In less than two weeks we will travel as a family to Madison, WI, where Beckham will compete (well, kiddie compete) in the Transplant Olympic Games, and where we will, for the first time, come face to face with the donor family of Beckham's heart, the Campbell's.
About a month ago I was able to speak to Holly - the donor mom of Beckham's heart - for the first time on the phone. I don't have the proper words to say how amazing and neat our conversation was, so the best word that I can use to describe it is "special." And boy was it special! Most of the conversation was filled with tears, which was to be expected (we are females!), but the best part was that Beckham was able to get on the phone and say a happy "hi Ha-wee (Holly)," and "hi Handy (Andy)," to both of the donor parents. It was awesome, to say the least!
Holly has been chosen to sing at the Opening Ceremonies for the Transplant Olympic Games, where they would like Beckham to be on stage while she does so (talk about a HUGE tear jerker). The song she has chosen is the last song that she sang to Jake before he was taken to give his precious life saving gifts, and a song that I used to sing to Beckham right after his transplant to comfort him through his pain episodes and drug withdrawals (we did not know before that we sang the same song to our sons). Please view the link to her video submission below. I hope it touches your heart as much as it has touched ours.
We can't wait to meet you, Campbell's! And while we know this is only the beginning of our personal meetings, I have come to a complete knowledge that our little family is so blessed and so changed to have your family as part of our lives, not only because you gave us the precious gift of Jake's heart that beats so strong in Beck's chest, but because you have given us a complete view of what this life is all about - love, endurance, acceptance, patience, and joy.
14 comments:
Okay....stop it!! I had to hold up my laptop to see so I could read because of the tears streaming down my face! What a beautiful coincidence that you both sang the same song to the same heart within hours of each other!!! So, so neat that you've talked with and will be able to meet the donor family...aren't they usually anonymous? What a huge blessing for both families!!! If it were me...the opening ceremonies song with be me just crying...oh, the emotions!! Can't wait to hear about it..you'll video it right?
Kim, That is so Amazing. So Precious. I have cold chills and tears flying. It just goes to show you that God had a plan and he had a purpose for greatness for both of these precious boys. This was such a Blessing just viewing this video. Thanks for sharing.
Love and Hugs,
Rhonda
I think my husband is going to ban me from blogs pretty soon cause every time I have been "blogging" I end up sobbing uncontrollably. As always I am so touched by your family and the Campbell's. Both of your "stories" are amazing, and proof that God truly is aware of each of us and loves us. What an amazing experience awaits you. I can't believe that you both sang the same song, what a beautiful tender mercy.
Kim, you write so beautifully. We cannot wait until we can give all of you hugs, especially Beckham (don't take it personally, but he's sort of the star of this whole thing). :) How, how in the world am I going to be able to sing that song with all those people and Beckham there, too? In a recording studio was one thing, but this... Oh well. I'll bring kleenex! We love you guys and can't wait to be able to tell you so in person. Only 12 days to go!
What a 'precious' angel baby who came to earth to give the greatest gift of life. The family is amazing and I feel the presence of God just watching this video.
Beckham has always had a special place in my heart, but now it is even more special.
Sending love to all of you!
So amazing. I can't believe you sang the same song. Jake is so gorgeous, I LOVE is smile. What an incredible experience to meet each other, I can't wait to hear about it.
Beautiful!! I had goosebumps reading this update. I think it is amazing that you have been able to be in contact with the donor family. I am sure it is a wonderful feeling seeing that their child lives on in your little boy. {{{HUG}}}
Talk about tears! I still have them streaming down my face. What an amazing family to have shared a special part of their boy with you. I hope your meeting is everything you dream it will be. I love you guys!
Oh my gosh, TEARS! So crazy because a good friend of our family (my age) took his life a couple weeks ago. I told my mom how you loved "For Good" and how it reminded you of your good friend who died, so we decided to sing it together for the funeral. I ended up not being able to stay, so my little sister sang it with her. Needless to say, it was a tear jerker. HOw awesome you get to meet this family! Holy cow, so awesome. I hope you're able to get the song on video and post it!!
Amazing video! Your story is so touching. I am so glad that you are hanging in there with everything you have going on! How are you feeling? Take lots of pictures and post them when you get back. I think of you often and am grateful that you update often so we can keep track of your cute family!
What a tear jerker! This is an amazing story! I wish you all well and have fun!!
Sorry I don't know what i am doing. That last post was from me alyse scadlock
I don't think my heart can take posts like this one! Kim, give Holly a big hug from me- a fellow mom of a heart recipient. I wish I could be there and hug her as well. What a day that wil be for both of you... just amazing!
maybe in a few years we will join you at at the event.
Definitely a tear jerker. Best wishes on the big day. I hope you can all make it through it without a huge cry headache.
Post a Comment