Saturday, September 8, 2007

Beckham is home!!! (9-9-07)

We are sorry for the delay in posts...we have all had a very busy couple of weeks!


After Beckham was moved to the general pediatric floor he was able to make quite a bit of progress. Beck is now completely tube-less! His PICC line was the first to come out, followed by his NG. We worked very hard to get his NG tube out. This was not easy because it would mean that Beck would have to be eating and taking all of his medication orally. The feeding was the harder of the two. Beckham was nursing quite well for the first week of being fed by mouth, but once he was taken off the morphine he started having withdrawal symptoms which made nursing too hard for him to concentrate on. He was also losing weight and breast milk alone was not giving him the adequate calories in his diet needed to gain weight. He was also being given fortified breast milk (extra calories added to the breast milk) feedings NG at this same time, but was having trouble keeping everything down. Beckham was then started on a bottle. He was not very fond of the bottle at first and his spitting up seemed to get worse. Once he got the bottle down the nurse decided to do an experiment and take his NG tube out and see if he could handle all feedings and medications orally while still gaining weight. Beckham actually did better than expected and never had to have his tube put back in. In fact, he started spitting up less. Since then his weight gain has been slow, but steady. The doctors and staff have been so impressed with his progress and stated that Beck is their first patient to be able to nurse post transplant.

We were told that if Beckham started gaining weight then he would be allowed to go home. This became a reality when we watched his weight numbers increase but our hopes were shot when we started to notice a problem with Beckham's urine output. Beckham would go hours (5-8 hours) without peeing. A number of doctors started looking at him to determine the problem. Beckham was born with 2 inguinal hernias (like he needed this problem on top of everything else!), and also was not circumcised after birth due to the fact that he had larger issues to deal with!! The doctors thought that these problems might be the cause of his trouble peeing. The surgical and urology teams were called in to examine Beck (the surgical team was for the hernias and the urologist for the circumcision). The surgical team decided that Beckham did not have hernias, but hydro-seals. This was a relief because they do not pose immediate problems and can be fixed at a later date. The urologist determined that Beckham will need to have a "surgery" in order to be circumcised due to the large hydro-seals, but he did not want to do this to Beckham until he is six months old. We actually have the procedure scheduled for February. The out come of all of this was that the doctors believe that Beckham is fine and his peeing problem is not a big deal.

Beckham was released from the hospital on Thursday September 6, 2007. This was only 3 weeks post transplant! He left the hospital with being on only 3 different types of medications. He is now down to only 2 medications (that is almost nothing for a transplant patient). Beckham is doing great at home. We are all learning to adjust and are so glad to be in our own home and beds! I am especially glad to be home because I never left Iowa City once Beck was transferred up there. Nate was the lucky one and he spent quite a few nights at home in Des Moines during our month away. All I can say is...I love my bed and I have missed sleeping in it!

Beck is actually a very good baby and would sleep through the night if I let him (this is a huge change because Gwen was an angry baby and up all night!). I wake him up twice a night to feed him and I have to make sure that his feedings are right on time. Beckham's rejection medications have to be taken at certain times of the day and Beckham is not allowed to eat 2 hours before and 1 hour after the times his medications are due. I am constantly setting my alarm clock to make sure that I wake up. I'm sure that it will become a normal routine soon. Beckham does struggle some during the day due to the fact that he is going through drug withdrawal from all of the pain medications that he was on. We are hoping that this will pass soon for his benefit. It is very hard to watch him go through this. The drug withdrawals and the medication times are the least of our concerns because they hardest thing we are dealing with is trying to keep Beckham alive with Gwen in the house. Gwen definitely loves her brother...but the problem is that she loves him a little too much!! She wants to be wherever he is, even if there is no room for her. A number of times we have found her trying to sit with him (or on him) in his bouncy chair.

(Ten bucks says they aren't this loving 15 years from now)

We can't express enough our gratitude to the staff and medical team at the University of Iowa hospital. The care that Beckham received was incredible and we are so thankful that he was sent there. We know that we will be back at the hospital weekly and will see many of them again. We are also grateful for the kindness that was shown to Gwen. I am sorry to those at the hospital who Gwen "snubbed." You must remember that she is still the Queen!

We are also grateful to all of our friends and family members and those that we did not even know who prayed and supported us through this ordeal. We know that we have a life long battle ahead of us, but we are so grateful to have Beckham in our home...especially when we did not know if he would ever be able to come home!

On a important note, we need to add the following detail:
Beckham's transplant brought on a lot of problems and one large problem is that he is now considered "immunocompromised" (a state in which the immune system's ability to fight infectious disease is compromised or entirely absent). Beckham will not be able to be taken into public places for a year and visiting Beckham in our home will require you to be in very good health. We ask that if you wish to visit, that you are not in large groups and that you have not had an illness, been around someone with an illness or think you may be getting an illness. Also, if you have had the "Flumist" flu vaccination nasal spray you will not be able to be near Beckham. Beckham cannot receive any "live" vaccines (chicken pox, mmr, etc.) and the Flumist is considered a live vaccine. You can still be around Beckham if you have had the Flu shot instead. We have plenty of hand sanitizer and sanitizing spray at our home and we ask that you use this whenever you are here. Please know that this is not meant as an insult!! We follow the same precautions. Gwen thinks that the hand sanitizer is a treat and immediately licks her hands after we put it on her. Gross! We will be grateful when a year is up and we are able to come out of our "bat cave!"

Love and thanks,
Kim, Nate, Gwenyth K, and Homeboy Beck

26 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

congrats!! We're so glad you're home and that things are going so well! Please don't hesitate to call if you need a break with Gwen or if there's anything we can do!! (Don't feel like making dinner, etc...) Congrats again!

