Friday, May 21, 2010

Rituxin update

Snapped this on the way home from the hospital. He was chewing on the straw beforehand and then fell asleep.
Love it!


Sorry to keep everyone hanging and not updating until now. Beckham's Rituxin infusion went fairly well, with only moderate reactions to the med. When he received the infusion last year he reacted to the drug with violent shaking, increased heart rate, and a high fever. This time around he seemed to do great until they turned up the infusion rate, at which time his heart rate spiked super high and he turned over and vomited all over the bed (and me). They quickly turned the rate back down and Beck did great after that. He actually did so well that we made it home on the night of the infusion! Beck was scheduled to stay for at least 24 hours, but as the night rolled around, there was no reason to keep us there when he was doing so great! Love it!

The hard part now is waiting for results. With the treatment last year we could view his results with labs - platelets rising, hemoglobin rising -, but this time, Beck, already has normal levels, and we will just have to watch him physically for less bruising. BOO! 3 more Rituxin treatments are planned in the next three weeks (every Tuesday for a month) with the possibility of an IVIG treatment thrown in there. We are hoping to do all of this as an outpatient, and in Des Moines.

Just a couple of pics to show the effects of this disease:
I snapped this of his legs while on our daily walk. This only shows a portion of his legs, and trust me, they look much worse on the other sides!


Not very clear (how do you get a 2 year old to hold still for a pic?), but it shows when he burst an entire blood vessel in his head.

All of these Rituxin treatments will severally immuno supress our little guy, which means LOCK DOWN! Yeah (ha ha)! Truthfully, this is nothing new to us, but I was loving the fact that I could take Beck to the store and to church, and that we were hoping for a vacation to visit family and to meet the donor family at the Transplant Games. Big bummer. Oh well. There's always next year! And, who knows, maybe our Beckham with surprise us and do really well this time around. Here's to hoping and praying!

-Beckham & Co.

10 comments:

J and C said...

kim- you have such a great attitude! I am hoping and praying for you all too.

cici said...

add me to the hoping and praying list.
XX00

Patrick and Krystine said...

I hope everything goes well! You are one stong woman!

Holly said...

We will be thinking of Beck and hoping this does the trick! Glad that he did better with the treatment this time around. We will miss the opportunity to see you at the games but Beck's health is so much more important! Just knowing what a happy wonderful boy he is enough, and you will all be in our thoughts for the games!! Love to all of you!!

RHONDA said...

So glad he did well during the treatment..that pic is Priceless! I see those pics of all those bruises, but you know what I see?? I see God's Beautiful Masterpiece! God is with him every step of this journey and Beck is such a fighter and an inspiration to us all. I am praying Kim and watching and waiting, God will show up when we least expect it and calm the storm. I wish I lived near you ..I would show up on your doorstep when you were on lockdown and bring you dinner...SO anyone who lives near her..Please do something like that for her. We can never imagine what she goes through daily and keeps her head up and being positive!! Hugs to You Kim... Also, Send me via email your address..I would like to send something to Beck..
Love and Prayers,
Rhonda
webe4jesus@att.net

Natalie said...

I'm praying for you Kim. He is a blessed boy to have such a wonderful beautiful mother. Little did we imagine all those years ago running as carefree teenagers what awaited us :) Life is unexpected and the only thing for us to do is suck the joy out of it :) You are amazing!

Heidi Schmidt said...

You always have the funniest pics (the one with the straw of course)! Poor little Beck, hopefully the bruising will stop or go down soon. Great news that you got to go home after treatment. Outpatient sounds awesome. Thinking of you often and praying.

Heidi, Kevin, Ellie & Baby Girl

kdance said...

Oh, man! That poor, bruised little guy! I was looking at all the bruises on Evan's legs the other day--no idea where they all came from (I promise I don't beat my child!). But, I have to say that Beck's bruises beat Evan out. His poor little noggin!! I hope the treatment does the trick for him. Sad that you won't get to come visit family :( I really want to see you one of these days.

Stefenie said...

Wow those are some awful bruises. Poor guy!! I love the picture of him falling asleep with the straw in his mouth. Too cute!!

Saying many prayers for the treatments to work and continue going well for Beck!

Florence said...


I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!