Sunday, November 16, 2008

Update 11/16/08

We're sorry for the lack of posts these last couple of days. We were waiting until we had more news to share. Unfortunately, not much has changed.

We are still here at the U of I hospital. Beck's test results have started to come back (he has literally had hundreds of tests run) and each one has been negative. We never thought that it would be frustrating to get a negative result on a test, but it is! We still have no idea what is wrong with our little guy. The biopsy's that they took from his colon have also come back negative for bacteria and virus. He still has the bleeding sores in his colon, but he is no longer passing large clots of blood in his stool. They are now only streaked with blood, and some have no blood at all (this is a good sign). Because of this Beckham has been allowed to eat again. His diarrhea has lessened some and he has not vomited since he was transferred to this hospital. If his diarrhea continues with blood then they will do an endoscopy on Monday. He will have to be put completely under for this procedure.

Some great news is that Beckham's clots are shrinking. They used a dopler to check the spots where he has clots in his leg, neck and arm and only his neck still has a clot. The clot in his neck is shrinking though. They have not taken another look at his brain, but they do not feel that is necessary at this point because he is acting so well.

We have been told that we will probably never know what is has been ailing Beckham (not very comforting). They think that whatever has been raging inside his body for the last couple of months will clear up on it's own (eventually). Beckham is acting like his happy self. He is eating, drinking, and playing non stop. He even had enough energy yesterday to take a step from Nate to my arms. He is definatly weakend and it will take some time for him to regain his strength. We are hoping to be able to take him home soon. We sure miss our Gwen and hope to have her back in our home soon also.

Thank you for your continued prayers for our little guy, his doctors, and for the rest of us. We have truly felt the power for them. We hope to update the blog again soon with anything other than blood clots, puke, and poop. Soon!

-Beck and family

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm soooooo happy to hear good news! I know it's hard to not know what's going on and not have answers to everything, but in the end all that matters is that he's healing and getting back to himself!! Yeah!!! :)
Carrie, BLANK PICU

Kaycee said...

Little steps at a time... so glad to hear some positives! There are SO MANY people praying for Beckham and your family. I get people who read my blog and link to yours who now keep up with your updates! I have several friends who ask how you're doing and tell me to tell you all good luck and you are in their prayers! As always, you are in mine!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness!! It's been a while since I've checked up on you guys. Poor little Beckham! I'm sure you guys are about to go crazy with everything. It is good to hear he is starting to act like himself again. If we can do anything to help, let us know- Cedar Rapids is not far. Beckham is always in our prayers but will be in them for a double dose so that he is feeling better soon and the doctor can figure out what's going on.

Heidi, Kevin & Ellie Schmidt

The Simmons Family said...

Such a relief to know that he is feeling better and acting more like himself. It's always crappy to just hear "we may never know what caused your son to get sick"... blah! I also get discouraged after SO many negative tests... it would be nice to pinpoint the issue, treat it and go home.

Sounds like the way things are going, you should be home soon... hopefully in time for Thanksgiving!!??

Andrea

mary said...

Who could want to hear more than blood clots, puke, and poop? We are definitely praying for you guys, and it is great news that the clots are shrinking. You have all been through so much recently, so hopefully the worst is over!

Andrea said...

YAY for a little bit of "good" news. And SO glad to hear that Beckham is back to his happy little self again. Love you guys :)

Rob said...

Still praying for you guys.

Rob

Mitzi said...

It is so glad to hear that things are at least looking up! We wish we were closer. Hopefully things continue in that direction. We miss you guys!

Kaidence's Mommy said...

I am so happy that he is (as the docs say) "clinicaly" looking good. I understand the frusteration of not knowing what caused something. WE feel that way with Kaidence and her sudden onset of cardiomyopathy which led to her heart transplant. WE tested everything viral and genetic. They say that we will most likely never know. Most likely true since she became ill at 5 months and is know 21 months. Sometimes it drives me crazy but then maybe it is better if I don't know. I just figure it is all part of the plan, somehow. We will keep praying for your family and the doctors. I hope you can come H--- soon. (you know as well as I do that you never say that word out loud).

Laken said...

I guess no news is good news! I am sure hoping so!

Niki Carter said...

Well, I guess that it is good that they think it will clear up on its own eventually. In the meantime, you should take comfort in the negative tests, even though it is frustrating! It is amazing to me that his little body is capable of handling so much! The human body is amazing!