{Erica} said...

We're so glad you guys are home..it must feel good to be in your own house! It's been so good being able to see you guys again and just know that we're here for you!

Crystal said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I've been having such a horrible day and this news just made up for it. How wonderful!! I am just so happy that things have turned out the way they have. Please keep me updated on Beckhams progress.
~Crys

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS! I bet it feels GREAT to be home. I'm so happy for your family. Little Beckham is such a fighter! What a sweet baby! Enjoy your new baby AT HOME NOW!!! YAY!!!

{Erica} said...

PS That first pic of Beck is hillarious!! what kissable cheeks! and he's doing a zoolander face :D

McGiven Family.... said...

I am so happy for you! I have been checking your blog every day to see what was going on and today I was in Utah at our parents' ward and heard the good news! I am so glad to hear that everything is going so well! What a fighter and strong little guy you have...he is so cute! You are an amazing family! I am glad he is home!

Unknown said...

A-W-E-S-O-M-E !!! I am so excited to hear that Beck is home. And so much sooner than expected. Looking forward to seeing you in Oct. I will phone or e-mail with more details. Love to all of you.

Grandma Nancy

Debbi said...

Congratulations! That is such great news. It is amazing to see how fast prayers can be answerd. We continue to pray for his health every day! You guys are amazing!If you ever need anything dropped by your door just let us know!

Heather O'Brien said...

Hooray!!! We are so excited for you. I can only imagine how your bed felt Kim after sleeping on that tiny couch! You are a trooper! We are so glad you're back home, but we will miss you! I will look forward to watching Gwen for Beckham's doctor's visits, so plan on it!

*Abby* said...

So glad you guys are back... even if we aren't! I wish we were there to help you guys out, but let me know if I can do anything from far away... I am realy good at ordering pizza and can even have it delivered!

Natalie said...

Kim, that is so exciting. I cannot believe that he is home. I'm so grateful for you all that things went well with his transplant. Good luck with Gwen! John thinks that Macy flinches when Avery comes near, that she's scared of her! Anyway, so glad that everything is good and that you're back in your bed!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! This is so great, and I love that picture of Gwen and Beck. He is so cute. We are totally supportive of the germ warfare-- certainly you guys have to be extra cautious. But please please please please call if we can bring you dinner or treats or something while you are quarantined for a year. It's a small price to pay to have to stay home with that sweet baby, huh? We are so happy for you guys.

Nicole said...

We are so glad you are all home & that Beckham is doing so well.
-Jeff & Nicole Willard

Anonymous said...

Scads, I'm so happy for you and your family. Congratulations! Good luck with the next year and for the rest of everything else.

Thanks for updating the blog as well, it's been an amazing journy for the readers. You and your family are so well grounded it's been a pleasure learning from you and this experience. Hope to see you one day at an RSL game here in SLC.

Unknown said...

I am so trilled to see that Beckham made it home! It was a joy caring for Beckham as well as your family on the PICU. CONGRATS! Good luck to you!!

The Green Plate said...

Speaking as a transplant recipient... Hand Sanitizer is my best friend!!
Glad little Beckham is doing so well!
Love ya!
Aunt Kally

Courtney said...

We are so excited for your family that Beck is able to be at home. We love you and are here if you need us!

Becky T said...

Congratulations on having Beckham home. That is wonderful news! and what a doll he is! I wish the best for you and your beautiful family.

Anonymous said...

Beckham is such a beautiful baby! What lucky parents. Gwen is so cute too! I love to see their pictures. She sounds just like Harrison trying to sit on Lily all the time or crawl into her crib with her. I hope that feeding and routine get easier for you because I know that can be frustrating. We love you guys!
Josh and Liz Durrant

Anonymous said...

Congrats on Beck's homecoming!!!! He looks sooo good!! Much different than the last time we saw him. Just wanted you to know that your family is still in our prayers and we wish you the best of luck!!!

Stephanie and the other Mercy NICU nurses that love Beckham :)

Dan and Amanda Arrhenius said...

Hooray! THis is the most wonderful news! We are so happy for you and your family. If there is anything that you guys stand in need of please feel free to ask. Keep up the good work mom and dad. You guys are soooo awesome!
hang in there,
Amanda

Kent and Leisy said...

kim, I just randomly ran onto your blog! what an amazing and crazy last little while you guys have gone through. I'm so glad everything has worked out! beckham is adorable!

Anonymous said...

Welcome home! I never had the privilege of meeting your family but have been following Beckham's story for a while now. I am the co-founder of Help-A-Heart who provided you with some gas cards during Beck's hospital stay. I left them with a social worker so I hope that you received them. Our website is www.help-a-heart.com & we actually have a walk in Ankeny this Saturday to help raise money to help other families. Beckham is truly a miracle & you seem like amazing parents! I'm thankful for hearing about your story.

Emily Graber
www.carepages.com "gabegraber"

Crystal said...

Kim and Nate- I am totally stalking your blog waiting to read an update on Beck's progress. Please post soon before I go crazy!! I hope you are all doing well.
Much Love,
~Crystal, Noah's Mommy
www.noahsadventure.com

Anonymous said...

This may come a little late, as I have just read the update, but we are SO happy for you and your family. What a miracle your little boy is. Our medical technology blows my mind!! I wish there were some way to express how glad I am that things went as well as they did... considering. Good luck and enjoy that sweet little baby. It is true that one day Gwen may not be so fond of her little brother, so enjoy that while you can!! :)
Love ya, Kaycee Turek (and family)

The P*dunc's said...

Kim-
What an amazing journey you all have been on. You are an incredible person! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Love,
Kristen Steele Duncan