Wednesday, March 12, 2008
Update 3/12/08
I had a feeling that I should have waited to publish my last post because I just knew that things were going to change. I was right.
Beck's ear infection did not heal as quickly as we had hoped . By Wednesday of last week it was oozing so badly that you could not even see the inside of his ear canal. By Friday, his ear was hurting him so badly that we could not touch the outside or anywhere near his ear. He would scream every time he ate and every time we tried to rock him to sleep. I again took him in to the doctor and he quickly decided that his ear infection was much worse and he needed a stronger antibiotic...actually 2 stronger antibiotics. I was also instructed that if it got any worse over the weekend that I needed to immediately call his transplant and pediatric doctors. Beckham was up most of the night on Saturday and by Sunday he was beside himself in pain. After talking to the doctors we decided to give it one more day on the new antibiotics before taking more extreme measures. By Monday his ear looked slightly better (after I cleaned some of the built up gunk out of the outside of his ear) but after talking to the transplant team we decided to get his ear cultured to be on the safe side. I took him back into the doctor and they cultured his ear and they also decided that his ear infection was an outer ear infection. We are still waiting on the result of the ear culture. However we did get the results of another test and Beckham tested positive for CMV again. Darn it, darn it, darn it!!! He is now back on the Valcyte. I hate this medicine. It is so hard on his GI tract. There is no chance of him being without a diaper rash/open sores for a long time. Other then all of the above, Beck is doing great. He has lost a little weight because it hurt his ear every time he ate, but I am sure he will gain it back in no time. Beckham seems so healthy and strong that I tend to forget that he is immuno suppressed and every time he gets an illness it will be worse for him than other babies his age.
The rest of us are all doing great....for the most part. Gwen woke up on Sunday night with a smoking hot fever and then I woke up the next day with a wonderful cold. It is crazy how we can still get sick when we have almost no contact with the outside world. But we did visit the doctors office three times in one week and that is the best place to pick something up. That's alright. We will all be fine. Actually the weather has been nice the past two days and Nate and I have been able to take the kids on walks.
We hope that all is well in your homes and that you are also experiencing great weather. We are going to take advantage of it while it lasts! Have a great week.
Kim, Nate, Gwen, & Beck
Beck's ear infection did not heal as quickly as we had hoped . By Wednesday of last week it was oozing so badly that you could not even see the inside of his ear canal. By Friday, his ear was hurting him so badly that we could not touch the outside or anywhere near his ear. He would scream every time he ate and every time we tried to rock him to sleep. I again took him in to the doctor and he quickly decided that his ear infection was much worse and he needed a stronger antibiotic...actually 2 stronger antibiotics. I was also instructed that if it got any worse over the weekend that I needed to immediately call his transplant and pediatric doctors. Beckham was up most of the night on Saturday and by Sunday he was beside himself in pain. After talking to the doctors we decided to give it one more day on the new antibiotics before taking more extreme measures. By Monday his ear looked slightly better (after I cleaned some of the built up gunk out of the outside of his ear) but after talking to the transplant team we decided to get his ear cultured to be on the safe side. I took him back into the doctor and they cultured his ear and they also decided that his ear infection was an outer ear infection. We are still waiting on the result of the ear culture. However we did get the results of another test and Beckham tested positive for CMV again. Darn it, darn it, darn it!!! He is now back on the Valcyte. I hate this medicine. It is so hard on his GI tract. There is no chance of him being without a diaper rash/open sores for a long time. Other then all of the above, Beck is doing great. He has lost a little weight because it hurt his ear every time he ate, but I am sure he will gain it back in no time. Beckham seems so healthy and strong that I tend to forget that he is immuno suppressed and every time he gets an illness it will be worse for him than other babies his age.
The rest of us are all doing great....for the most part. Gwen woke up on Sunday night with a smoking hot fever and then I woke up the next day with a wonderful cold. It is crazy how we can still get sick when we have almost no contact with the outside world. But we did visit the doctors office three times in one week and that is the best place to pick something up. That's alright. We will all be fine. Actually the weather has been nice the past two days and Nate and I have been able to take the kids on walks.
We hope that all is well in your homes and that you are also experiencing great weather. We are going to take advantage of it while it lasts! Have a great week.
Kim, Nate, Gwen, & Beck
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Oh sweet little Beckham. It is always so hard to see them in such pain. We had that same fever roving our house the last week. Hallelujah for warmer weather. Hope Beckham starts feeling better very soon.
CMV again? You have got to be kidding me? Man, that stinks. I hope his ear is getting better though.
I also hope you are coming to Utah for a visit real soon!
I hate ear infections!! poor Beck. I hope his culture comes back okay. I wish you were closer so I could help. Kim, you are such an amazing mom, your kids a lucky. Random question, how is John doing?
That stinks Kim! I hope that he'll start feeling better soon. Avery's eardrum has ruptured three times. It is awful and so painful for them. I'm so sad to hear about his trouble. I hope he gets better.
Poor kid! Ear aches are the worst because they are just almost delirious with pain. I was so glad to see your post on our blog, we lost all our friend blog addresses and haven't been able to check up. Sounds like Beck is doing well overall, what a miracle he is! We hope you guys are doing great! We would love if we could see you sometime. Tell us how it might work for you and we will figure something out.
Post a Comment