
Nate and Gwen flew to Utah for the Thanksgiving weekend to attend the funeral of Nate's great grandfather. They left Thanksgiving morning (at 3:00 AM because they were leaving from Omaha) and returned home on Sunday night. They day after they left I was changing Beckham's diaper and noticed blood (Beckham had also been acting really fussy which is very unlike him). I called Beck's nurse and the transplant team in Iowa City and they all thought that it would be best to go to the ER. This of course had to happen the one weekend that Nate is away from me and to make matters worse I could not get a hold of him to tell him that Beck was in the hospital. Thanks to my good friends here in Iowa I was not alone long. If you are reading this, A GREAT BIG THANK YOU AND I LOVE YOU to Erica and Courtney. Thank you also to Bret and Wade who came to the ER to give Beckham a blessing. I cannot express what great friends we have here in Iowa whether they be from our church, work or school. It makes being away from our families so much easier.
It could not be determined in the ER what was wrong with Beckham so the doctors decided to keep him over night and run a whole bunch of tests. This meant a lot of needle pokes...and for you with heart babies you can understand what I mean by "a lot of pokes" because it is very hard to find a vein in them. Each test was coming back negative which was good and bad (good because he did not have some illness and bad because we still did not know what was wrong with him). The doctors also thought that Beck might be lactose or soy intolerant, and since I am his source of food they put me on a no-dairy and no-soy diet. Let me tell you how hard that is. I never realized how many things have dairy and soy in them. I did not notice much of a difference in his stools or in his behavior with the elimination of soy and dairy.
We were released the next day with still no answers to what was wrong but we were still waiting for the results of a couple more tests. A couple days later the results of a CMV (Cytomegalovirus) test came back positive. It was explained to me that almost everyone has CMV during their life but if will show up as a sore throat or something very mild. In an immuno suppressed individual it effects them more seriously. It apparently has effected Beckham's GI tract. He is on a high dose of an antibiotic. This antibiotic can cause babies to become neutropenic (low white blood cells) and he has to have blood work done often to make sure that this does not happen. The only symptom that we have notice is that is gives him horrible diarrea. This makes his already bad diaper rash even worse. I hate changing his diapers because he screams out in so much pain. We have used so many diaper rash creams (over the counter and even behind the counter) and cannot seem to find anything that is a permanent fix. Ilex and Calmoseptine are not even working. Any suggestions? I think that we have tried almost everything. Beck is being such a trooper through the whole thing. He will have to take this med for at least 3 months. He has also recently developed a rash that has covered his whole body. The thought is that it is Eczema. I got some cream for his skin yesterday and I am waiting to see it this works.
We just celebrated Beck's 4 month birthday. He is making huge milestone. He is rolling over and batting at toys and he laughs and coo's non-stop. He has recently found his feet and is always holding at least one. He is doing well for all that he has been through. A physical therapist saw him recently and said that she is so surprised that he is not farther behind. Yesterday he was put on all formula because the doctor still thinks that he might be lactose or soy intolerant. Beck is not thrilled about the change from breast milk to formula but he is doing great. I would not be thrilled either because the new formula smells like old cheese and stale crackers (no lying!). Gwen has also hit a milestone. I can now get a small ponytail in her hair. Those with bald little girls can understand what an exciting thing this is for a mother. Nate and me are also doing great and hitting our own personal milestones. Nate recently finished his semester in school. This has been one of his hardest. He has almost a month off until he starts again. I have also reached a milestone. I think that I have come to the realization that I am not going to be able to relax....which I have also come to realize is just fine. I am always scared that Beck is going to get sick and I can't relax about it and I always seem to freak out every time that Beck gets sick. I know that he will get sick a lot and I know that he will make it through it....but I am the mother and I am entitled to freaking out about it!
We are very excited to leave behind 2007 and move onto 2008. We had such an "eventful" year (to say the least) and we are excited to move forward. We have been so richly blessed this year ands we have so much to be thankful for during this holiday season. We cannot possible thank everyone enough for all that they have done for our little family.
Here's to a very merry Christmas and happy 2008!!! We hope that you enjoy the below video clip of Beck.
Much love,
Kim, Nate, Gwen and Beckham
19 comments:
What a cute video! Baby Beckham is such a cutie and we are all so very excited for all your milestones! Wade has a cousin who uses cooked flour on her baby's bums for rashes, she says it is the only thing that works for her kids (I can find out more about making it if you want). We are so thankful for your family and your positive spirit, you guys are an inspiration!
I am sure you have probably tried it but A&D was the only thing that worked for Anna. Amen to your entitlement to freaking out, no one deserves to freak about things like you do. I am just impressed that you have come to accept it, way to go. We love you guys, let us know if we can ever help!
Cute kids! Nice job Scadzz. I hope Becks gets better soon. Thanks for the update.
You are the most positive people I know!! If there's anything we can do, let me know. Mason had an awful diaper rash and Dr. beebe gave me a "recipe" she made up or something. I never tried it, but it sounds interesting. Let me know if you want it! GOod luck! Painful diaper changes are NO FUN!
Kim,
Beckham is so cute. I love the video. You are amazing! I hate diaper rashes too. They are the worst. Tyler has had an ear infection for two weeks and has been antibiotics and has had an awful rash with blisters. I just caked on vaseline so there was a barrier between his bum and the diaper. His is starting to get better. Good luck.
Jenny Y. Aland
Beck is so cute in that video, he really is so happy. And I know exactly how exciting it can be when you can finally get a pony tail in your little girl's hair. I went through that with Ava. She has know graduated to pig tails! I'm really glad that you have some good friends there to help you out with Beck. I hope you all have a good Christmas. Happy 2008!
