Saturday, November 8, 2008
Update 11/8/08
We're home.....we're back in the hospital.....we're home.....and back in again....
The above says it all. On Thursday we were surprised when we were offered the option to be released from the U of I hospital. Naturally, Nate and I jumped at the chance (silly us) and we headed out. We arrived at home around 6:00 PM, and by 8:00 PM Beck was vomiting. After a couple of hours of this we called the Pediatric Neurologist on call at the U of I and he suggested that we go to the ER and get a CT scan. The CT scan showed that his brain bleed and clot are stable (whew) and that the edema around the bleed has lessened. We were released and went home to sleep in our beds.
Beck's home health nurse came the next day and when she weighed Beckham my heart sank. He now weighs a whopping 19.5 lbs. That is 3 1/2 lbs less than 6 weeks ago. Beckham looks so skinny. It breaks my heart!
Later that day, Beck started vomiting again and had 10-12 dirty diapers. His diapers were SO stinky. I am surprised that our house didn't rot because of the stench! After talking to Iowa City we all decided that Beck has to be back in the hospital on IV fluids. They are running all sorts of tests on him again and we will go from there.
We are grateful that we are at least back at the hospital in Des Moines and able to go home at certain times. I am hopeful to have Beck back in our home very soon. We are honestly all doing pretty well considering all of the events of the last 6 weeks. I am sure that it is because of your prayers. Thank you.
Just a quick shout out to my friend Heather (and the rest of her family) before I end this post. Heather lives in Iowa City and she has done so much for our family. I don't know how to thank her enough. We love you so much O'brien family. You are the best!
We will continue to keep you posted on anything.
-Kim, Nate, Gwen & Beckham
The above says it all. On Thursday we were surprised when we were offered the option to be released from the U of I hospital. Naturally, Nate and I jumped at the chance (silly us) and we headed out. We arrived at home around 6:00 PM, and by 8:00 PM Beck was vomiting. After a couple of hours of this we called the Pediatric Neurologist on call at the U of I and he suggested that we go to the ER and get a CT scan. The CT scan showed that his brain bleed and clot are stable (whew) and that the edema around the bleed has lessened. We were released and went home to sleep in our beds.
Beck's home health nurse came the next day and when she weighed Beckham my heart sank. He now weighs a whopping 19.5 lbs. That is 3 1/2 lbs less than 6 weeks ago. Beckham looks so skinny. It breaks my heart!
Later that day, Beck started vomiting again and had 10-12 dirty diapers. His diapers were SO stinky. I am surprised that our house didn't rot because of the stench! After talking to Iowa City we all decided that Beck has to be back in the hospital on IV fluids. They are running all sorts of tests on him again and we will go from there.
We are grateful that we are at least back at the hospital in Des Moines and able to go home at certain times. I am hopeful to have Beck back in our home very soon. We are honestly all doing pretty well considering all of the events of the last 6 weeks. I am sure that it is because of your prayers. Thank you.
Just a quick shout out to my friend Heather (and the rest of her family) before I end this post. Heather lives in Iowa City and she has done so much for our family. I don't know how to thank her enough. We love you so much O'brien family. You are the best!
We will continue to keep you posted on anything.
-Kim, Nate, Gwen & Beckham
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
I was so excited when I read the first two words of your post (we're home)...and then I read the rest. We're so sorry for all that your family continues to go through. We cannot even begin to imagine what this must be like for each of you. Please know that you continue to be in our prayers, and thank you for the updates...
I am pleased you did manage to get home even if it was for such a short time, I have everything crossed that you are all able to head home again real soon and that what ever Beckham has is not serious and can be treated quickly. Thinking of you all, as always Xxx
I'm glad to hear you are at least closer to home. I'm hoping Beckham feels better soon and you can all cuddle on the couch at home...where you belong.
I think poor Beckham has gotten confused over the past couple of weeks, and now thinks the hospital is his home!? Really Beckham, home is so much more fun than the hospital! Poor Beckham (and mom and dad!)...I'm happy the bleeds are stable, and now hopefully this is a quick GI thing (though Beckham never got the msg that some things are meant to be quick!) Take care Nate and Kim, still praying for all of you!
Carrie, Blank PICU
Kim- I cannot believe the roller coaster you guys have been through with your little guy. I keep you in my prayers! I hope that you are able to figure out what is going on with him and that he improves. You amaze me with your continued positive attitude! May the Lord bless you and your family...
Oh, man! You're poor nerves, Kim! Well, I am so glad that you at least get to be back in DSM. How's my sweet Beckham tonight? I hope that he's feeling better after a yucky couple of barfy days again. Little sweetheart! I wish I could take his nausea away and be the one throwing up for him (and you know how I feel about throwing up!). I always smile when I pull up your blog and see the cute pic of him with the U hat one in his COSTCO jammies. It's so him--still a little ray of sunshine in the middle of all the craziness.
I am sorry that Beck is back in the hospital but glad that it is back in your home town so you can sleep in your own bed every once in a while. We will keep praying that they can fix whatever it is!
Well, things SOUND better today than in previous posts. So I am hoping the prayers are working! Let me know if there is anything I can do from afar!
So glad you guys are home! And I'm so glad you had Heather to help you in IC. Please let me know if you need any help with little Gwen.
Oh no! I am so sorry that you are back and those stinky diapers, I don't need to say more. I am glad however that his clots are stable. We will keep Beckham in our prayers. Keep hanging on!!! We have some pretty tough kids.
Wow! I am so glad that you are at least closer to home. What a mess! Poor little guy! Poor Mommy, Daddy, and sister! You guys are all going through the ringer! I hope they find an answer soon.
Kim, I love you! You will all be in my prayers!
Post a Comment