Saturday, September 25, 2010
A full plate
I don't like to use the term "full plate" very often, letting others know that I am feeling overwhelmed and extremely frazzled. But, in all honesty, I can't think of a better term to sum up my current state of mind and being. Now don't get me wrong, I know that our Heavenly Father does not give us more than we can handle, and I absolutely know how blessed our family has been, but I'm just saying that right now things are a little...umm...crazy, and I could sure use a breather or two.
With moving to a new town (we still have boxes everywhere), Beck's constant GI tract ups and downs (well, I should say downs because that is the direction all of his pukes and poops go), his unknown cause of what is happening inside his body, Nate's huge graduate school work load, his crazy work schedule (he is working in both Des Moines and Iowa City because he has to work in Des Moines until his insurance kicks in at his new job here), me being 7 months pregnant, Gwen being tugged back and forth between everything (she is amazing through it all!), and on and on and on, we were definitely feeling the pull and pressure of everything. But now, something new has been added, giving us that nudge into the "full plate" zone. I have hesitated about sharing this with the "blogging world," mainly because I am a pretty private person when it comes to my own health, but I know that I have many friends and family out there that would be a little perturbed if I left them in the dark. So, with that said, here goes.
About 3 weeks ago, I found a lump in my neck. It was large enough that it could be seen with the naked eye and it was hard to the touch. After finding it, I immediately found a doctor (we still did not have a family doctor because of just moving here) and made an appointment. Once there, the doctor felt the lump and sent me for labs and scheduled an ultrasound. The labs came back showing that I have Hypothyroidism, and the ultrasound showed that I not only have one lump, but multiple nodules on my thyroid. The small nodules are not overly concerning because 60% of the population have nodules on their thyroid, but the large one was very concerning, so a biopsy was scheduled. After the biopsy (which was surprisingly painful to have a needle jabbed into your neck over and over again), my results showed that my lump is a tumor, a carcinoma, but whether it is cancerous could not be determined. What was determined is that it HAS to come out ASAP, and this is not the best scenario with me being pregnant and having a life inside me that lives off my body. But after visiting with my OB yesterday, it was determined that this is a "must" situation, and it is worth the risks to the baby (which they think will be very small) and myself. One ironic thing is that for both the ultrasound and the biopsy, I was already in the hospital with Beck. So instead of having to drive downtown, I only had to walk across the hall. Nice (ha ha).
The surgery is scheduled for next week, and the results of whether the tumor is cancerous will be determined once it is removed. So, basically, that is where we are at. And to say that I am not frightened would be a HUGE understatement. If you could send a few prayers this way (not only for myself, but for all of us) they would sure be appreciated.
Thanks, and lots of love!
-Kim
With moving to a new town (we still have boxes everywhere), Beck's constant GI tract ups and downs (well, I should say downs because that is the direction all of his pukes and poops go), his unknown cause of what is happening inside his body, Nate's huge graduate school work load, his crazy work schedule (he is working in both Des Moines and Iowa City because he has to work in Des Moines until his insurance kicks in at his new job here), me being 7 months pregnant, Gwen being tugged back and forth between everything (she is amazing through it all!), and on and on and on, we were definitely feeling the pull and pressure of everything. But now, something new has been added, giving us that nudge into the "full plate" zone. I have hesitated about sharing this with the "blogging world," mainly because I am a pretty private person when it comes to my own health, but I know that I have many friends and family out there that would be a little perturbed if I left them in the dark. So, with that said, here goes.
About 3 weeks ago, I found a lump in my neck. It was large enough that it could be seen with the naked eye and it was hard to the touch. After finding it, I immediately found a doctor (we still did not have a family doctor because of just moving here) and made an appointment. Once there, the doctor felt the lump and sent me for labs and scheduled an ultrasound. The labs came back showing that I have Hypothyroidism, and the ultrasound showed that I not only have one lump, but multiple nodules on my thyroid. The small nodules are not overly concerning because 60% of the population have nodules on their thyroid, but the large one was very concerning, so a biopsy was scheduled. After the biopsy (which was surprisingly painful to have a needle jabbed into your neck over and over again), my results showed that my lump is a tumor, a carcinoma, but whether it is cancerous could not be determined. What was determined is that it HAS to come out ASAP, and this is not the best scenario with me being pregnant and having a life inside me that lives off my body. But after visiting with my OB yesterday, it was determined that this is a "must" situation, and it is worth the risks to the baby (which they think will be very small) and myself. One ironic thing is that for both the ultrasound and the biopsy, I was already in the hospital with Beck. So instead of having to drive downtown, I only had to walk across the hall. Nice (ha ha).
