Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Update 4/8/09

On Monday we were given the news that Beckham's platelets had risen a small amount to 6. This was not overly good news, but we'll take what we can get. Because of this, his Rituxin dose was once again canceled and labs were planned again for Thursday.

Beck woke up early yesterday morning, with his face covered in crusted blood (not an abnormal event right now unfortunately) and I reached for him and headed downstairs to clean his face, get his meds, and wait until he could eat breakfast (he has to wait a half hour after meds to eat). As we finally sat down for breakfast I pondered over my "clinically healthy"," but "serverally ill" child. It has been over a month and three treatments later and his platelets are lower than he begin with. Beckham, who acts perfectly well (despite his bruised appearance), is still very ill and unstable, with no end in site. It is hard not to feel that our lives are back to normal with being home, but then I look at my helmet head and remember that he is supposed to be in the hospital, not at home eating cereal and making me laugh. I had to quickly grab my camera and take a video of our little guy just to document how fun and normal he acts.



As the afternoon wore on, Beck's lip started to bleed. Again, this is not an abnormal event (even a small cracker seems to cut his mouth open), but this time I could not seem to get the bleeding under control. After 1, 2, and 3 hours of bleeding (active bleeding), I decided that something had to be done and I called his HH nurse, who advised me to take him to the ER for a dose of platelets - which his body will just eat up, but they will give him just enough boost to stop his bleeding. I went to grab Beck and found him sound asleep on Gwen.

SO CUTE! What was even more cute was the fact that Gwen was allowing this.

I rushed Gwen to a friends house and then Beck and I made our way to the ER, where we were immediately rushed back (thanks to the fact the EVERYONE knows Beckham in the ER) to a room. By this time Beck's lip had magically stopped bleeding (seriously, go figure!), resulting in me feeling stupid for bringing him into the ER in the first place (the doctors told me that I should not feel stuipid because Beckham is truly sick and needs to be in the hospital). Labs were then taken (luckily he has his PICC line so he did not need to get poked) and tests were run, showing that his platelets had dropped down to 1. This was not a huge shocker given his extra bruised, petechiae covered body, and his endless bleeding from his mouth (the nose is taking a break from bleeding right now...how thoughtful!). And after a couple of hours and some smooth talking on my part - convincing them that even though he needs to be in the hospital he is just as safe at home - we were able to go home.

It looks like labs will be drawn again on Thursday and then we will make the trip to Iowa City on Tuesday for Rituxin. I can't see anyway of avoiding this medication now, because dispite the risk it poses for him, the fact remains that he needs it. We'll do what's best for Beck.

10 comments:

LD said...

Kim, you make me laugh and cry at the same time! Poor Beck, it breaks my heart to see the pictures of him. I don't ever want to take being healthy for granted!! We love you!!

The Simmons Family said...

You're amazing! I think the unknown is the hardest.. no end in sight. Beckham does act and look absolutely "healthy". It's aweful that I don't even know the side effects of rituxin. I'm to a point where I don't research it anymore. Owen needs it, so we give it.

We continue to pray for Beckham and your sanity! Who'd have ever thought they'd know our names when we walked into the ER?!

Laken said...

DANG! I hate this!! I pray the God heals Beckham soon! That poor little guy.... Thinking of you all, as always, and still praying!

lexie said...

Your kids are so dang cute. It makes me smile to see Beck acting like any other 1 year old! He is so stinking cute! I can't believe he leaves that hat on! Aiden would have that thing off in no time!

geri said...

Kim, as always you amaze me. Please know your fam is always in our thoughts :)

PS- love Gwen's shoes!

Niki Carter said...

amazing. I see what you mean about Beckham seeming "normal." It is truly a gift though. When Rachel responded so well through all of her surgeries and apointments I think it is the only thing that kept me sane. The moment that she got upset I went through the roof. You have to be able to take a breather. I think it is good for you to feel "normal" even if it's not. You do have to take what you can get. You guys are doing such an amazing job of fighting for him. Hopefully, one day you will look back at this as ancient history.

The Chiltons said...

Darn! I keep hoping that I will check in and it will be taking a sharp turn in the right direction!

Ok so on a not as important subject, I have to offer some advice to you. I'm willing to cut you a little bit of slack because as a soccer family you may not have thought of this, BUT your SON is wearing a helmet and there isn't a drum and feather on it?!?!?!? Come on guys! ;-) I'm going up to the book store today to get some stickers. Expect them in the mail soon! Tell Nate to boardmail me your address on Utefans so I can get them there ASAP. Praying as always for you guys! -Troy (Jada Rose's Dad)

Babbs said...

Dear Scadlock Family-
I worked with Nate at Hem/Onc at PCMC (that probably feels SOOO long ago now!). Amy Pasmann had let us know about Beckham and I've tried to follow your blog. You are so in our thoughts and prayers. I don't even know if it's appropriate but I saw an ad in a parenting magazine for helmets www.babysfirstheadgear.com. But, stickers always work! ;)
Take care and know people you don't really know are rooting for the Scadlock team!
Love,
Barbara Hart & family

mary said...

Oh my gosh, I love that picture of Beckham and Gwen!! Gwen in her princess costume, and sweet little Beck conked out on her lap. I LOVE it. And the video was so cute too. Seriously, if he didn't have that helmet on, you'd never know he was so sick. He's darling.

Me said...

You are an amazing mother!! We will continue to pray for sweet little Beckham. We hope the solution is in the near future.