Saturday, March 13, 2010

A hard time

I'm not one to "blog" instead of writing an update or give a little glimpse into our lives, but tonight I wanted to use this website to write down a couple of thoughts, hoping to collect myself in the process.

This week has been tough as I watched Beckham closely, noticing how each day brought more bruises, more evidence that something was not right, and proof when his labs came back with lowered platelets again (which are continuing to decline). He does not have an illness at all that could be causing his decline in platelets, but then again, he does not have too. He has Evans Syndrome, which means that he can drop at any moment. Yikes. I'm not okay with that. I hate watching him suffer.

I spent hours this week researching Evans Syndrome, becoming FREAKED out with what I read (P.S - my advise to anyone is to NOT research stuff because it scares that crap out of you!), and becoming more scared for the future - scared for Beckham's health, scared that he will not get to experience things that a little boy should be allowed to experience, scared that this will effect his angel heart, scared of the treatments he will have to receive again, and just plain scared in general.

Bottom line: I'm having a hard time with this. A really hard time. A really, really, really hard time.

Right before I put the kiddos to bed tonight, I watched Beckham barely smack his back side against something, and a huge bruise immediately appeared (one of MANY bruises). I went to my room after the kids were down and had a meltdown. And after I composed myself I sat and thought and thought and thought and then I turned on my computer and watched this:



The new bottom line: I'm going to have a hard time with this....but that's okay. I'm supposed to have a hard time. And, I'm not alone, nor will I ever be. Beckham is worth every bit of this suffering. I love him more than words can express. He is mine, and Heavenly Father knew that he (and I) could handle this.

And I'm okay with that.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cannot stand by and not give Beckham all that I have to give. I can offer my faith prayers and Promises. You may rest easy my precious daughter, that we share your burden and deep concern. You are so richly blessed with the gift of Love. That gift makes your dear heart so tender. I would not have you any other way.
I need to make a correction on my last comment.The pathetic M.D. got his degree at the U of Big Lots. I checked him out. Love Mom

The Simmons Family said...

I am so so sorry. I can't imagine watching my baby bruise like that. I do know what it's like to not know what their outcome looks like. To not know what their quality of life will be. It breaks my heart. As a parent, we just want to make it all better for them. The one thing that gets me through is the smile on Owen's face. Heavenly Father gave us little fighters that don't give up. He also trusted us enough to bless us with such amazing little guys. I have learned more in the past two years with Owen than I ever thought I needed to know. We pray for you all and Beckham often!!

Jen said...

You guys are such great people. We love your family so much. Beckham is lucky to have you...he couldn't have been blessed with a better family.

{z} said...

kim...i'm so sorry you are having a hard time. i really appreciate your honesty and openness about all the struggles you are going through. it strengthens me..especially now. We just found out that Casey is probably loosing his job so i've been pretty stressed. thanks for sharing your triumph. you are a rock for more than just beck!

Carly said...

Kim, I'm so sorry that you are having such a hard time. My heart aches for you. I hope you know that if you need ANYTHING I am here for you. A break to go shopping, or to have time with Gwen or even a girls night. You name it and I'm here. You are in my thought and prayers.

Jennilyn said...

You are so strong...You inspire me. I will send you all the blessings I can give through our Heavenly Father. We love you.

Ben, Rebecca, Natali, Isaac, Spencer said...

Kim I don't know what to say except that your little family is truly amazing and miraculous. Beckham is in our prayers.

Sandi said...

Kim, you never cease to amaze me...you always find a way to bring me to tears too!:( You are so strong and have so much faith, you're such an inspiration to others. I'm so sorry that you(and Beck, and fam) are having to go throuhg this. Once again you're in our prayers. Love you all tons!

Hoggards said...

I seriously can't imagine going through what you as a Mommy have to go through in watching Beckham suffer! You are so strong though and have a great perspective! Thanks for your great example! We are praying for you!

Natalie said...