The surgery is scheduled for next week, and the results of whether the tumor is cancerous will be determined once it is removed. So, basically, that is where we are at. And to say that I am not frightened would be a HUGE understatement. If you could send a few prayers this way (not only for myself, but for all of us) they would sure be appreciated.
Thanks, and lots of love!
-Kim
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
36 comments:
First, I want to apologize for not checkin in lately. Congrats on the new addition! I'm so happy for you all! We are expecting Baby Boy Spencer the end of October.
Second, we will be praying for you Kim. I know how scary this must be for you. Last October I too found a large lump on my neck. It was questionable whether it was cancer and had to be removed. However, I did not have the added scariness of being pregnant at the time. Luckily, my turned out not to be cancer. We will pray the same goes for you. Take Care!
The Spencers
www.oliviakathrynfayespencer.blogspot.com
carepages.com searched oliviakathrynfaye
Oh my. A full plate might be a bit of an understatement! I would call this a thanksgiving platter full and overflowing with all of the stresses you have been dealing with! We will most definitely pray for you guys and hope that this can be resolved quickly with no affect to your baby!!
Oh Kimmy!
Sending our thoughts and prayers your way. I can`t believe that you are being faced with another trial with all you have to handle already. Please know that we love you all and think of you often. Wish we were closer to help you! Keep thinking positive thoughts we sure will be.
Love ya!
Barb, Glen, Brianna & Austin
Kim, you are loved. You and your family are in our prayers. I cannot even being to understand all the feelings you must be having. I pray things will resolve quickly and all is found to be "okay". Blessings and Love.
Kim- seriously what can I do? I have 4 weeks till this baby comes. Do you want me to take Gwen for a couple days? Nate could always bring her down here or I could come get her. Do you need frozen meals? You are definitely in our prayers. Please call or email jdcps@hotmail.com or something. I can do whatever! Love ya!
Tears are just falling as I read this. I read it to bret and we are both crying...frustrated that we can't be there to help, with your situation and wondering when it's all going to stop for you guys! I know the Lord doesn't give you anything you can't handle...apparently you can handle ANYTHING!
Please email me when you go in for the procedure since we would like to fast for you and your family on that day.
there isn't a day that goes by that we dont pray for you guys. We love you!
KIMMY! I haven't checked the blog for a few days and now I feel awful! I am so sorry about the "load" you've been dealing with. You are so amazing to have such a positive attitude! Man, you guys have been through the fire! We will continue to pray for you and the baby and Beckham and... well, the whole family. Everything will be fine! Love you! If there is anything you need sent to you from Utah PLEASE don't hesitate to ask!!
Dear Kim,
I feel in my heart that Pregnancy hormones have made that one lump grow bigger than the rest. My sister in-law had a similar situation found right after her Pregnancy.
She is fine and that was over 40 years ago.
My Prayers are always with Beckham and now you and his little sibling will be Prayed for. You have friends you don't even know you have :){{{{{Big Hug}}}}}}}
I am so sorry to hear this. You have had a trying few years. Do you have help? Do you need me to drive to your home and take care to you, Beckham, and the baby? I am only a email away. Love you!
So sorry your plate is full. I wish again that we were there to help. I will be praying for you and your family. I can't remember if you have said what you are having or not.
Wow, Kim. You are in our thoughts and prayers. Hope it all goes well.
I think about you all the time. I want you to know you and your sweet family are constantly in our prayers. I wish there was something I could do from Utah, I feel so helpless. Good luck with everything. We will be waiting to hear. Hang in there!
We will be keeping you in our prayers Kim...Please let us know if we can do anything. McKate sure misses Gwon! (That is what Gwen called Kate and McKay both, and what Kate and McKay called Gwen!)
I cannot believe it. I am so sorry to hear. We will be praying for you and I will include you in our fast tomorrow.
If you guys ever need a place to stay on your way back and forth we just live in Ankeny and you are more than welcome any time.
I don't know if you still have my email from aerobics but here it is just in case allispjut@yahoo.com
Oh Kim! Just when I thought you couldn't amaze me more...you somehow seem to stay so positive and I'm constantly amazed. You and your family will DEFINITELY be in my prayers. I will pray that all goes well and that the Lord will continue to give you strength. Big hugs!
I don't even know what to say!!!! Kim! AAAHHHH!! I just want to come and give the the week off. You need a break! I will be praying for you. (DOn't let cancer scare you, lots of people have great outcomes and leave it behind them:)
We will be sending prayers your way, I think you are amazing... every time you blog I can't get over how strong you are. I wish we could do more...but fasting and prayers we will be doing for sure! Keep it up Kim! You are strong and can do this!
Kim, I'm so sorry you have to go through all of this!!! Your the strongest woman I know!! We'll be praying for you!!
