Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Update 4/22/08

Beck's culture for his ear infection came back yesterday and showed that it is a Staff Infection. Yucky for our little guy, but at least it is not another crazy bacteria infection that his doctors have never heard about. His meds seem to be helping a lot (when we can get them down him) and the creams also seem to help. Beckham's ears ooze not only on the inside but behind his ears and besides the oozing they crack and bleed. We have been given a couple of creams for these issues and I think that we have finally found the one that works.

On to the vomiting issue. Nate and I are at a complete loss on what to do about this. Beckham now not only vomits when we are giving him his meds but whenever he gets mad as well. His vomiting started happening a little over a month ago and at first it was once and week and it has now evolved to almost every day and sometimes twice a day. Because of the large amounts that he is vomiting his weight has gone down and now he now has to have weight checks every two weeks. His weight loss is not the issue that most concerns the doctors, but the fact that he is vomiting his meds. He has to have his meds and there is no way around that. We have used every trick that his doctors and others have come up with. Some of them include flavoring his meds, a binki that you can give meds through, a bottle with a syringe that you can place meds in, spacing out his meds, and on and on and on. You can basically name it and we have tried it. Our baby is just to darn smart and he will not be tricked. This basically only leaves one option and that is a GI tube. We are meeting with the GI doctor soon to discuss this and see if he has any other options. I am truthfully okay with the GI tube because I know he has to have his meds and I know that the GI tube will be temporary. I just hate that Beck will have to get another scar on his little body. But the way I look at it is that if he has to have some sort of set back I think that this is the best option.

A great thing for us to report is that he had his cardiology appointment on Friday and everything looked great. His heart looks awesome and the doctors can't say enough about how amazing he looks. A neat thing that happened at Beck's appointment was that the cardiologist who first saw Beckham after he was born and diagnosed him, stopped by the room we were waiting in. When I first met this doctor he was very "professional" (that is probably the best term to use because he was kind but not overly friendly and I am sure that was because he was delivering very bad news to us and did not want to give us false hope) and this time when he was completely different. He came into the room, went over to Beckham and smiled and played with him. He was so sweet and in awe of how well he is doing. His last words to us before he walked out was "miracles do happen." I was so touched by this because he is right. Miracles happen. My little Beckham is a living miracle. I always wondered what makes a person want to become a doctor (more particularly a specialist in something) or a surgeon or so forth and take lives in their hands and see such sad things. Now I know that moments like when he saw Beckham make his job all worth it.

That's all for now. We will keep you posted on anything else. Have a great week!

-Kim, Nate, Gwen & Beck

7 comments:

lexie said...

It is so good to know that Beckham is doing good. Ithink about you guys all the time. Hopefully you will get the throw up thing figured out. Good luck! I will try to give you a call-it has been forever!!!

Heather Ballard said...

I love hearing all the updates. I don't know how you do it all. Bailee is the same age as Gwen and I know at this age, they can be quite handfuls.

{z} said...

I am a believer of miracles...I love them. I'm so grateful for your miracle.
This last week Eli was feeling kind of sick so he wanted me to hold him all the time. As I was holding him one time I just looked at him and felt a huge sense of ah (for lack of a better way of putting it) and I felt so grateful for the miracle of his little life. I can't even imagine coming so close to loosing him as you did with Beck. You are SO strong. Beck is SO strong. I look up to you.

Josh and Liz said...

He is a miracle! You guys must have amazing patience! Harrison and Lily through up if they get upset so I know how aweful that can be and especially if they really need to take meds. I am happy he will have a way to make sure he gets them. We love you guys, you are amazing, Kim, if you ever need to just talk to someone call me anytime! I mean it!

The Three Musketeers and their Mommy said...

Oh, poor little Beckham. That would be so hard Kim! At least with the GI tube he will for sure get his meds. He truly is a miracle. I have loved looking at the pictures and reading all your updates (it's been a while since I have... I've been busy... you know the feeling). Your kids are darling and they have the most beautiful blue eyes!

Christina said...

hey girl just a quick hello to let you know you were missed you at the girls night last Thursday. We can't wait to see you JULY!!!
Love you all,
Chris

kdance said...

Awww, Kim! Your little story at the end made me all teary-eyed! That's awesome.