Wednesday, July 29, 2009
Update 7/29/09
After a slew of tests (blood work, urine analysis, and even a head CT scan) it looks like we might have pinpointed the reason for Beckham's puking illness (but then again, he is Beckham, and...well...you never know!). The thought is that Beckham's endocrine system is not handling him being off of the steroids, even though he was on a very slow, month long taper, and is causing him to be very sick. Because of this, he was started back on the steroids tonight and will be tapered off of them even slower than the last time. Let's hope and pray that this does the trick!
Beck's Tacro (anti-rejection med) level has also decided to whack out and rise sky high and he will have to stay in the hospital until the docs can get it under control. His transplant doctor believes that the rise is because of the lack of food in his body (from all of his vomiting) because Tacro is highly effected by food (that is why he has to be NPO for an hour before and a half hour after his meds). At least Beck was able to eat a little bit today and keep it down (woo hoo). Actually, when the nurses were putting in his IV today (because he literally ripped out his other IV and then laughed as he squirted blood all over the place) they had a good laugh because during the procedure Beckham was crying so hard that he let out a huge burp and all of the nurses rushed in to prepare for puke but instead said in unison "whoa, that smells like a hotdog." It was great! At least he kept it down right?
We're just glad that the staff at Blank Children's Hospital love Beck so much and treat him so well. They have been so funny as they hardly recognize our little chunk, and have commented that he still is just as cute. We sure second that thought! And speaking of a chunk, Beck has actually lost 3 lbs this week. Poor kid. At least he has the chunk to lose!
Let's pray that we can go home tomorrow! Wouldn't that be great?
-Beckham & Co.
Beck's Tacro (anti-rejection med) level has also decided to whack out and rise sky high and he will have to stay in the hospital until the docs can get it under control. His transplant doctor believes that the rise is because of the lack of food in his body (from all of his vomiting) because Tacro is highly effected by food (that is why he has to be NPO for an hour before and a half hour after his meds). At least Beck was able to eat a little bit today and keep it down (woo hoo). Actually, when the nurses were putting in his IV today (because he literally ripped out his other IV and then laughed as he squirted blood all over the place) they had a good laugh because during the procedure Beckham was crying so hard that he let out a huge burp and all of the nurses rushed in to prepare for puke but instead said in unison "whoa, that smells like a hotdog." It was great! At least he kept it down right?
We're just glad that the staff at Blank Children's Hospital love Beck so much and treat him so well. They have been so funny as they hardly recognize our little chunk, and have commented that he still is just as cute. We sure second that thought! And speaking of a chunk, Beck has actually lost 3 lbs this week. Poor kid. At least he has the chunk to lose!
Let's pray that we can go home tomorrow! Wouldn't that be great?
-Beckham & Co.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
Im so glad to hear that they have figured something out! I will be crossing my fingers and praying for you guys to go home tomorrow! You are so positive and amazing Kim! Stay strong and love ya lots! Jenn
I just sat down after being in Canada for four weeks to catch up on Beckham. I'm so glad he had ten weeks at home, darn, it should have been longer! Kim, you should write a book! Your sense of humor is wonderful. You are such a great family, we are so glad to be a "part" of it and to watch Beckham grow (no pun intended!), he is such a sweetie. And I LOVE the Hungry Hippo video!! Good luck with this hospital round, we will be prayer for you as always. I hope Beck will be home for his birthday. Two years, where did the time go?! Hang in there guys!
From our heart to yours,
Crystal
Glad to hear that he kept something down! Those steroids are no joke, huh? He is hardly recognizable but OH SO CUTE!
Hopefully the even slower steroid taper will work for little Mr. Beckham.
I feel your puke pain like nobody else does! Let's hope he can start keeping things down so you guys can go home!!
Heidi, Kevin & Ellie
This little guy just tickles me.
Wish I could brighten his day like he does mine. I will brighten him with Prayers for a Very Happy Birthday no matter where he may be. Hopefully home again, home again jiggity jig ;)
Oh man, I am sorry that he is throwing up so much. Daxton throws up when he is upset also. It is sad and annoying. He threw up today with his lab draw but we couldn't move because I was not going to let them poke him again. I hope that you guys can go home tomorrow. We will defiantly keep him in our prayers!
Beckham is so cute. I love that picture! Sorry you guys are back in the hospital. We are praying for you guys. Hope you can go home soon. Beckham is such a little ray of sunshine. He's so funny. I love the stories.
Dang it! Well, 10 weeks is still a great record! I'll be praying that he is home for his bday tomorrow. 2 years? Crazy! It flies so fast. Poor dude, though. NOthing worse than nausea and vomiting. Get better, Beckham!
Ok Kim!!!
Look at that little boy??? I love his steroid face! I can totally appreciate his chubbiness. Looking back at Mia I can totally tell now- but I love it!!
I am so sorry you're back!! I think you are super woman!!
Give Beck a squeeze from his girl friend Mia. Tomorrow sounds like a great day to go home!
Post a Comment