Saturday, October 6, 2007

Warning: Not for those with a weak stomach.

We have been pretty busy here with the Beckhamania of frequent visits to Iowa City and Des Moines area physicians, but the good news is that we leave every visit knowing that our kiddo is doing very well.

A few weeks ago we had the unique oppurtunity to view Beckham's old heart and we thought that we would show a couple of pictures that we took of the defective organ.

This first picture shows Baby Beck's old heart on the right compared to a normal heart, lungs, and trachea that are the correct size for a child the age Beckham was at the time of transplantation. As you can see there is almost no comparison in color or size. Beck's old heart is as large as the all the other organs combined and the darkened tissue on his heart is necrotic (in Greek necrosis = dead) cardiac tissue.

This next picture is a transverse view of the tricuspid (left) and Mitral (right) valve. Looking down into the left and right atria you can see the white hardened tissue of the stenotic valves. I originally was going to post pictures of a healthy Mitral valve along side his former organ, but I understand that everyone else might not enjoy this little anatomy lesson as much as I do. Suffice to say that those valves did not function as they should.

If nothing else seeing his old heart gives us a greater appreciation of the blessings that we have received over the last 2 months (and six days).

Again thank you for everything,
Nathan, Kimberly, Gwenyth, and Beckham

14 comments:

Crystal said...

When I saw pictures of Noah's bad heart... it's hard to describe the feelings I felt. Here was the heart that had grown inside me and was suppose to be keeping my baby alive and now it's sitting on a table, the heart that nearly killed him.... How am I suppose to feel? Then I imagined the new heart beating inside him. The one another mother created and gave to my son. The one that is now keeping him alive. The price that was paid....

God works mighty miracles.

I can not wait to meet you and Baby Beck. Because I know without a doubt that Heavenly Father has big plans for our boys.

~Crys

Anne-Marie said...

Isn't medicine AMAZING??!! Medicine and miracles really are the centers of our lives. We've witnessed it in our house, too (although not to your scale or stress :) ).

Sandi said...

I can't believe the difference in the two hearts. It just makes me so glad that Beckham was able to get a new heart and glad to hear he's doing so good. Kim, it was good talking to you the other day.

Courtney said...

That is absolutely amazing! I really enjoyed your anatomy lesson! It is so incredible that something like that can happen especially to someone as sweet as Beckham. He truely is blessed! I can't wait to see you guys again. I'll be home on Tuesday!

Anonymous said...

Wow...

Anonymous said...

Kim how are you? It's Kyra Witt. I just want to say that our prayers go out to you and your family. I was so emotional when I heard about your little angel. I was so happy to see you at the EFY thing and thought how cool it was that you were pregnant again. What a blessing it is! I hope you are well and getting all the support you could possible get. We love you lot's!!
www.michaelandkyra.blogspot.com

The Three Musketeers and their Mommy said...

Kim, this is Libby (Blanchard). Heather told me about your blog. I have read all about brave Baby Beckham. Wow! I can't imagine what you and Nate have been through as parents. I am so happy to hear that everything has gone so well (for the most part) with all of Beckham's trials in life so far. I'm sure that you and Nate have grown and become stronger through all of this. You are such an amazing mother and person. Your children are both so beautiful! I am sorry to hear about Beck's immune system problems. That would be so scary and difficult. But, I guess you have already been through the most scary and difficult part of all. Your precious baby is truly a miracle. I can't imagine one of my children being so close to death. I am grateful for your family that all of your faith and prayers and also that of others has blessed you so much. I will keep you and your sweet little family in my thoughts and prayers. Thank you for sharing this experience with others. It helps us all to remember how blessed we truly all are. That is crazy to see the difference in the hearts. Kim, I love you!

I have a blog and I will email you an invite to it. I have it only for invited readers.

The Green Plate said...

Great pictures Nate! I wish I had a pic of mine. Last I knew it was still in the freezer at the U. After almost ninteen years though I don't imagine it is looking too great!
We are grateful Beckham is doing well!
Can't wait to see you guys!
Love ya!
Aunt Kally

kdance said...

How amazing that you got to see Beckham's heart, and what a reminder of how much he has been blessed to receive a new one. You guys are awesome.
Karin

Mia said...

That's amazing!

Heather O'Brien said...

WoW! Aaron enjoyed the anatomy of this. That is so crazy. We are so glad that little Beckham is doing okay. We miss you around here though. We'll see you soon.

Douglass Family said...

WOW! Aren't you so grateful for the knowledge of knowing that the Lord loves us enough to give us special spirits, and technology to be able to give us time to be with them here on earth. What a great story that Beckham will be able to tell!

Donk said...

Best of luck Scads and baby Becks! The RCB is behind you.

McGiven Family.... said...

That is truly amazing. I cannot believe that little heart was in him...it is amazing. I enjoyed the lesson and thought the pictures were great! Thanks for that post. It is a reminder of all the miracles in life...Beckham is definitely one of them.