Wednesday, March 31, 2010
Teaser/The game plan
Beckham is a very typical 2 year old - naughty, rambunctious, sweet, playful, and a big tease. Apparently, and sadly, so are his platelets (except for the rambunctious and sweet part!) as they have chosen to drop again to 24. What teasers to raise to 48 and then plummet right back down. Not cool. Not cool at all. His hemoglobin is hanging out at 9 even, with a hematocrit of 27, and red blood cells at 3.4. Obviously his levels are not wanting to rise on their own (which I did not expect they would) so it's time to do something about it.
The game plan: IVIG! The reason for the IVIG: because I asked for Beckham to receive IVIG before we go all the way to Rituxin. I just wanted to try something a little less drastic and see if his little body will respond to it. Thus far, Beckham, has responded to IVIG 50% of the time. Not the best record, but it's better than zero! If he does not respond, then Rituxin will be the next drug of choice. The IVIG will be started on Monday (unless his levels come back super low on Thursday) and we are going to attempt to do them through an outpatient clinic. I'm a little nervous how this will go because it takes hours to infuse the IVIG, plus vitals have to be taken constantly to make sure that Beck is responding to them in a positive manner. It's not like we don't know the IVIG drill, as we have been though it multiple times before, but we have always been in the hospital, and it was always a little easier to contain this little guy and keep him occupied. On the bright side, we get to stay out of a germ filled hospital!
That's it for an update on Becks. We'll give you more info once it comes. On a different subject, I should mention that Nate and I finally changed our Utah phone numbers to Iowa numbers (it only took 4 1/2 years to do so). If you would like our new numbers please let me know and I will e-mail them to you. Thanks!
-Beckham & Co.
The game plan: IVIG! The reason for the IVIG: because I asked for Beckham to receive IVIG before we go all the way to Rituxin. I just wanted to try something a little less drastic and see if his little body will respond to it. Thus far, Beckham, has responded to IVIG 50% of the time. Not the best record, but it's better than zero! If he does not respond, then Rituxin will be the next drug of choice. The IVIG will be started on Monday (unless his levels come back super low on Thursday) and we are going to attempt to do them through an outpatient clinic. I'm a little nervous how this will go because it takes hours to infuse the IVIG, plus vitals have to be taken constantly to make sure that Beck is responding to them in a positive manner. It's not like we don't know the IVIG drill, as we have been though it multiple times before, but we have always been in the hospital, and it was always a little easier to contain this little guy and keep him occupied. On the bright side, we get to stay out of a germ filled hospital!
That's it for an update on Becks. We'll give you more info once it comes. On a different subject, I should mention that Nate and I finally changed our Utah phone numbers to Iowa numbers (it only took 4 1/2 years to do so). If you would like our new numbers please let me know and I will e-mail them to you. Thanks!
-Beckham & Co.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Ok, so the bad news is that you have to treat him again.. but the good news is that you can start with IVIG. It's a bummer they can't just send a nurse to your home for a day to do the infusion and monitor him. Wouldn't that be fantastic!? At least you can do outpatient and we'll be praying that it works!
So glad you don't have to take that sweet boy back to the germie hospital. I will be praying tht this treatment works and he want have to have the other, which seems to be the least option. Give him hugs from us...Hes a cutie for sure and we love hearing about him and keeping up with him..
You are an amazing Mommy..never forget it!!
Rhonda :)
www.lylefamily5.blogspot.com
Darn it! Sounds more like a lab error to rise and fall so rapidly.
There has been some research that Alpha Lipoic acid can help platelets rise. Beet roots and spinach are good, but I know little Beck may not be too fond of that stuff even disquised.
I will pray everything goes well and Beckham is easily entertained during his treatment. Pack your magic bag of little boy goodies and books and I'll add his name to my Church Prayer request book, so others will join in for a miracle.
Sorry to hear about those misbehaving blood levels! Naughty levels. I'm sure keeping the little man busy during treatments will be a trick of it's own but how awesome you won't be stuck in the hospital to sleep. Time to get some new play-doh and stickers (at least that's what would keep Ellie busy). Praying for great results!
Heidi, Kevin, Ellie & Baby Girl
http://kschmidtfamilynews.blogspot.com
ps- send me your new phone number :)
Kim, My sister Natalie told me I needed to check out your blog...so hear I am! You have a beautiful family! One of my twins (Erica) had open heart surgery 2 months ago (when she was 4 months old)...that was hard enough, and so I can't even imagine the trials your family faces each day. We will keep Baby Beckham in our prayers.
Teresa (Palmer) f
I am sorry that his counts continue to tease. That's not fair at all.
Praying that the IVIG goes well in the outpatient setting. Hang in there!!! You are doing a great job!!! {{{HUG}}}
I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!
Post a Comment