Monday, February 25, 2008

Update 2/25/08

It's been a great couple of weeks (for the most part) here at the Scadlock household. Being that it has been as low as -32 (with the wind chill) here in Des Moines we surprisingly don't have to much to complain about.

Beckham has had quite a few doctor appointments and each one has been very positive. His cardiology appointment went great and his ECHO, EKG, and X-Ray were all normal. This is such great news and such a different experience then when he was in the hospital and we watched the doctors worried faces after looking at the results of the same tests. At that same appointment he was taken of 2 medications! Beck's last CMV test came back negative so he was taken off of the Valcite which is a blessing because that is a mean drug. He was also taken off of Enalipril because his blood pressure has remained normal for the last couple of months. He should have been down to only 2 meds but sadly a new one was added. He now is taking Prilosec for reflux. Hopefully this will help with his spitting up. I can't tell you how many outfits both Beckham and myself go through each day because we are both covered in his stomach contents.

Another appointment Beckham had was to see where he is developmentally. He is now 6 months old and to be in the developmental range of a 6 month old he had to score between a 90 and 120 on the development test. Beck scored a 112. This is so great for a baby that basically laid still for the first 2 months of his life. He is still behind in many aspects, but we are glad that his brain is developing normally. He still has no interest in sitting up or putting any weight on his legs. I am very alright with this because I don't think that I am ready to have 2 mobile children. He also seems to favor using his right side more than his left. The Nurse Practitioner and Physical Therapist who see him do not seem to be too concerned, but they are going to bring an Occupational Therapist with them the next time they come just to be on the safe side.

At Beck's six month appointment he weighed 16.5 lbs. What a chunk....well not really, but compared to our skinny Gwen he is chunk. He is in the 25% of weight, 75% for height and his head is in the 50%. I think that Beckham's cheeks make up half of his weight! Beck was also given the clearance to introduce solids into his diet. He has only been given rice cereal thus far and he actually loves it.

Looks yummy eh?

The only thing that our family has to complain about is that both of our children have black eyes. Yes, you heard me right, they both have black eyes and NO we do not beat our children! Beckham's black eye was caused when Gwen walked by him with her sippy cup full of milk and accidentally dropped it on him. It hit him right in the eye. Poor little guy!
Gwen's black eye was caused by her finally achieving her goal of crawling out of her crib. She fell flat on her face. Her bruise started on the side of her face but by the next morning it had moved under her eye. Poor baby girl.

Black eyed Beck


Black eyed Gwen day 1


Black eyed Gwen day 2

The black eyed twins

Other than the black eyes we are all doing great and trying to stay healthy and sane. To tell you the truth I can't find it in myself to complain about anything when we have been given something as precious as Beckham's new heart. This winter will end soon and once it does we will emerge from our cave to explore the outside world. Again, a big thanks to everyone for their continuous support of our little family. We feel so blessed for all that we have.

-Kim, Nate, + black & blue Gwen & Beckham

15 comments:

Ben, Rebecca, Natali, Isaac, Spencer said...

Cute cute kids! Yea for being off more meds!

Andrea said...

gotta love those matching bruises...your kids are adorable kim! i am glad to hear that Beckham is doing so well!
P.S (so i'm still waiting to hear when you guys are going on your date...)seriously call me!

geri said...

I'm so glad everything is going so well for your family, how great!

{Erica} said...

love the picture of both kids with their eyes! glad to hear he's doing so well. We can't wait for spring to come ...no more snow and you can come out and play! :)

Anonymous said...

How are you guys?

Unknown said...

haha my psychotic niece is hilarious!!! And wow do I have a freaking cute nephew... too bad I never see them! So that means you should come see me! haha well hopefully I'll see you soon! Love ya!

Debbi said...

I love the baby food face picture! what a cute little beckham! We are glad he is doing well and continue to pray for him (and you guys) all the time. Gage still talks about Beckhams heart every time we talk about hearts and how he got a new one that works great. You have been so blessed and we are blessed to know you!

Heather O'Brien said...

THat is such great news about Beckham. I've been checking your blog for an update! He's getting SO big. What a cutie. How sad that they both have black eyes! They still look adorable.

Laura said...

You guys are all so cute! I'm so glad that your baby is doing good and off some of the medications he was taking! I love the matching bruises too! Child beater!
Thanks for all your kind words... sometimes life is just a big pain in the butt!
Keep in touch sweetie!

Ryan said...

Wow you guys, thanks for reaching out and making contact with us, what a unique connection through Erica.

It doesn't seem like that long ago that we were all hanging out together. Now we're married with children and you both have been through so much in the last 6 months! My wife Kristen works in the NICU and we're fascinated by how well Beckham is doing (By the way Beckham was on our list of names had we had a boy).

I'll pass your blog address on to Rick. He hasn't entered the blogosphere yet...

kdance said...

Yay for having positive dr visits and getting off some meds! Yay also for solids! Has that helped with the spitting up? Evan was a spit-up maniac until solids. He pretty much stopped at that point.

Seriously, I think Evan and Beckham have so many things in common. It's crazy that they are EXACTLY the same in percentiles. Evan didn't start sitting up until he was around 7.5 months, so I'm not surprised Beck isn't yet either.

Anyway, love the blog, as usual! Post again soon :)

P.S. McKenzie emailed me and I told her that we wanted to come visit on a Tuesday some time. What do you think???

The Alands said...

Your kids are so cute! I so glad that Beck is doing well.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Wow 2 black eyes! Its great to hear that Beckham is doing great!

Douglass Family said...

I am so glad that everything is going so well for you guys! Beckham and Gwen are just darling!
Luff ya
Mandy