Monday, April 20, 2009
Update 4/20/09
I'd intended to do a post last night and tell you all about our weekend, but after finally getting Beckham to sleep, the option of sleep for myself looked way too inviting. But after tucking myself in bed and falling fast asleep for an hour, I kissed what was left of my night goodbye as Beckham had another agenda for us. Who needs sleep anyway? I guess I don't, because the boss (aka Mr. Beckham) obviously calls the shots in this place.
Beckham had a very quiet weekend filled with plenty of walks around the PICU, numerous visits to the fish tank so that he could say "shh" (shh is his word for fish), and a small rise in his platelets (Beckham actually hit the all time low in finally achieving zero platelets, and as of this morning they had were at 3). He was also able to make many new friends and capture the hearts of much of the staff as he made himself right at home wherever he went.
Plasmapheresis was started again yesterday and will continue through Thursday. Beckham seemed to respond well to the treatment yesterday, but as he woke up from the sedation he was completely inconsolable and writhing in pain. After Tylenol and a dirty diaper, Beckham, perked up and played the rest of the day until he fell asleep. He woke soon after (this is where we get to the point of my first paragraph) and was again writhing in pain - very strange for Beckham because he is a baby that has always been easy to console - and immediately threw up. I was able to get him to sleep after a half hour, but he woke up again in pain again. The doctor came in at this time and examined him and and was quite concerned with his behavior (shaking, pulling his legs to his chest, red skin, pulling at his lines). He was again given Tylenol and a glycerin suppository (sounds fun right?) and after about an hour he calmed down (with the help of an Elmo DVD, because who doesn't love to watch Elmo at 3:00 AM?). We're still not sure what is causing his pain, and if it happens again then we will need to take a closer look. His Nephrologist (he is the one in charge of the Plasmapheresis) seemed quite concerned with his pain and will discuss it with his team today. A thought is that it could be his magnesium levels that have decided to take a dive during these procedures. He is being given oral and IV magnesium to replace the loss.
I had a discussion yesterday with his Nephrologist about his thoughts on how successful or unsuccessful this treatment has been. He said that he could not give me a for sure answer on this because Beckham is basically a trial case and we are in the wait and see stage. He did however seem hopeful and made sure to let me know that he and the transplant team are not giving up, but are exploring every option. This means, Rituxin will be given again after his Thursday treatment (Typically, Rituxin should last in his body for a month, but the Plasmapheresis pulled out the dose that was given to him last week) and there is also talk of starting him back on Cellcept (an immuno suppressent that he took until August) to help with the ITP. I am not sure it that will actually happen, but I know that his Nephrologist would like this.
I wish that I had more positive news, but this is where we are for the time being. Continue to pray for our little guy. We have been so touched as we have learned of all of those out there that are praying, pulling and thinking of Beckham. Thank you is not enough, but it will have to do right now until I can find away to hug each of you.
Beckham had a very quiet weekend filled with plenty of walks around the PICU, numerous visits to the fish tank so that he could say "shh" (shh is his word for fish), and a small rise in his platelets (Beckham actually hit the all time low in finally achieving zero platelets, and as of this morning they had were at 3). He was also able to make many new friends and capture the hearts of much of the staff as he made himself right at home wherever he went.
Plasmapheresis was started again yesterday and will continue through Thursday. Beckham seemed to respond well to the treatment yesterday, but as he woke up from the sedation he was completely inconsolable and writhing in pain. After Tylenol and a dirty diaper, Beckham, perked up and played the rest of the day until he fell asleep. He woke soon after (this is where we get to the point of my first paragraph) and was again writhing in pain - very strange for Beckham because he is a baby that has always been easy to console - and immediately threw up. I was able to get him to sleep after a half hour, but he woke up again in pain again. The doctor came in at this time and examined him and and was quite concerned with his behavior (shaking, pulling his legs to his chest, red skin, pulling at his lines). He was again given Tylenol and a glycerin suppository (sounds fun right?) and after about an hour he calmed down (with the help of an Elmo DVD, because who doesn't love to watch Elmo at 3:00 AM?). We're still not sure what is causing his pain, and if it happens again then we will need to take a closer look. His Nephrologist (he is the one in charge of the Plasmapheresis) seemed quite concerned with his pain and will discuss it with his team today. A thought is that it could be his magnesium levels that have decided to take a dive during these procedures. He is being given oral and IV magnesium to replace the loss.