I'm so sorry Kim. I can't imagine how hard it would be to watch your sweet little baby suffer, the fear of not knowing what's ahead. You are an amazing woman. I will pray for you and Beckham and Gwen and Nate. You are strong enough. And Beckham is strong enough. And you're right, it's okay to have a hard time with it. When my grandparents died, it was so hard emotionally, but it was hard because of how much love we shared. The same is true for you. I love you Kim, and I will be praying for you guys.

lizdye said...

I am so sorry, you are in my prayers and that video was just what I needed to see this sunday night. Know that you are an inspiration to me and I love you.

Stefenie said...

Big {{{HUG}}}! I truly feel for you Kim! I am sure it is so hard watching those bruises appear like that and constantly worrying what his counts are going to be like.

Hang in there!! Praying for all of you!

Stef, Ryan, Wyatt and Logan
www.whenlifehandsyouabrokenheart.blogspot.com

Niki Carter said...

Yuck. I remember when I "researched" Rachel's cancer and I found people who had lost their hand, foot, or fingers. I remember worrying that she wasn't going to make it or that if she did she was going to lose her foot. It was awful! I completely stopped looking things up. I'm sorry you are having a hard time. I can imagine that it would be a daily struggle.

Courtney said...

Kim, I'm aching to be with you at this time in your life. I deeply wish that I could be there for you with a shoulder to cry on...that we could cry together. No mother wants to see her child take on so much in their little life.

I have never known someone as strong as you are. And I can't even begin to comprehend the heartache you feel. But like the video said, Heavenly Father is there for you. You can turn to Him for anything.

I love you and miss you dearly. I know I'm not close anymore, but if there is anything I can do for you and your family, please let me.

Give Beckham kisses from us. XOXOXO!

RHONDA said...

Kim, I am so sorry you are having such a hard time, I can't even imagine what you deal with everyday. I pray for you and little Beckham often. He is such a cutie! I know what you mean about researching ..I wish I was not such a nosalina and have to read everything myself. Just know that God is in control not statistics. I will be praying! God chose you for Beckham's Mommy because he knew he needed a strong couragous Mommy, and that is you!!

Love and Hugs,
Rhonda

Thanks for the prayers for Zbug!
www.lylefamily5.blogspot.com

Jana said...

Kim thanks for sharing. You are one amazing person. I am so blessed to have you as my friend As I went to give Joslyn a kiss a tears came to my eyes. Please give Beckham a kiss from us. We are praying for all of you.

Unknown said...

You are correct my love you are not alone. Uncle Richard and I are right there beside you. We love you and are praying for you and your little family everyday. Do not dispair. Your have been through enough to have killed the average bear and are still on top! You will find scores of energy and reserves of love that will come at all of the right times. Heavenly Father loves you and sent Beck to the right family. Hugs to you. Love Ant Kathy

Nelson Family said...

Kim...you never cease to amaze me. Your candid thoughts bring a measure of faith and courage to anyone who reads them. Although you are a strong woman, you are allowed to feel discouraged and down. The refiners fire will do that to you and you always come through shining! I want you to know that I love you and count my blessings that I have been able to rub shoulders with you and learn from you. You help me learn to count my blessings!

HUGS!! My thoughts and prayers go out to you tonight! LOVE YOU!

lexie said...

You are by far the most amazing person I have ever meet. You make me want to be a better person and mother. i love you tons!!

Kris said...

Our thoughts and prayers are always with you

Lainey-Paney said...

I think you have the right to have mini-and-major-meltdowns.
As frequently as you need them!

Jenn said...

Kim,
I am so sorry you have to go through this! and even more sorry your little Beck has to! I cant imagine how you must feel everyday not knowing what is next. I think you have every right to have meltdowns...lots of them! We keep you both in our prayers and send many good thoughts and vibes to his recovery!
Jenn

queendeni said...

Kim you are amazing! There are no words that can suffice in describing your feelings concerning this experience you are facing, but I can only say this, "THe Lord loves you and is very aware of you!" The Prestons send all their love to you, you and your fam are in our prayers.
Deni

Florence said...


I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!