Hi, I am a cousin to picu patient
Alyvia. I was reading your blog and for me the magic diaper rash cream is Resinol. Most of the time you have to order it from the drug store but some may have it in. It's been around for a very long time. Good Luck.
Your kids are so stinking cute! And I think Beckham totally looks like you Kim! loved Gwen's "palm tree" (that's what we call it). The video clip made us all smile..thanks for posting it. as for the diaper rash i know of a recipe for some sort of "butt paste" which includes aquaphor, alkaseltzer, and other lovely weird ingredients that my friend had to concoct and make for her baby who had chronic diaper rash....poor little man...i feel so bad for him! anyway, we love you guys and so dang grateful you're in our lives :)
Congrats Kim and Nate,
It sounds that Beck is doing beautifully. I am so excited for you. I wish I could come and see you guys, I really miss you. If you ever can, please come and see us and go see Nauvoo. We would even watch the kids so you can go to the temple or something. Love and miss you guys
Kim, from one spastic mother to another: You are definitely allowed as many freakouts as you need to get out of your system! If it makes you feel any better, I've freaked out multiple times in the past couple of weeks. I'm so grateful for a forgiving husband and son. Beckham's video is so adorable! I personally think that he looks like his mommy.
My little girl Kimberli gets bad diaper rashes too. The creams really have not helped her. What I do is after every diaper change I leave her without her diaper on for atleast 10 minutes. While she is bottom less I play with her. I put a towel down in case there are accidents. I then make sure then her bottom is really really dry before I put any of the creams on. It has seemed to work for her. I am amazed how positive you are with everything that has happened to you. Good luck with everything.
Kim,
Your kids are so so so cute. You guys are doing such a great job, and Beckham is definitely a trooper! Thanks for our salsa and have a great Christmas!!
Mary and Dave
Nate, Kim Gwen, and Beckham--
We hope that you guys are doing well this holiday season. Hopefully Beckham gets over the no fun CMV, continues to progress, and do well. We hope that Gwen continues to grow, do well, and enjoy having a little brother! We hope that you guys will enjoy every moment that you have with your two little ones and with each other!!!! We miss you guys and wish we were closer to help out more!!! Merry Christmas and a HAPPY (less eventful) New Year!
You have NO idea who I am but Baby Noah Martin is my nephew. I am married to a Brown. We have a 25 weeker preemie ( come and visit!!) As some one mentioned resinol. We had some MAJOR acid burn on our little bum... Works wonders... there is also a cream we got at the hosptial call citric aid for acid burns.. Good luck..
Nancy Brown
Oh Kim, I am so sorry to hear about Beck's sickness and sore bum! The poor little babe (and mom)! It looks like you have gotten some advice for his diaper rash but I'll go ahead and put my two cents in. Gabe has really sensitive skin and as a newborn his bottom was basically raw all the time. I tried everything with no success! The doctor told me to try the original A&D (the petroleum jelly kind) because he needed a barrier from the wetness. So I used that and also corn starch (it helps to keep it more dry). I would just cake both of those on him. I also let him hang out for a while without a diaper on like your other friend mentioned. Anyways, best of luck with his diaper rash!
Gwen and Beckham are beautiful! I love the video clip of Beck! What a sweetie! It's great to hear about all of your milestones. You are such an amazing mom Kim! I love you girl!
I hope you guys had a great Christmas!
I am a lurker and I linked here from Noah's Adventure. I too have a transplant patient. My son had a kidney transplant and we are a little over a year past transplant. Our magic diaper rash solution was Corona Ointment and you can only buy it at like IFA, it is to help sores on cows but it works wonders for diaper rash. I would put it on my boys rash at night and by morning it was about 90% gone. I also know what it is like to be worried about your little one getting sick. We are over a year out and for me the fear has honestly relaxed a bit for me. I don't freak out as much when he is sick now. We haven't had CMV yet and the other thing we are watching for is EBV (epsteinbar virus like mono). Our donor was EBV positive and my son was EBV negative and we didn't know the CMV status of our donor but my son was negative so we are watched for those all the time.
Hi Kim & Nate,
This is Heidi Schmidt (remember me from the PICU in August?). Ellie is back for her second surgery and I just got a laptop today...it must have been your old one because your blog came up in the past addresses when I started typing. I thought I would check in and see how little Beckham was doing. It's great to see him getting so big and I'm glad to hear he's doing well with his heart...of course there always has to be extra troubles along the way. Ellie also had bloody stools as an alergic reation to the dairy in my breastmilk. Her second surgery went well. If you want you can visit our carepage, EllieJoSchmidt. Anyway, glad to hear you guys are doing well. Gwen's ponytail is adorable...Ellie has one just like it! :)
I do think about you guys and hope everything stays well.
Heidi Schmidt
You don't know who I am, I found your blog from Sam & Jess Sorensen. You have an adorable family, I hope that you have a less "eventful" 2008. Our daughter had a long, painful bout with a diaper rash. Our usual for diaper rash is Tripple Paste (OTC, but if not ask a pharmacist and they can order it for you). When that didn't work the doctor had us stop using wipes, we would wash her under running water for messy diapers, or squirt her down if she was just wet, then use a hair dryer on low to make sure that she was really dry, we would use maalox, vaseline, tripple paste... barrier and for healing. We would use different ones depending on what was working at the time. They also had us soaking her in an oatmeal (Aveeno collodial oatmeal- it is a powered oatmeal) bath once a day, pasting it on her letting it dry (or helping it along with the hair dryer), washing it off in the bath, using the hair dryer again, applying the ointments, diaper, and down for the night. Good luck. Yes it was a very invilved process, but it worked for us.
Post a Comment