I had a discussion yesterday with his Nephrologist about his thoughts on how successful or unsuccessful this treatment has been. He said that he could not give me a for sure answer on this because Beckham is basically a trial case and we are in the wait and see stage. He did however seem hopeful and made sure to let me know that he and the transplant team are not giving up, but are exploring every option. This means, Rituxin will be given again after his Thursday treatment (Typically, Rituxin should last in his body for a month, but the Plasmapheresis pulled out the dose that was given to him last week) and there is also talk of starting him back on Cellcept (an immuno suppressent that he took until August) to help with the ITP. I am not sure it that will actually happen, but I know that his Nephrologist would like this.
I wish that I had more positive news, but this is where we are for the time being. Continue to pray for our little guy. We have been so touched as we have learned of all of those out there that are praying, pulling and thinking of Beckham. Thank you is not enough, but it will have to do right now until I can find away to hug each of you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
I've been praying so much for Beckham...and for you guys to keep your sanity (we know how that is). I really hope the docs are able to give you good news soon, you need some. If you need anything just let me know, I'm not far away!! Really, just ask. We know how it is to be inpatient and will help if we can.
Heidi, Kevin & Ellie
Hi Kim,
My name is Kendra Spencer, my husband Steve and I were actually at The Heart Friends Meeting Thursday and got the pleasure of hearing you share Beckham's story...What an amazing little guy. Our daughter Olivia has a complex congenital heart defect, HLHS. We've spent a lot of time at the PICU and just adore the staff as well. Another similarity, when I was 9 I was diagnosed with ITP. I spent over a year in and out of the hospital. I had it much worse than they had seen and the treatments weren't working. I was actually the 7th person in the nation to have my spleen removed due to ITP. They gave it a 50/50 shot and here I am.
We will definitely keep you and Beckham in our prayers. Hopefully the doctors can get a good treatment plan going and get Beckham feeling better. Poor little guy. I know those treatments (I don't know the exact name of the ones I had) made me very sick. Major headache and vomiting. Anyhow, sorry to ramble..I just had to connect with you after hearing these rare similarities our families share!
Kendra
www.carepages.com
cp:oliviakathrynfaye
Praying endlessly. I know that the majority of the comments I leave say that, but that is what I am doing! Much love!
Still praying Kim. I'm grateful for blogs so I can stay up to date and know specifically what I should be praying for. Love you Kim.
You are in our thoughts and prayers constantly. We have only known you for a little bit of time, but it seems like an eternity. You are all such kind and loving people. Beckham is a fighter! Please, let us know what we can do?
Love, the Stubblefields
Darn Antibodies... we continue to PRAY for Beckham. It's has to get better... right? The plasmapheresis has to be doing some good.
I wanted to say thanks for talking to the Transplant doc at Iowa City. We have a date setup to go to Stanford on May 15th and I'm excited to see what they have to say.
PRAYING!
We are still healthy over at our house (as in not sick) and willing to take Gwen at any time!!! Hang in there. --Heidi
Praying for little Beckham and all of you!
Kim, you never cease to amaze me at how positive you are in the situations you're in.
We pray for you daily and will continue to do so.
LOVE YOU!
just wanted to let you know we are still praying, Gage asks about you almost every day. You are my hero's how you stay so positive!
Every time you guys are in Iowa City I wish we were there so you could be sleeping at my house instead of the RMD house. Hope it goes good.
Post a Comment