Thursday, July 2, 2009

Beautiful

I recently came across something that was just too beautiful to not share. I hope that the author will not mind that I am adding it to my blog and sharing it with all of you. It's taken from a recent post to an online transplant support group which I am a member of. I hope that it touches your heart as much as it did mine....

"I have to share with you a most wonderful moment. When all is still, in the dark of night, while laying on my left side, I can feel my heart beating. Not every night, just ones that become special. I try not to breathe too deeply, for fear my body will shift and the feeling of the heartbeat will go away. As I lay there, feeling this wonderful sensation, I send a prayer up to my donor, thanking her for her gift of life to me. The greatest feeling in the world is the heartbeat of life it self. Thank you for letting me share this."

After being home for 6 weeks (we've almost past our record...cross your fingers) and enjoying every second of it (even if it involves a "terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day"), I have reflected not only on the miracle that have taken place in our lives, but the beauty of this whole experience. I don't have the words to express all of my feelings, or the skill in writing and articulating all of the emotions that continually run through my brain, but the above statement eloquently describes (as they pertain to Beckham) what I have struggled to say for so long.

Once our lives calmed (or calming, since we are not there yet), I found myself once again sitting and holding Beckham with my hand placed on his heart, feeling every perfect, smooth, rhythmic heartbeat. As I do, I'm reminded of what Beck's previous heartbeat felt like before his transplant, (I actually had mistaken his pumping heart for severe chest congestion (like from a patient with horrible pneumonia) until his doctor corrected me and said that it was his heart fighting desperately to live) and I can't believe the difference. It is indescribable....to say the least. What a difference a perfect heart makes.

The only words I can add to the above authors is my own, in that this heart is at home in Beckham. We love this heart and we are taking care of it, for it is what gives our son life. A wonderful happy life. Here's the proof:





Quick update:
Beck is slowly being weened off of the steroids (hallelujah) and should be finished with them at the end of July. We have sure noticed a huge change in his behavior since we started the steroid taper, and are loving it! Beck's appetite has still not decreased, and the proof is that he weighed in at 33.5 lbs this week (10 lbs gain since we left the hospital). He is now in the 98th percent of weight for his age (he is usually in the 3rd). He really is a chunk...but a cute chunk.

We will not know the status of his levels until next week when we have our appointment in Iowa City. We are sure praying that they have continued to move in the right direction. Until them we hope that we will not have another update, except for 4th of July festivites. Here's hoping and praying!

Oh, and on the lines of praying, please keep our cute transplant friend Bryce (you will have to sign up for Carepages (it's free) to view his info: BryceDraisey) in your prayers. He is waiting for his second heart and is extremely ill.

Happy 4th of July to everyone out there.
-Beckham & Co.

12 comments:

Katrina said...

That was such a nice quote! Thanks for sharing everything and hopefully your cute boy will be doing good getting off the steroids!

Mimi said...

I totally read that on heart beats. What a sweetie. I get all the emails, but never participate :-) It seems pretty geared toward adults. We should start a baby/youth one.

OK- I love this kid. I love his steroid cheeks- LOVE THEM! I am sooo happy he will start the taper.

He looks so so happy and healthy. YAY Beck!

cici said...

awwwwwww those cheeks!!!!!
He is my favorite little man.
Thank you for telling us Bryce needs our prayers too.

xxoo

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness you guys can start to taper those steroids! Hopefully things will start to calm down for you then (well with two toddlers, maybe not!). Good luck with your appt. next week, too bad we're a day off otherwise we'd see ya there.

Your 'very bad day' was just that. You'll look back and laugh hysterically at it someday. Aaah, fond memories of a mommy :)

Have a great 4th of July!!

Heidi, Kevin & Ellie

Tiffany said...

You guys have great taste for your dance party music! :)

I'm so glad that he continues to do well, and continue to pray that he keeps heading in the right direction.

Love you guys!

Jenn said...

Kim, thats such a sweet post...I have been reading your blog for a while now and think you are such a strong amazing mom! I was also thinking when I was on the steroid how awful I felt all the time! So sad to have a little boy who cant explain how he is feeling! I was also thinking how much better I feel when Im eating... I can imagine he feels the same way! I am so glad things are starting to look brighter! I loved chatting with you the other day and hope your birthday is perfect cause you deserve it! love ya, Jenn

James and Jessica Ford said...

Just to let you know that we think and pray for you guys often. We love you, Jessie Ford

Hoggards said...

So fun! He is a cute chunk! :) I love that life in this picture looks so normal! Keep it up!

Me said...

It is such a beautiful sacred moment when you place your hand on their chest and feel their beautiful gift.

Can he possibly be any cuter. I just want to squeeze those cheeks!! I am so glad that you are breaking your record for being home. Praying that it will last a long long long time.

lexie said...

Good to see Beck walking around. Gwen is super cute-we need to see more pictures of her!

kdance said...

Kim, I called you to wish you a happy bday yesterday, but you must have been off having fun! Sorry I missed you, but I hope you got my message. I hope you had a great day!

I love this post. I'm so grateful for little Beckham and his perfect heart. I love him so much! I'm so grateful for your friendship, too. Man, I miss you like crazy!

Oh, and I love that Killers song! It's the best. Beck is the cutest little chunk I have ever seen! I only wish he had his shirt off for that video because I wanna see the cute belly! Oh, and please fill up his cup--the poor kid is desperate for a dang drink! Ha ha!

Unknown said...

Good luck at your next appointment.

The quote you shared is beautiful and says so eloquently what those of us who have been blessed by donor angels, wish we could say to them.

It's always such a bittersweet feeling, knowing that someone else's suffering results in such joy for another - but at the same time, the gift of life that a donor is able to give is just beyond comprehension. I don't know what our lives would have been like if we hadn't been so lucky.

Prayers to your friend Bryce. I hope he finds his donor soon.

S