needed her. Let me know and I will pass along her contact info to you.
My e-mail jacks_rswl@mepotelco.net
I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!
Post a Comment