Oh my goodness!!!! I'm so sad to hear this..but so glad you are taking care of this!! About nine years ago I found a lump in my breast and denied it for several, several months...luckily it was removed and benign!! I'm sending prayers your way for you, the unborn baby..(gender??) and Beckham, Gwen, and Nate!! love you guys!!
Oh Kim! I haven't stopped crying yet. I'm so sorry that you and your family have to go through all of this. I completely agree with Erica, you must be able to handle anything.
I wish I was there to help clear your plate. I wish I could be there to hold your hand. I think about you every day. You can bet we will be praying for you. Please email me when you go in, Doug and I would really like to fast for you.
You know you can call me whenever you need someone. I LOVE YOU!
I'm always checking in on you and Beckham and I'm so sad to read this. I too have hypothyroidism with nodules and lumps all the time and recently Hashimotos, none of which has been cancerous. But I can't imagine what you're going through with being pregnant on top of it. You seriously inspire me to deal with everything in our lives when I read about your faith and strength throughout all your trials. I'll be praying for you and your baby and Beckham.
Oh Kim. I'm so sorry. Seriously, my heart aches for you. I wish I was still there to help out. You are all in our thoughts and prayers. Love you guys.
Your family is always in our prayers but we will be say some extras for you! A full plate sounds like an understatement to me. If there is anything I can do to help, seriously (I REALLY mean it) let me know. Do you need a sitter while you are in for your procedure? I could come to your house. I even clean puke....so use to that. Please, please call or e-mail anytime you need a sanity break or want to go get groceries by yourself, take a nap without being bothered...whatever. We're home pretty much all the time.
Home: 319-265-1489
Cell: 319-360-0656
Hope to see you soon. Sending lots of prayers for all of you.
The Schmidt's
Ok, first let me pick my jaw up off the floor. Haven't you guys met some sort of quota by this point. Wow. Secondly, I'm sorry that I've been a blog-stalker without leaving comments for such a long time. And lastly, please know that you'll all be in our prayers. I have such admiration for the way that you face your challenges, but I also know that doesn't mean it's easy. I'm so sorry. Please keep us all (even the unfaithful comment leavers) updated on things...
Oh Kim! Like everyone else, I'm crying and wishing I could take some of that load off your plate. Hang in there. I'll be praying my guts out for all of you.
Anyone out there reminded of Job and his wife, Jobette? :) or ever heard the phrase 'refiners fire' while looking at a picture of Nate and Kim? Sure will be awesome to see your future since you've faced so many challenges in your young married life! Kim and Nate, you are amazing. You two could write the book on life being difficult while remaining somewhat sane and finding joy. Thanks for getting personal. None of us in Utah can help except by knowing what you are going through and praying for your family. Hugs!
Oh my goodness Kim! I'm so sorry! We are praying for you! Good luck with the surgery!
WOW WOW WOW!! Chalk another one up...you are amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish that I could come and help you in some way!!
Full plate INDEED! Wow!! I am so sorry that you are going through yet another scare in your family...this time involving you and the baby. Saying many, many, many prayers for NO CANCER, NO complications from the surgery to the baby and for GOOD health for all!!! Hang in there!!!
All our prayers. (Found your blog through Andres' facebook post, hope you don't mind, but figure you'll take extra prayers. :) )
Unbelievable! I am in shock and completely speechless! First of all, I am so sorry for not staying in touch better! I didn't even know you were pregnant... congrats!! Kim, oh dearest, sweetest, funniest little Kim! My heart is so full right now and just aching for you and all that you are facing at this time and each and every single day of your life. I wish that I could wrap my arms around you in love and help ease the heavy load placed upon you! But, you already know there is One that can... go to Him as you have time and time again. He most certainly has great love and trust in you! My tears won't stop. I love you so, so much Kim! You will never know the lives you have touched! You and your precious family will be in my prayers.
Sweet Kim! I'm so sorry you have to go through this! You are most definitely in my prayers! Stay strong, sweetie, and keep us all updated! You've got a lot of people that love you and your sweet family!
Oh Kim, I am praying, I am so sorry you are having to go through all this, Yes you have a full plate, but I can tell you, you have people covering that plat with prayers...BIG HUGS and LOVE TO YOU ALL! Waiting on a GOOD REPORT! Expecting and Believing!
Hug to Beck and Gwen..
RHonda
Love and prayers coming your way from your North Carolina family, Kim. Take good care of yourself and let us hear how you are!
I am so sorry Kim.....your family is so precious. I will continue praying for you guys. Remember that if anyone can get through this, you can. You have such a network of loving and supporting friends and family through Beck. Keep us updated if possible.
Post a Comment